1988 issue

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gverde

Reaction score
Hello from Vancouver all.
I have a 1988 V-Max. While riding yesterday, the bike started to misfire and "bog" out. I thought maybe the gas. I switched to reserve and it started to work fine. I pulled into a gas station and filled up. So i switched back to fuel on and after a few seconds it started to bog again. i switched back and forth repeatedly with the same results, reserve fine, "on" misfire. I rode on reserve the rest of the way home(white knuckles the whole way)

When all of this was happening, i noticed my instrument cluster not working. No neutral light, no signal lights, no tach and no temp gauge. Headlight still works.

I made it home fine, the engine worked normal the whole way home while on reserve.

Any suggestions?

Thanks .

Jeff

You popped an instrument light for the "Fuel". Change it and see if that fixes it.

Also, check all the electrical connectors between the cluster and the battery. Sounds to me like you may have a grounding issue if all that electrical equip began to fail. There's a cluster of grounds under the seat, right outside the frame rail to the right side of the battery box. If memory serves: there's at least three grounds bolted right there, part of which may run to your cluster.

you find the problem? i had the same issue years ago on mine. would only run on reserve with cluster failure. If i remember there was a broke wire. i am thinking it was tied into the tach cluster. follow that and see. mine was pretty obvious. maybe look at a wire drawing and see where they are tied together. I bet that is your issue
Michael

The bulb must work for the pump to work. The reserve position is a force on position and overrides the rest of the system. Check the fuses and then the bulb.

Sean

Latest posts

Back