Front wheel Bearings 1986 VMAX

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1978RJC

Reaction score
Hello Friends,

I have been rebuilding my forks on my 1986 this week and upon removing the wheel I saw that the bearings are not sealed but open rollers. They seem to be fine, but I thought since I had the wheel off I would replace. Should I go back with the open rollers or replace with sealed units? And does anyone have SKF, NOK, BCA, NTN, or any other brand's part numbers for the bearings and seals? I don't wanna buy online when I can run down to NAPA and pick them up locally. Thanks so much! This is a great forum and I have learned a lot from all of you!
Richie-

Hello Friends,

I have been rebuilding my forks on my 1986 this week and upon removing the wheel I saw that the bearings are not sealed but open rollers. They seem to be fine, but I thought since I had the wheel off I would replace. Should I go back with the open rollers or replace with sealed units? And does anyone have SKF, NOK, BCA, NTN, or any other brand's part numbers for the bearings and seals? I don't wanna buy online when I can run down to NAPA and pick them up locally. Thanks so much! This is a great forum and I have learned a lot from all of you!
Richie-

"We can complain that rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses." Abe Lincoln

Those bearings have been superceded by sealed units so I would go that way.

All balls bearings seem to hold up good, not sure if you prefer one brand to the next or not. But, that’s who I used for all of my bearings in my bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All balls bearings seem to hold up good, not sure if you prefer one brand to the next or not. But, that’s who I used for all of my bearings in my bike.

I've never used that brand on a street bike. I've bought wheel bearings from them for a dirt bike and was sincerely disappointed. Maybe they'd yield better results on the street (less mud/water exposure)

I had a bad feeling as soon as I opened the box. The parts I received were made in China. All balls doesn't actually make bearings. They just put someone else's product in their box. In my case, the brand I received was KML. I think all balls use a few different vendors.

I installed the new wheel bearings. Both front and rear sets lasted only a couple rides. The OEM bearings lasted a couple decades.

I decided my time is more valuable than any savings I may initially see when purchasing a cheap alternative to a quality part.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've never used that brand on a street bike. I've bought wheel bearings from them for a dirt bike and was sincerely disappointed. Maybe they'd yield better results on the street (less mud/water exposure)

I had a bad feeling as soon as I opened the box. The parts I received were made in China. All balls doesn't actually make bearings. They just put someone else's product in their box. In my case, the brand I received was KML. I think all balls use a few different vendors.

I installed the new wheel bearings. Both front and rear sets lasted only a couple rides. The OEM bearings lasted a couple decades.

I decided my time is more valuable than any savings I may initially see when purchasing a cheap alternative to a quality part.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Wow, that’s not good. I have them in front, rear and do believe steering head as well, I’m not 100% sure but the swing arm? Idk. But no issues. I pull half my bike apart every winter out of boredom, and go through stuff and bearings always feel good. This winter the rim bearings will be oem Suzuki

I ended up using all balls. I used to be in the parts business, and I can tell you this with much certainty. Most of all of the bearings sold in the US come from China. There are exceptions, but almost all are imports. The All Balls bearings looked great and seemed as though they will fit the bill. Liked the price too. Free with my amazon rewards. Speaking of Amazon. I was surprised to see all of the parts that were available there. Simply typed in Yamaha Parts Numbers and was able to find some things I never thought i would find online for much less than our local dealer. I still feel a little bad though because the dealership guys at Redline Cycles in Myrtle Beach are super great.

I have used All Balls bearings and have never had a longevity issue w/them. Pretty-sure Tucker-Rocky and Parts Unlimited carry them.

Latest posts

Back