Help with '85 carb issues?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwhite240

Reaction score
Hi All -

Trying to get my '85 Vmax running after 4 years off the road. I had the carbs rebuilt. Gas tank has been removed and POR-15 treated. New gas filter. Fuel pump disassembled and cleaned. Pump spins up with no problem. At first bike would start but needed to have choke on to stay running. Removed carbs and did a dry set of all four carb floats. Reset air-fuel mixture screws to factory setting (2.5 turns out). Then shot-gunned all 4 carbs. Will mostly stay running now without choke at 900-1000 rpm.

Main symptom is engine severely bogs when advancing the throttle. This has been the case since carbs were rebuilt. Also, the spark plugs on the right side of the bike are a bit fouled/wet. Right rear spark plug had some carbon accumulation.

Currently replacing spark plugs and wires. I have ordered Motionpro Syncpro carb tunner to obviously sync carbs. Any thoughts on what could be at the root of my issue? :ummm:

Thanks in advance!!!

Duh, I guess putting the top of the air box on helps. Now just need to adjust the carbs so that the rpm's drop after advancing the throttle. More to follow.

Duh, I guess putting the top of the air box on helps. Now just need to adjust the carbs so that the rpm's drop after advancing the throttle. More to follow.

Check for binding cables-routing and maybe a bent tab on the idle adjustment screw if you laid them down on their sides for any reason.

Latest posts

Back