Well my 1988 Vmax is no more.... acciddent

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customizedcreationz

Reaction score
Well yesterday was fun. I was going down south I75 when my engine locked up, kicked the bike back and forth and I am not sure if it spewed oil or not, but it went down and we both skid around 200-300 feet with the bike staying in the fast lane and me ending up against the media wall. I rolled a few times and used my hands to stabilize myself. But it was backwards looking at cars coming at me at 85+ mph. That's was a sight to see.

A motorist stopped to help me and blocked the fast lane till we got the bike off the road. But doing so caused a 4 car accident.

The first guy hit pulled up close behind me. After I gathered myself and talked to the state trooper, I walked back to him. At that point I didn't know what happened. I thought maybe he saw what happened and was staying as a witness. I thought that was nice.

Boy was I wrong. I walked up to the car and he throws his hands up and says "I don't even want to talk to you asshole. You caused the whole fucking problem. F this, asshole that..... " I was shocked and responded " listen old man, I just skidded down the highway on my back and my bike is totaled" and walked away.

Next tow truck came and I had to tell that guy to back off. So we had to talk to the trooper and he let me take the bike. That was nothing major, but just added a little more headache to the situation.

Todd J came down with the truck and trailer and we loaded up home. On the way home a strap broke.... lol but we rigged up another strap no problem.

My gear most likely kept me from serious injury possibly even being killed. My left elbow is rashed up a little and swollen. I feel like I got hit by a truck, but I don't think anything is broken.

So wear good gear. Pictures are hard to see. The bike doesn't look tremendously bad. But it's junk now. My gear, same thing except, but those too are done. I am a little sad because I just bought the jacket a couple weeks ago.

But I am alive and at work. So obviously everything worked out good.

To the guy that stopped to help thank you very much. To the old man in the suv behind me.... FUCK YOU!

11178205_981741451859560_4293455816009369930_n.jpg

1510033_981741475192891_58681436798154950_n.jpg

11401063_981741495192889_4751563834963306852_n.jpg

17674_981741525192886_6713551715171046199_n.jpg

10501983_981741508526221_8596801015277242250_n.jpg

549359_981741551859550_1099466829954707088_n.jpg

11055310_981741568526215_1653275942995361662_n.jpg

11406963_981741588526213_1662833394244900840_n.jpg

11243628_981741818526190_4245058608202714106_n.jpg

I can't find my gloves, but they took the worst hit and don't look that bad to be honest. Other than missing the palms lol.

The motor wont turn over, but it goes in gear freely and rolls with the clutch pulled. There was plenty of oil in the motor. So I am not really sure what happened.

Calling the insurance company shortly.

One thing I am a little worried about is my left forearm tattoo sleeve. I may have lost a little bit of it....

Holy sh!t.
Glad your OK tho.
I will say that it does hurt a lil to see a vmax scraped up like that.

Hows your helmet look?.. (could add this to the helmet threads) ;)

So are ya gonna repair the max?

I kept my head up. It was a weird roll, I am not sure how it really happened. But since it just didnt go down, but started weaving, I possibly prepared myself LOL. I don't know but the helmet only has a couple small marks on it.

The engine is junk, so I definitely wont rebuild it.

Last time I went down, everyone rolled their windows up and drove past. I had to pick my own bike up and move it to the side of the road through traffic. Everyone looked but didn't help or even ask if I was alright. Glad you're OK.

Wow, AGATT is something which probably saved you a lotta hurt, or worse. I won't go on the road w/o my helmet and gloves, and no t shirts for me, unless it's under a Joe Rocket ventilated jacket, at least. No shorts, and rarely will I ride w/athletic shoes, and then not for any distance. I have Alpinestars, CorTech, Joe Rocket, and Tourmaster armored jackets, and a Dianese-BMW 1 piece suit. Your new jacket did exactly what it's supposed to do. Same for the helmet. I had a helmet after an accident not my fault, which had blood inside the faceshield, I kept for many years, sitting on a shelf, to remind me why it's important. When I moved, I finally discarded it. Like yours, it didn't have much for external damage, but it served its purpose, and became a grim reminder of why I ignore the 'no helmet' option in FL.

The engine, I'm gonna say a #3 conn rod catastrophic failure on the big end, welded. Let us know.

Don't be surprised if the SUV tries to sue, sounds like that's in his mind.

I know there's no time to think when you're rolling across the tarmac, but pulling your arms close to your chest rather than them flailing perpendicular to your body is a good way to avoid long bone fractures or joint fractures. Same for your legs, try to keep them together instead of looking like Wyl-E Coyote, a big X pasted across a boulder, or the canyon floor, after the Roadrunner avoids him. Tucking your head to your chest and letting the energy dissipate as you come to a stop, and being able to get out of traffic ASAP, all things which can save your skin and bones. Having dedicated riding gloves is another thing which can save you much hurt, and multiple trips for debridement of your palmar skin, and hand surgery and skin grafts. Sounds like Aleve would help if you can tolerate the NSAID Rx, some people cannot. I have found for me it's the best over the counter analgesic.

first of all thank goodness you're ok! kudos to the person who stopped to help you out also. I cant stand wearing gloves unless its cold out, I just feel disconnected from the bike. I think I will start trying to wear them all the time now to get more comfortable with them after reading this.

sucks that the "88 build" is on hold or ended now I liked seeing all the customer parts you made for it.

Sure glad your ok Todd!!!!.............Too bad about the Max tho........This is a good reminder for me to wear my gear!................................Tom.

Attachments

• 6-14-15 accident I-95.pdf
    134.7 KB · Views: 11
Dam, I'm glad YOU made it out of this mostly unhurt Todd. Bikes can always be rebuilt again. That is scary, down in the fast lane? Guarding Angels at work for sure.
Steve-o

Damm.....glad you're OK. Sucks about the bike but better it than you.

Dale

Thankfully you had the gear, glad you will live to ride another day. Now you will have a set of heads, cams and intakes to sell on the venture forum

I75 sounds like frightening place, your description brought me back to the I5/405 in Seattle. Seriously, glad your still on your feet man.

Glad your alright Todd it definitely could have been worse like getting ran over. A friend of mine was rear ended on the s curve on 131. He said he was riding a long and all of a sudden his bike was out in front of him but like you no serious injuries but his bike and gear was trashed. Hope you can still make it to thunder on the 14. How much for the front left turn signal.

I'm glad that your OK. Everything else can be rebuilt.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back