video of me doin 210 mph on a runway in my Ford GT

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fast Freddy

Reaction score
Here is a vid that my brother made of me doin 210.2 mph at the Mojave Air & Space port last year in my Ford GT. i went 200.8 mph on Saturday in a 1.3 mile distance and then on Sunday i went 210.2 mph in a 1.5 mile distance. both runs were made from a start off the taxiway onto the runway. the event was a one time Ford GT event.

Since these vidz were made i now race at the Mojave Mile and the Mojave Magnum 1.5 mile race which has classes for all kinds of cars and motorcycles. they utilize a drag race start on the runway so you don't have to negotiate a turn off the taxiway first. at the Mojave Magnum 1.5 mile race last year i went 213.0 mph with 751 rwhp. i am bringin 800+ rwhp to the race this year :th_smilie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYmDcTzLOX0

0306-140832-01.jpg

Scan0015.jpg

Well Done! I can honestly say I do not know a lot about those cars , HP , weight to HP ratio etc. But it sounds pretty damn fast to me Fred! Those are cars that will hold their looks forever and everyone will know them, nice choice.

G

Nice run :punk:. I'm more of a zero to 100 guy myself, but I think there are only a rare few, that ever even get close to 200 mph.

Nice job Fred! That windshield forward facing camera on the 210.2 mph run made me sit up and try to capture the feeling. Played the video over probably 10 times, just wow Fred Thanks for that! I'm going to save that one for future needs! Thanks again:punk:!

Those are absolutely beautiful cars... If I ever win the Lotto that will be one my purchases.. :worthy:

Congratulations on safely running 200+ mph in a streetcar. With nothing along the runway to judge your speed, the sensation of speed isn't as-intense as say, racing on a street circuit. It gives you an appreciation for people who race at someplace like the Isle of Man, or Monaco.

I am sure you have heard of the movie "Grand Prix," starring James Garner, about the 1960's Formula 1 circuit? It followed the story of the Honda F1 team, euphemistically-referred-to as (wait for it...) "Yamura!" We'll, at-least the first syllable is correct for us!

It was filmed around the world during the F1 season in about 1965, and the movie used "fly-eye" multiple split-screen technology, like looking at the same scene, on a Cinerama (wide-screen format, 70 mm & filmed using Panavision lenses), but with many multiples of the same scene. They also used fewer multiple-but-different images, like during the racing scenes, for the starts of the races. Truly-cool, you could watch all the stars at the same time, as the starter got ready to flag-off the state of the race.

John Frankenheimer was the director, and I have to say, it's one of my all-time favorite movies. You may be familiar with another of his works, one of the best Cold War movies ever-made, The Manchurian Candidate. Not the one made with Denzel Washington, the one made with Frank Sinatra!

Back to the Grand Prix movie. As I said, they filmed it around the F 1 circuit, including the US Grand Prix, held during those years in Watkins Glen NY. Well, I was a kid who loved cars, my older brothers drove Jaguars and Triumphs (sports cars) and my Dad used to take me every fall to the USGP in Watkins Glen NY. so, I was there when the movie producers were filming the F1 race in-anticipation of using the footage in the movie. Unfortunately, they couldn't secure the rights to the race for use in the movie, so unlike the other races that year the production crew was "on the circuit," (F1 was often referred to as, "The Circus") the only footage they were able to use was a scene where Garner is shown with the trophy from the race, sitting on a desk. A big letdown for me, as I was there for the filming! The film crew had a couple of different vehicles they ran during practice to attain film footage, one was a Ford Shelby Mustang, and the other one was...a Ford GT 40, with the front clamshell nose removed, a platform mounted above the front chassis/suspension, and a huge Cinerama camera mounted to the platform! I'm sure it was 'exciting' driving that rig on the racecourse at the same time as the F1 cars, and with essentially all your vision to the opposite side of the track obscured by the huge, boxy Cinerama camera! I had heard that the camera was worth more than the Ford GT40!

So, the racers of the day were guys that you older fellows may have heard-of, as-in Jim Clark, Graham Hill, John Surtees (still the only rider/driver to win Grand Prix driver's/rider's championships in GP on two wheels and four!), Dan Gurney, Jack Brabham, Mike Spence, Jochen Rindt, Jo Bonnier, Lorenzo Bandini, Ronnie Bucknum, Bruce Mclaren, and others. They were all in the film, in cameos, for drivers' meetings before the races, and in other scenes.

Also starring were the cars, and the Ford GT 40 was chasing those F1 cars around the course, nipping at their heels, and filming everything. So, the Ford GT 40 really made the exciting race scenes possible, and the result is still appreciated by racing fans 47 years later.

Me? I was not-quite driving age, but I took lots of F1 pictures at the USGP at Watkins Glen, and some of them have the Ford GT 40 "mule" with the Cinerama camera on it, chasing the world's finest auto racers, many of-whom would be dead in a few years.

If you look carefully in the back of the scene where James Garner makes his way to the Ferrari factory in Maranello, Italy to plead for his job, the actor playing Enzo Ferrari, Adolfo Celi, (later a James Bond Villan in Tunderball), who bears a striking resemblance to Enzo Ferrari, is standing in-front of a long line of Ferrari competition vehicles, including F1 cars, and interestingly, P3's, the Ford GT 40's main competition "back in the day."

http://rickmcginnis.blogspot.com/2012/08/grand-prix-1966.html

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 5
Very Very impressive! I have been a huge ford fan since child hood and have loved the Ford GT since it came out when I was 16. My goal then (and still now) was to own a Vmax, and at some point in my life, drive a Ford GT. At age 23 well I'm half way there (so to speak)

Keep having those birthdays Robbie; you're halfway to the age of the Ford GT 40! Not the one in the top-speed run but "The Original." They made them in 289 cu." & the ones that won at Le Mans 24 Heures were 427's run by Holman & Moody of Nascar fame. The Ford GT was loosely-based on Eric Broadley's Lola GT, which I and many others consider one of the most beautiful racecars ever-built. I saw them race at Watkins Glen and Sebring too...

It almost seems like the airport run is over too-soon. Well you can just run it again, eh?:biglaugh:

Jw
Very Very impressive! I have been a huge ford fan since child hood and have loved the Ford GT since it came out when I was 16. My goal then (and still now) was to own a Vmax, and at some point in my life, drive a Ford GT. At age 23 well I'm half way there (so to speak)

i am the original owner of my GT. it is car # 1649 of the 2006 build. i bought it new in December of 2006, 1 month after i turned 40 years old. i remember sitting in an Original GT40 when i was 20 years old and thinking to myself it would take a miracle for me to ever own one of these cars. 10 years later i was racing wheel to wheel against that very same GT40 on a road race track in my first race car which was a highly modified Datsun 240Z. that GT40 was worth $1 million when i sat in it and $2 million when i raced against it. it is now worth $4 million....

while my GT is no GT40 it is faster and will be worth alot of $$$ someday as there are only ~ 3,000 of them left from the original build of 4,038 cars. ~ 1,000 GT's have been totaled so far. it is the only car that i have ever bought that has gone up in value :coolgleamA:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back