My 1985 PCW restoration monkeying

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: My 1985 PCW 1260 Restoration Complete!!

Great Job!! The engine really pops. How does it run with the new engine and driveline?

I bought it with the 1260/chain already.. Its my first max and probably be my only max. I never had the pleasure of riding a max with the shaft... lucky me! I found it while I was looming for a vmax and said I had to have it.. drove 6 hrs each way in a snow storm to get it lol. It should've took 6 hrs round trip!

Looks Great i agree With Wild go for the stainless i bought a kit for my 85 they look great it comes with bolts and screws for everything master cyl foot peg brackets etc

Lookin GOOOOOOD my friend!

Wish I had a chain drive.

If you come across a matching front wheel for a decent price, snatch it up! That will really set off the great looks of your bike!

I LOVE that tail light mod too. I really need to get on that.

Where did you get the license plate holder....another that is on my list!

Great job......gotta love that sense of accomplishment.

Oh, and might I recommend using meguiars NXT Metal Polysh for polishing. It leaves behind a residual protectant that acts as a barrier to help delay oxidation.
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/meg-g-13005.html

Definitely get a mothers powerball for quickly and easily polishing the big surfaces.

And I also follow up my polish with a wipe of Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer. It leaves behind a polymer that is hygroscopic and seals out air and moisture.
http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.do?q=4616

Using both these products keeps the polish nice and shiny for quite a bit longer than just simple polish. Some polishes actually contain oxidizers that make the metal uniformly oxidize over time so you have to use more of their product! :damn angry:

If you really dont want to polish much at all, you can do it every other year or so using sharkhide products......I havent tried it myself, but have heard nothing but good things about it from the classic car gurus.
http://sharkhide.com/

Here are some pics of some of my polished parts. Endless hours of polishing and days of black fingernails. Its worth it though, looks great when done!!:punk:

Attachments

• Friend Blown Max by UFO 007.jpg
    Friend Blown Max by UFO 007.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Friend Blown Max by UFO 017.jpg
    Friend Blown Max by UFO 017.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 40
  • Friend Blown Max by UFO 014.jpg
    Friend Blown Max by UFO 014.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Friend Blown Max by UFO 009.jpg
    Friend Blown Max by UFO 009.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Friend Blown Max by UFO 018.jpg
    Friend Blown Max by UFO 018.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 39

Lookin GOOOOOOD my friend!

Wish I had a chain drive.

If you come across a matching front wheel for a decent price, snatch it up! That will really set off the great looks of your bike!

I LOVE that tail light mod too. I really need to get on that.

Where did you get the license plate holder....another that is on my list!

Great job......gotta love that sense of accomplishment.

Oh, and might I recommend using meguiars NXT Metal Polysh for polishing. It leaves behind a residual protectant that acts as a barrier to help delay oxidation.
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/meg-g-13005.html

Definitely get a mothers powerball for quickly and easily polishing the big surfaces.

And I also follow up my polish with a wipe of Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer. It leaves behind a polymer that is hygroscopic and seals out air and moisture.
http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.do?q=4616

Using both these products keeps the polish nice and shiny for quite a bit longer than just simple polish. Some polishes actually contain oxidizers that make the metal uniformly oxidize over time so you have to use more of their product! :damn angry:

If you really dont want to polish much at all, you can do it every other year or so using sharkhide products......I havent tried it myself, but have heard nothing but good things about it from the classic car gurus.
http://sharkhide.com/

Here are some pics of some of my polished parts. Endless hours of polishing and days of black fingernails. Its worth it though, looks great when done!!:punk:

Awesome man thanks for the info!! I bought liscense plate hold right off ebay for like 30 bucks but I wish I would've bought one of these from cycle one off there only 45 min from me.
http://www.cycleoneoff.com/V-max-side-mounted-plate.html

Bit more pricey but look sweet!! And I don't k ow with the shaft what size the bolt it but the one I bought was still slightly bigger than the bolt that goes through the tire..
Also bought LED liscense player lights on ebay. They said made in USA:biglaugh: hard wired those in with environmental splices and just notched my liscense plat to slide underneath lights.

I really like the tail light especially that it flashes 3x when you hit the breaks!!

Ill write down that polish info.. I put rejex (made by corrosion x) on then 2 coats of carrnuba wax for now.. next winter im gonna do it a little better started rushing and some parts still have sanding scratches in them lol..

And yes front wheel is a must it looks goofy right now lol

Awesome man thanks for the info!! I bought liscense plate hold right off ebay for like 30 bucks but I wish I would've bought one of these from cycle one off there only 45 min from me.
http://www.cycleoneoff.com/V-max-side-mounted-plate.html

Bit more pricey but look sweet!! And I don't k ow with the shaft what size the bolt it but the one I bought was still slightly bigger than the bolt that goes through the tire..
Also bought LED liscense player lights on ebay. They said made in USA:biglaugh: hard wired those in with environmental splices and just notched my liscense plat to slide underneath lights.

I really like the tail light especially that it flashes 3x when you hit the breaks!!

Ill write down that polish info.. I put rejex (made by corrosion x) on then 2 coats of carrnuba wax for now.. next winter im gonna do it a little better started rushing and some parts still have sanding scratches in them lol..
Just did some reading on Rejex, sounds like good stuff. What has your experience been?

Awesome experience with it!!! we use it on our helicopters at work.. For aluminum i dont know yet but for vehicles awesome! water beads off for months and alot easier to apply than wax.. I also use corrosion x on my truck works great!! I recoment using plexus its expensive but thats all i ever cleaned my bikes with... Makes everthing shiny and new looking from plastic to clear coats.. only time i wash with water is maybe 1 or 2 times a year if engine is greasey

On thing i need is a chain gaurd I called MADMAX and its $280 for a freaking chain gaurd!!!!! thats BS

Way to much work... Im thinking maybe both powder coated black = Easier to clean lol!

They rust easy? Good thing I didn't order because I almost did friday it was gonna be 70 bucks

The thing is that you blemish the chrome when tightening the bolts and it will crack. Buy stainless allen and polish the heads on a buff wheel (so to speak)... For that price i can buy stainless bolts to go for 5 vmaxs...

I love the way the Max looks with a chain drive...natural, and aggressively comfortable. I want one!!!!!

You have a very sweet ride there buddy. Keep it up and go all the way!!!

I love the way the Max looks with a chain drive...natural, and aggressively comfortable. I want one!!!!!

You have a very sweet ride there buddy. Keep it up and go all the way!!!

Eventually will I plan on having it FOREVER.. little by little it will be better.

The thing is that you blemish the chrome when tightening the bolts and it will crack. Buy stainless allen and polish the heads on a buff wheel (so to speak)... For that price i can buy stainless bolts to go for 5 vmaxs...

Great point!! I got all polishing stuff I need thanks for the money saver!!!!!

This is an Absolutely Awesome Bike. I can imagine the Blood Sweet and Tears that've gone into this restoration. Gets to a point that the bike is actually part of you. If you were to ever consider getting rid of it, you would lose part of yourself.. Keep on tricking it out and ride it for all it's worth.. And, that's a lot....

I've gone through the same with my 89. It's a shaft but still by far the fastest bike I've owned in my 45 years of riding. I'm approaching 1400 hours into it. Just keep finding little things to do..

Congrats on the beautiful bike you've made..

Dave in Florida

This is an Absolutely Awesome Bike. I can imagine the Blood Sweet and Tears that've gone into this restoration. Gets to a point that the bike is actually part of you. If you were to ever consider getting rid of it, you would lose part of yourself.. Keep on tricking it out and ride it for all it's worth.. And, that's a lot....

I've gone through the same with my 89. It's a shaft but still by far the fastest bike I've owned in my 45 years of riding. I'm approaching 1400 hours into it. Just keep finding little things to do..

Congrats on the beautiful bike you've made..

Dave in Florida

I wish I would've kept track of hours! All I know is that it was apart 2 1/2 months lol.. she's already become my wild thing. I don't think its faster than my old FZR1000 But it's a dam awesome bike.. love how one of my good friends a crotch rocket person said it was gay at first sight but when he heard me take off from his house when I got home I had a text saying that was by far the nastiest sounding bike I ever heard! Haha love it

I have a friend who rides an FZ1. He's comparable in riding skills to me so we have a blast taking all of our bikes to the limits.
He's seen me do some really crazy crap on my 89 and been really shocked that I've recovered from a few high speed power
slides.. Seems he's always got a great view from behind.:rofl_200:

Another friend had an 05 FZR1000 with 6 additional teeth on the rear sprocket. We ran and when he glanced back before 3rd
gear, I was right there. He mentioned that not many bikes had ever done that. Course then he ran up 3rd, 4th and 5th till I was
a blur in his mirrors...:confused2:

I have always liked being the Under Dog in the bikes I ride. Then it's all about riding skills...:clapping:

I have a friend who rides an FZ1. He's comparable in riding skills to me so we have a blast taking all of our bikes to the limits.
He's seen me do some really crazy crap on my 89 and been really shocked that I've recovered from a few high speed power
slides.. Seems he's always got a great view from behind.:rofl_200:

Another friend had an 05 FZR1000 with 6 additional teeth on the rear sprocket. We ran and when he glanced back before 3rd
gear, I was right there. He mentioned that not many bikes had ever done that. Course then he ran up 3rd, 4th and 5th till I was
a blur in his mirrors...:confused2:

I have always liked being the Under Dog in the bikes I ride. Then it's all about riding skills...:clapping:

95 fzr1000 you meen. They stopped making them in 95 and came out with yfz1000r .. but gotta love suprusing them rockets that's the main reason I wanted a max soooo bad you don't see many if you don't know much about bikes you think its an ordinary bike but if u know what one is you know its one meen bull with his balls tied waiting to get out of that gate!:eusa_dance:

Oops, got the year right but the designation wrong..:bang head: I'm Old and Not Thinking CLEARLY.

2005, YZF-R1... Past tense on that bike, it whacked a guard rail well over 100... Rider survived
but, Smartly, Quit Riding...

Oops, got the year right but the designation wrong..:bang head: I'm Old and Not Thinking CLEARLY.

2005, YZF-R1... Past tense on that bike, it whacked a guard rail well over 100... Rider survived
but, Smartly, Quit Riding...

Dam that sux atleast he was ok.. sounds like my buddy he got pissed at his dad took his r1 out in february!! Salt on the roads railed the gaurd rail down the road from his house flew about 150 ft over a wooden fence and lived to talk about it

Latest posts

Back