Choke kills motor

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalbo

Reaction score
I live in a warm climate and my 1986 Vmax starts straight up, every time without using the choke, even after several days not used. If I use the choke the bike will not start and if I use the choke after the engine has started, the bike immediately cuts out. Any ideas. The bike runs great, but is a little rich at idle.

I live in a warm climate and my 1986 Vmax starts straight up, every time without using the choke...
The bike runs great, but is a little rich at idle.

You have answered your own question.

The engine is already 'warm' due to the ambient temperature and the richness at idle is sufficient for the motor to fire up.

The question, perhaps, could be 'how do I lean out the idle mixture?'

i) Ensure that the air filter is clean and if it hasn't been replaced in living memory do so.
ii) If the tamper proof plugs have been removed set the idle mixture screws to 2 1/2 turns out. If they are still in place move on to...
iii) Check the the choke plungers are fully seated when the choke is off.
iv) Check that the pilot air jets are correct.
v) If all the above is OK and the bike runs well then live with it.

iii) is very common. Gunk gathers at the plungers making them sticky. A little brush with wd40 should be enough to clean them so they can retract to normal position

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The "choke" causing a warm engine to die is completely normal, even one with a lean idle.

Back