Green oil leak

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinkydau444

Reaction score
Went in the garage and found a spurt of a green oily substance near the front wheel. It's probably a newbie question, but I can't really find where the leak is coming from. Any ideas?

Fork oil is one of the few oils that come in different colors. You should be able to tell by looking at the forks if there is a leak though. Your year doesn't have the fork drain bolts at the bottom of the forks so that can't be it. Some greases are green but would be thicker than oil. Also are you sure it is oil? May be coolant which can be green also.

Coolant overflow? Though that should have spurt out mid-to-rear of the bike.

Went in the garage and found a spurt of a green oily substance near the front wheel. It's probably a newbie question, but I can't really find where the leak is coming from. Any ideas?

I got a cat that'll back up and do that to a wheel every now and again, if I leave the garage door up too long in the evening. Lil' f'er gets my p/u wheels occasionally too. Nasty smelling, but cleans up easily. :biglaugh:

I got a cat that'll back up and do that to a wheel every now and again, if I leave the garage door up too long in the evening. Lil' f'er gets my p/u wheels occasionally too. Nasty smelling, but cleans up easily. :biglaugh:

Your cat does green pee!!! :rofl_200:

I caught a wild one in my garage after he had been pissing all over my stuff (motorcycle seat, car ac intake, wheels...). I nailed that fucker in the head with a screw driver handle. Haven't seen him in the garage since.

I bet the leak is coolant related. Check around the thermostat housing.

The coolant petcock under the radiator on these is known to weep slightly, especially in cold weather. Mine would always leak a small puddle over the winter, but never a drop in the summer.

Your cat does green pee!!! :rofl_200:

Green, red, orange, blue? I'm color blind? They're all puddles of unknown substance to me -and I dang sure ain't sticking my fingers in it for a taste regardless. :ummm:

Mine would always leak a small puddle over the winter, but never a drop in the summer.

My big Honda did that the first year I owned it, and so did Shala's. Found a lower radiator hose that just wasn't tight enough for both seasons. I ended up double clamping them.

Unfortunately it'a a fork leak :(

I couldn't find any oil when I first looked, but now it's quite obvious after my most recent ride. Left fork has oil leaking from the seal on top... Guy at the shop said it'll be about 450 to fix. Any recommendations? Also, ivegot the low speed wobble. If there's anything aftermarket I can do to the front end to help I guess now would be a good time.

Thanks for all the help btw!

Unfortunately it'a a fork leak :(

I couldn't find any oil when I first looked, but now it's quite obvious after my most recent ride. Left fork has oil leaking from the seal on top... Guy at the shop said it'll be about 450 to fix. Any recommendations? Also, ivegot the low speed wobble. If there's anything aftermarket I can do to the front end to help I guess now would be a good time.

Thanks for all the help btw!
Wow thats about $ 400 in labor. I must be working way to cheap. Its a good time for new springs if you want them.

I would contact Kyle & get some new springs & if you are mechanicly inclined you can do them yourself. There are videos on youtube to replace fork seals and springs .

Wowthats about $ 400 in labor.
+1. diy and put that 400 bucks towards some new tires to help the tightening up of the steering bearing fix that wobble. or put it towards a set of springs like kyle says. changing out the seals...and the springs...won't take you a day. tightening up the steering bearing will take you an hour. if you change out the springs might as well overhaul the fork internals as well. just to give you something to chew on, all of the fork maintenance and emulator upgrade (that includes new fork oil and adjusting the emulators), took me a day and a half..maybe two...and that was me taking my time

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

I just watched a video from one2dmax on doing the work on YouTube. I know I've seen him on here before. Doesn't seem too difficult, but I know for sure I won't have all the tools required. I really want to start working more heavily on the bike simply because it interests me. I'll have to search the forum for recommendations on springs and I'll message Kyle too. I'm assuming you mean CaptainKyle from above correct?

I just watched a video from one2dmax on doing the work on YouTube. I know I've seen him on here before. Doesn't seem too difficult, but I know for sure I won't have all the tools required. I really want to start working more heavily on the bike simply because it interests me. I'll have to search the forum for recommendations on springs and I'll message Kyle too. I'm assuming you mean CaptainKyle from above correct?
Yes he is refering to me please email me at [email protected] Its way easier to keep up with than a PM

Latest posts

Back