" Fuel Light Came On But Bike Never Died "

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COP RUNNER

Reaction score
ON MY WAY HOME FROM " DANNYMAX'S " SUNDAY , I WAS GOING 80 MPH'S FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS & WAS IN HEAVY TRAFFIC , I WAS IN A " ZONE " PAYING ATTENTION TO EVERYTHING , SO I DIDN'T GET KILLED , THEN I WAS THINKING MAN I'VE GONE A LONG TIME ON THIS FUEL , SO I LOOKED DOWN & MY FUEL LIGHT WAS ON , BUT MY BIKE NEVER DIED & I HAD GONE 137 MILES AT THAT POINT ! ( IF IT HAD DIED , I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN RUN OVER ) , SO I QUICKLY SWITCHED IT OVER TO RESERVE & HAD TO GO TO THE NEXT GAS STATION ! .. SO I NOW HAVE GONE 155.7 MILES , MY TANK TOOK 3.6 GALLONS , THIS IS 43.25 MILE A GALLON , SO MY BIKE AS PER THE " FACTS " OF THIS , MY BIKE SHOULD HAVE DIED/SPUTTERED AT 129.75 MILES , AND IT DIDN'T ! ... SO MY QUESTION IS ; " IS THERE SOME FEATURE THAT THE BIKE WILL SWITCH TO RESERVE AUTOMATICALLY " IF YOUR GOING OVER A CERTAIN MPH'S SO IT DOESN'T SPUTTER AND YOU LOSE CONTROL OR SOMETHING BECAUSE YOUR GOING SO FAST , OR IS IT SOMETHING ELSE ? ... :confused2:

Tim, I'd say it's either your reserve switch or fuel pump relay. Since the lamp lit your fuel sender is okay. Read the continuity for the reserve switch and make sure it changes when you flip it the opposite way.

you think that maybe you lucked out and it just turned on the fuel light when you looked down. ive gotten 43 mpg before on the other bike. rare as it is but it did only happen when i drove the bike at 80-85mph. :ummm::confused2:

sounds like with the traffic you lucked out, glad to hear :clapping:

you think that maybe you lucked out and it just turned on the fuel light when you looked down. Ive gotten 43 mpg before on the other bike. rare as it is but it did only happen when i drove the bike at 80-85mph. :ummm::confused2:

sounds like with the traffic you lucked out, glad to hear :clapping:
I GUESS ITS POSSIBLE , WHEN I LEFT DANNY'S , I FILLED IT ALL THE WAY TO THE RIM ! .. IT HAD STOPPED EVEN GURGLING DOWN AND WOULDN'T TAKE ANOTHER DROP ! ... OR LIKE I HAVE ALWAYS SAID " GOD LOVES ME " AND WANTED ME TO MAKE IT HOME TO MY SON ! ... I HOPE ITS THE LATTER ! ... :eusa_pray: ... THAT WOULD MEAN , THAT " GOD DOES LOVE ME " & THERES NO PROBLEM WITH MY BIKE ! .. :punk:.. :clapping:

wonder if hooking up a volt meter to the pump, then taking it down the road til the light comes on at 80 mph and see if it gets power as if you switched over the res switch?

my bike has run on the red light without the res on and kept going no issues, other times when i switch the res on it turns off the red light what the deuce is up with that????

When my red fuel light comes on, I have just about one mile to switch to reserve. Otherwise, she sputters, and dies if I don't switch quick enough.

When my red fuel light comes on, I have just about one mile to switch to reserve. Otherwise, she sputters, and dies if I don't switch quick enough.
+1 I get the same results most times, other times they seem to come on at approximately the same time. The light is on every time it starts sputtering clamoring for me to change over to reserve.

Probably the light popped on a few seconds before you looked down. Once the light is fully "on" the pump stops, and at a moderate highway cruise it will take around a minute to drain the bowls and start sputtering.

43 is really good, but not impossible. I've seen 41-42 a couple times. I've actually found I get best mileage cruising just before v-boost. No kidding I typically see around 37-38 normally, and if the whole tank is spent at 95-100(just before v-boost with the venture drive), I get 40+. I've definitely noticed a trend I get better mileage running the bike hard.

Since the Max has kind of a rich midrange when it's on the needles, maybe getting it closer to the high speed jets leans it out a bit? After dropping the stage 1 needles to only the second clip, I also picked up a mpg or two pretty consistently.

Geesh, Tim looks bad-ass. I think I'll go watch Hellraiser now......

LoL, I didn't notice the assless chaps. I guess he has a case of squatch butt.

I think the spikes are causing air turbulence, which in turn causes low pressure & you are acually getting sucked down the road by your own atmospheric pressure change. Good job. :biglaugh:

Maybe I should spike the bejesus out of my F150 & see if it works on trucks too...

I think the spikes are causing air turbulence, which in turn causes low pressure & you are acually getting sucked down the road by your own atmospheric pressure change. Good job. :biglaugh:

Maybe I should spike the bejesus out of my F150 & see if it works on trucks too...

Now THAT's funny!! LMAO :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

since i seem to get coated in bugs and little flying objects when i ride and CR looks fresh as a daisy i think with his current ensemble he scares not only insects out of his way but the air also........ hence the awesome fuel mileage :ummm::punk:

i bet it had just popped as well on the way to pitts i saw about 138 before the light came on, thought the whole system was broken!

funny on V2 ive gone 110 and no light yet, actually dont think i ve seen the light on this one.... cant remember but that being said im going riding today and i bet you two feet out of the driveway the light will come on hahahahah

kick ass day for a ride, suppose to rain tomorrow. any Montrealers kicking around for a cruise and bevy later on?

are you serious traveled 250 km (156 miles) with just a gas tank. WoW. beforre some time i posted a thread about fuel consumption . my bikes in 115 km (71 miles) hits the red light and in 145 km (91 miles) is out of gas. and all in this forum said that is normal. and now i am reading 156 miles with one gas tank???? someone give me his light please....... i do 156 with almost 2 tanks......?????

My light usually comes on around 115 miles with daily commute. If I take it wasy and stick to interstate I get 43-46 mpg. I have Morley's kit with Mark's exhaust and am running open vboost.

Back