Bike Resto in full effect

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I installed an R1 rectifier under my passenger seat and it was a TIGHT FIT, but never had any overheating issues with it, ran it that way for YEARS. You sure you don't have something else going on with your charging system???

We south FL guys have to set a meeting up sometime. I am gonna suggest the Dec 8 Toys for Tots run east of I-75 & north of I-595, Broward Co.

Your bike is looking good. The cut down seat locks you in 1 place or can you shift-around?

Here's a picture of the toasted R/R and here is a shot of the seat from UFO.

Bike looks friggin sick dude!! I replaced my R/R as well and had it under the seat. I never melted it, but didn't like how hot it was getting. So I made a bracket that holds it beside the rear tire tucked behind the shock. Most people don't even notice its there. lol

Attachments

• new regulator 2.jpg
    new regulator 2.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 45
I just got a used R/R from an zx14 and my bar end mirrors. If anyone is looking for bar end mirrors at a good price look at oberon, they are British. The quality is top notch and they had them shipped to my house in literally 2 days from the UK.
Thanks for the advice V4bandit. I'll see how it fits there.
Fire-medic: I'll meet up for a ride. I'm planning on doing a lot of rides now that the bike is ready. We can meet up some time. My cousin rides too. Hes got a 2nd gen that's hooked up. The seat is good. It holds me in place pretty well and is comfortable. $200 for an upholster job is kind of pricey but you know what you are getting ahead of time which is worth extra to me.
The rear tire is a Shinko Tour Master, 170. Front is a Shinko also.

I installed the bar end mirrors. They are sick.

I think I am going to install the voltage regulator on the front of the battery box. If I install in high up it is pretty much hidden from view but will still get plenty of air and be away from the exhaust primaries.

Hmm don't really remember. I do remember that the speed rating was really low. Like 70 mph max. It was a cheap POS tire.

Thanks man! Just trying to work out the little bugs with out getting discouraged. I want to be out riding!

I spent Friday night and Saturday working on the bike. I had to remove the gas tank so I could drill out the striped and leaking drain bolt and I replaced it with a stainless bolt and wrapped the threads with Teflon tape. I also put the Hayabusa caliper and 300 mm wave rotors on the rear. It was a bitch to bleed it but finally got it. The bracket from Sean M needs a lot of grinding to make it fit but the finished product came out nice. I also had to grind a little of the inside of the caliper to give in an extra mm clearance so the rotor doesn't contact it. Unfortunately, the stainless braided line I have for the rear is too short. I had to run it around the gas tank and now the side panel doesn't fit. So now I need to order up a new braided line that will fit. The rear brakes now work as well as the front. There is so much braking power it is unbelievable. I can stop only using the rear brakes; and using the the front brakes, I can stop on a dime. I figured out what is causing the intermittent electrical issue that is causing the headlight and aftermarket gauge to go out. It turns out it is related to the right hand controls. I need to open up the box and see what is causing the issue. There are still lots of little things that need to be done but one thing that is bothering me is that the fuel pump is running non stop and getting pretty hot. I was worried that it was going to leave me stranded today. I already put the fuel pump internal diaphragm back in place before and it must have dislodged again. I am going to replace the pump with a Mr Gasket 42S pump and be done with it. One last thing, the clutch is slipping in 2nd. I need to replace the plates. Any suggestions on a good replacement? Here are some pics from this morning.

I use a PCW extra-plate (friction disc) kit & OEM Yamaha friction discs, w/their heavy-duty diaphragm clutch spring. It's easy to pull repeatedly in stop & go traffic, and does-not-slip, ever. You don't need the Barnett separate springs kit. But if you have a peek-a-boo clutch cover, you need the schwag, right? I also use a stock master cyl & am perfectly content w/it. I always bleed it from the slave w/a 60 ml syringe, <1/2-hr & you are on the road.

If you need a custom length hose for the rear brake, Steve at Under Pressure in Dania Beach, FL south of you by Ft. Lauderdale International Airport, can make one while-you-wait, if things aren't too-busy.

Looks good! Will it be ready for a trip to the Ft. Lauderdale Toys for Tots Run to Markham Park in Sunrise FL in another month? (see events thread) I expect Tim will be there w/spikes ready.

Ya Ill be ready. I rode it from Beeline to Deerfeild today and it did well. I does surge some when under 3k RPM which I'm going to have to figure out. Thanks for the tip on the clutch. I want to do a clear cover in the future so maybe I'll go with a barnett type.

We can get any length or color combo on the lines. I try to stock +3" rears in black/black, clear/silver, and Black/silver.

Kudos on the bike restoration! You gotta be proud of all the hard work you put into it, it turned out AWESOME!:clapping::worthy:

Kudos on the bike restoration! You gotta be proud of all the hard work you put into it, it turned out AWESOME!:clapping::worthy:

Thanks man! I've been chipping away at the little stuff and it's getting more reliable. It's nice to be able to ride it and not break down.

Latest posts

Back