Wandering

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goose66

Reaction score
So I just picked up my 94 yesterday and on my first ride I'm noticing it seems to wander a little at speeds below 40. I've been reading through some of the posts on this forum and I want to check to see if the head bearings are loose. My question is how can I raise the front wheel off the ground safely. All I have at my disposal is a car floor jack and jack stands. Is it possible with these items? I'm assuming that because of the 4 into 1 exhaust the center stand was removed by the previous owner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

So I just picked up my 94 yesterday and on my first ride I'm noticing it seems to wander a little at speeds below 40. I've been reading through some of the posts on this forum and I want to check to see if the head bearings are loose. My question is how can I raise the front wheel off the ground safely. All I have at my disposal is a car floor jack and jack stands. Is it possible with these items? I'm assuming that because of the 4 into 1 exhaust the center stand was removed by the previous owner.

Low speed wandering indicates the steering head is too tight.

I've never used an auto floor jack to lift a Vmax but most likely someone here has.

I've used a car jack several times. Just use a block of wood and you can lift it carefully at the oil pan but preferably the frame (I have headers and couldn't get a good lift on the frame). Then use some towels and jack stands on the crash bars to hold it up straight while you work.

A good helper would be great. If doing it by yourself then stage the jack stands and use the kickstand (centerstand if you have one) to assist in balancing.

Low speed wandering indicates the steering head is too tight.

I've never used an auto floor jack to lift a Vmax but most likely someone here has.

I should also have mentioned it can also mean that the steering head bearing is completely dry or shot as well.

If after you get the frontend up and adjust the nuts, it still feels tight or "notchy" , then you'll have to go further and examine the bearings.

Well I ordered a lift stand. Should be here in about a week or so. In the mean time I took her out for a long ride today and things seemed 100% better. I'm not sure if things worked themselves out or maybe I was imagining it all. Either way as soon as I get the lift I'll check everything out

Very tiny adjustments at a time and test. My last adjustment was 1/ 64th to 1/32nd of a turn to correct the problem. Go too far and you get a wobble that can be dangerous.

Latest posts

Back