#1 and #2 cylinders dead HELP!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MANA1

Reaction score
Last week I decided to clean my carbs due to finding rust in the fuel filter and lack of power at WOT, bike sounded like a helicopter..
Yanked the carbs, cleaned, and reset the float levels. Put it all back together. Resynced the carbs and Pulled #1 spark plug wire, no difference in idle. Pulled #2 plug wire no difference in idle. Bike is now nunnig on only #3 and #4 cylinders. Slight popping but idles fine and no lag in throttle response.

Test already done:
carbs cleaned/jets/idle circut
float levels checked
carbs synced
new plugs
new carb boots
strong spark at both plugs
Engine head work by mechanic from japan (previous owner) 600 miles ago

Not checked
compression test
electrical system

Would the TCI have any affect on the dead cylinders even if they are getting a good spark?:bang head:

A couple more things to check first:

- are all four exhaust pipes warming up or are two staying cold?

- since you found rust in your carbs/fuel, you NEED to look inside your fuel tank with a bright flashlight. If you see any rust, you'll want to pull your tank out, clean / prep / treat it with POR15 or the like, or replace it with a non-rusty one. As long as there's rust in there there'll also be rust in all your fuel hoses, fuel filter, fuel pump and carbs, causing havoc.

Don't ask me how I know that...

TCI should be fine if you're getting a strong spark on all 4 plugs. If your tank's rusty, after you treat/replace it you will need to go through your carbs once more I'm afraid..

Thanks, guess I need to bite the bullet and tackle the tank rust. The carbs in question also have seized fuel screws so I can't really clean it as thorough as I should. If the fuel screws are way out of spec (tried an EZ out but just stripped the metal off the EZ out so the bit no longer bites) would that play a factor in the dead cylinders?

Yes - if the A/F screw holes are clogged up and the screws seized in them it won't be good.

Check it out - a few members are selling complete working carb racks right now - it might be your best best to consider a swap. Maybe someone might even be interested in an exchange.

I'll definately look into picking up some carb bodies if I can't get a machine shop to drill out the screws. Thanks again for your help; i'll make sure I pay it forward.

Latest posts

Back