Well my 1988 Vmax is no more.... acciddent

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really not a nice episode with all the work and time that you just had invested on the bike seeing it going down the drain like this and also for your son who wanted to have it.
In the middle of all this misfortune you were lucky to come out of there in one piece, so you can keep doing what you like. If possible let us know what caused the bike to fail and have a good recovery.

What a bummer!!! I'm sure everyone that saw this post said. "Oh, man!!! That sucks." Like others mentioned, glad this didn't end with a fatality. Take a day off and get back on track without the adrenaline.

This absolutely sucks. So sorry. In time, things will get better.

So there is no indication?
No ability to recover? Just bail the bike?

Well, each instance is different. As for indication, that depends on what is going to make the rear lock up, right. If you hear knocking and keep riding you'd also likely complain about no indication too.:rofl_200:

Recovery on the other hand depends on road condition, rider's state of mind, etc. remember sliding your rear tire as a kid on a bicycle? The tire without traction will try to out run the tire with traction. The only reason you didn't swap ends as a kid is a combination of that your bicycle forks can turn well past 90 degree, and that you where going so slow you came to a stop before it could happen. Anytime the rear wheel gets past what your forks can turn into, the slide can not be recovered. In reality, once the rear end gets past 20-25 degrees, recovery is still possible but pulling the clutch is just going to cause you to high side. The bike will recover and put the momentum into you and off you go. If you turn past the slide the rear will began to return to (and past) center. Pull the clutch as it comes to center and ride out the wobble as the tire regains traction. For most people, that's all a bit much.

I've been on bikes since I was 5 and even knowing all this, the last time I had it happen to me I went from fine and dandy to sliding down the road singing "He touched me, once I was blind..." in nothing flat.

I looked back and some of the pictures and the road looks damp in that area. So it may have been just starting to drizzle.

It happened to fast, as I was going highways speeds. It just started happening and as soon as I pulled the clutch I think thats when the bike went down. I don't think I could have saved it either way. I was just whipping back and forth too much. The guy that stopped behind me said he could see the entire side of my bike... BOTH sides, several times. I don't really remember to be honest, it happened that fast. But he said everyone in the car thought I was going down and I saved it several times. But alas I finally went down.

I kept thinking it would high side and I would be dancing in the air, but I am glad it didn't.

Thanks again everyone. I am just glad to be pretty much unscathed. I even think most of my tattoo on my left arm will be ok. But I think I ll have a scar covering a cool part.... :(

I guess that means I need another tattoo to mark that exciting part of my life.

Other things you can be thankful for - you were solo, my understanding is that you often carry your daughter or girlfriend on the pillion. They may have not been so lucky.
And you have said that your son was going to inherit the bike. It's a blessing now that we all know he won't be riding a bike that was heading for a catastrophic failure, due to mechanical issues.
Cheers:eusa_dance:

Oh I wasn't critizing or suggesting you could have saved it, just pontificating for falaholic.

Very sorry to hear about this but glad you're okay. I'm so glad I have no recollection of my wreck. I think that's why riding never did bother me after wrecking bad. Hope you find a nice new max to replace her with.

Sorry to hear about the bike. All that custom work was sure fun to see go on the bike. But your brain is good, so you can re-fabricate that stuff. Hope to see you customizing another Max soon!

Wow that sounded Scary!!! I'm glad you are ok and a survivor. Sorry about your bike man, it looks sad.

Amazingly the bike isn't as bad as I have seen others. I got super lucky. Still waiting on the insurance company to come out and look at the bike. So many things going on, I just want to get this taken care of and over with.

Todd

Latest posts

Back