What kind of bike is this?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First thing that came to mind was a Bultaco.........but the more I look I'm not sure. Heads don't look right

:ummm:My guess is ............ That's not the right seat .

Sorry , I'm a seat guy

Is it a FUGLY? LOL :)

It certainly is THAT!! :barf:

:ummm:My guess is ............ That's not the right seat .

Sorry , I'm a seat guy

Haha....not sure how much of this thing is original....looks to be all sorts of cobbling going on.

Apparently it has Lucas electrics so I guess it's some sort of Limey bike....:confused2:

I say Italian, like a 250 twin (Mondial?), maybe German...Sachs? Early 1970's I would say, or very late 1960's. Obviously a 4-stroke, not a 2-stroke, because of the valvetrain visible in the head. I think a twin because of the angled plug, sure to have another on the other side. The cradle frame looks like the engine is a stressed member, I can't see tubes under the engine; and triangulated rear, Betor or Ceriani-style forks, conical front brake, usually used on dirtbikes to cut a bit of weight. The carb looks like some sort of pre-CV Bing, w/its squared-off throttle slide body. It's some-type of scrambler that an owner customized w/high-riser handlebars to make it more-chopperish. He failed.

It certainly is THAT!! :barf:

Haha....not sure how much of this thing is original....looks to be all sorts of cobbling going on.

Apparently it has Lucas electrics so I guess it's some sort of Limey bike....:confused2:

You're right......I'm pretty sure that is a Triumph 250

It looks to have what reminds me of a early DT-1 rear fender and taillight. I have little experience with early Italian and British motorcycles though. The bike for sure had a cross eyed mod monkey working on it!

Nah, the bike you put-up is a 250 single. Pretty-sure this is a twin in the auction site, but maybe not. It almost looks like a 400 parallel-twin Kawasaki 4-stroke, w/scabbed-on gastank and other tins, none of which look to fit well, which makes me think they aren't original to the bike.

The Triumph 250 Trailblazer is based on a TR25W and the TR25W came in street or scrambler styles. I'm not too-sure about that being a 1971, I don't think they had that boxy muffler w/the perforated cover until '72 or '73. Here is a TR25W, I believe this is a '71:

11846d1234294545-tr25w-paint-colours-dsc02774.jpg

If you look at the cyl castings there is a vertical bar in the middle of the auction bike which the Triumph apparently doesn't have. The head castings are noticeably different from the Trailblazer. The side cover lines are different, though the BSA 'egg' unit construction shape is similar.

Yes, that does look like it. That's not the actual auction bike is it?

fi1.cgi
742840165_tp.jpg

One of my fire-rescue co-workers bought one new, a TR25W, and he used it for a couple of years, going to college and work. He took a spill not serious and since he had small kids, he decided to store the bike. I knew he had it in his shed, and probably 15 years later he asked me to get it running for him. The piston was stuck, I got him a new sleeve & had the machine work done to restore it to stock piston displacement, and w/the usual work to get a stored bike back onto the road safely, I gave it to him. He rode it a bit, and then offered it to me for what he spent on the resuscitation. I bought it, kept it for a bit, and then sold it to a British guy who shipped it back to the Motherland. It looked just like the one in the big pic I posted earlier. I have some prints of it in my photos, but not digital. It had a pleasant exhaust note, and a bit of valve operation noise that encouraged you to just plod along.

Apparently it has Lucas electrics so I guess it's some sort of Limey bike....

Ahh......Lucas "The Prince of Darkness". :biglaugh:

My 73 Bonneville, just like I think every year Boneville has a 3 position switch on the headlight.

The 3 positions are commonly described as: OFF.....DIM......and FLICKER. :rofl_200:

My 73 Bonneville, just like I think every year Boneville has a 3 position switch on the headlight.

The 3 positions are commonly described as: OFF.....DIM......and FLICKER. :rofl_200:

:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Yes, that does look like it. That's not the actual auction bike is it?

fi1.cgi
742840165_tp.jpg

No, it's not the auction bike.

BONEville....:rofl_200:

Had not heard that one before.

Why do the Brits drink warm beer?.....Lucas made refrigerators!

The jokes are endless.....

Back