Water in oil

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VmaxZilla

Reaction score
I have a 1989 Vmax 1200 I got cheaply in trade and I currently have 3 1 slow starter cranking 2 Valve noises and the worst is 3 massive amounts of water in the oils I’m going to pull the starter and check brushes and possibly upgrade to a 4 brush starter so my questions are

1 what year and model of bike do I get a 4 brush starter from and does it still need an internal ground wire mod

2 can valves be clearances with heads removed or is the timing chain required and where do I go to purchase shims

3 beside a cracked block what ares can water leak into the oil I have check the water pump and it’s ok and I haven’t check compression to see if any one cylinder has lower compression from diagrams it looks like the water jackets only cross at the head

Hello new member,

90-07 Starter (recognized by the absence of screws through the side of the body of the starter). I have them used but I won't be as cheap as others may be (though I warranty what I sell).

Valve noise? These are noisy engines and tend to get tighter and not looser as they wear. If it's excessively loud then there may be something significantly bad going on. The valve adjustment is done with the heads/cams still in the engine. I do have a loaner shim kit program you can use. Email me for that as well.

Water can get in from many locations. The main one tends to be the seal on the waterpump which isn't something you can verify from the outside though the mechanical seal will also usually fail causing leaks through the weep hole. The other locations could be crossover plugs (look behind the spark plugs to see these). There are three orings and any of them could cause leakage. The PCV system. Multiple large orings there can cause leaking into the engine. Head gaskets though usually not as common to fail on a stock motor.

Latest posts

Back