150 or 170 for the back?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Specs95t

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My rear tire is shot and I plan on purchasing a Shinko Tourmaster 230 (still undecided about what to replace the front Dunlop with). I have stock wheels.

My question is 150 or 170 on the Shinko?

My first priority is handling. I understand that the Shinko is very sticky and has a more rounded profile than the Dunlop - so that is key.

BUT I have read that the 170 will decrease handling (compared to a 150 Shinko), but will increase traction and give that badass fat tire look...

I WANT IT ALL - give me the cake! I want to eat it too!

who has tried both and can provide some experience?

The 170 will make the bike feel not as nimble.....but not in a major way......so your choice.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

I personally prefer the 150 but it's probably because I ride about 80% of the time on twisty back roads and after 15 years riding my Max I'm used to how the 150 handles.
I tried a 170 once, it wasn't a drastic change in handling but it just didn't feel right to me so I went back to a 150.

You can always try a 170 and see how you like it.

I love the 170 that both bikes have are riding on.. Can't compare it to the 150. I can say I have dragged the highway pegs that are attached to my engine guards, taking off at a light. Not in a large corners.. when I ran a 100/90-18 the bike handled like crap... very stable with the 110/90-18.. and with a 170/80-15 rear....

I have Shinko Tour Master 120/90/18 & 170/80/15.
Tracks very well and last a long time.

I've tried both. There is nothing you can do with a 150 rear tire that cant be done with a 170.

A 170 rear tire isn't going to limit your handling in any way.

Lol.....I guess that I ride differently than others....my shinko was showing NOTICEABLE wear at 3500 miles...and I'm guessing that 4500 would've been it.

I don't think I've ever gotten 4000 miles out of a VMax rear, and I don't do burnouts, and usually buy Dunlops and Bridgestones.

Lol.....I guess that I ride differently than others....my shinko was showing NOTICEABLE wear at 3500 miles...and I'm guessing that 4500 would've been it.

Yep.....mine was pure wear.....no burnouts.

I know even with a couple dozen my Avons still had a pretty good amount of tread at 5000... I tend to get cracks before the tread is bad but that is usually due to the tire being a couple of years old...Last one was like 4 years old, bike sat for almost 2... Deployment and the carbs...

I've just recently gone to a 170 and will never go back to the 150. I love the look and prefer the feel of the bike now. My bike handles better and feels nicer than with the 150. There are no large sport bikes with 150's and they are the apitome of handling. Most of them are running 190-200 and I can assure you they handle better now than ever before. I'm not sure why the V-max would do better on a 150?

Matt

120 front / 170 rear. I didn't have to do the "Washer Swap", either.
Best tires I've ridden on in the 30 years I've owned the bike....
No nonsense with cupping tread on the front, and I get over 5000 miles on a set.
I replace both tires as a set every time - I've left some miles on fronts over the years....

Thank you (all) for the help and advice!

I'll be buying Shinko Tourmaster 230s - 120 in the front and 170 in the back!

The bike will turn slower and will not be as-responsive to steering inputs with the larger sizes. However, most riders will not be able to sense the difference unless you've spent time at trackdays, or have a road-racing background. Still aesthetics counts for many purchases, just look at H-D selling a quarter million bikes a year, at an average of probably $15,000. What makes you happy? Just spend it. You're not going to be entering a road race on that VMax anyway.

Thank you (all) for the help and advice!

I'll be buying Shinko Tourmaster 230s - 120 in the front and 170 in the back!

Hi guys, I'm needing a new Rear tire for next year riding season..

I wonder why the Shinko Tour Master 170 (170/80-15 : Part #: 87-4177) is not listed for the VMX1200 85-07

But The Shinko Tour Master 150 (150/90-15 : Part # 87-4176) is.

http://www.shinkotireusa.com/tire/230-tour-master

Whats the deal?.. Is there a fitment problem using the 170 on my 91?
Does anything have to be modded?

Thanks

Tire manufacturers are very picky about what they 'recommend.' Sometimes, so are dealers as to what they are willing to mount onto your rims. Just try to go to a dealership and mount a tire rated "S" (112 mph) onto your VMax, I bet they refuse to do it. Tire manufacturers will recommend stock sizes & speed ratings, or higher. Members have said the 170 will fit, it's your choice.

Thanks Fire-Medic..

I hear some of the others on the forum who went to the 170, love them.. Also, like the fact that the 170 is rated for a higher weight tolerance, since I'm a big guy. :biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back