More Wheel Questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newride88

Reaction score
Hi all,
I know there's heaps of posts about wheels.... though just wondering if any of you have had the luxury of test riding ALL the variants of wheel sizes... 15", 17" & 18" on the gen 1? and if so, overall pros and cons.
I do a bit of touring on mine currently which has stock 15", looking to upgrade to 17" or 18" though concerned it may use more fuel with 17" whereas the 18" may have better economy.
Only want to change the rear for now and more than likely use stock swingarm if possible.
Thoughts?
Thanks guys.

I don't think you are going to get a definitive answer here.

The first issue will be all of the permutations of wheel and tyre combinations; the riding preference of the individuals and probably the most difficult to factor, the opinion of the individual.

Given the above caveats, I changed the OE wheels for 17" Dymags.

The first benefit is in reduced un-sprung weight; a saving of 7lb on the front and 3lb on the rear.

This results in the suspension having an easier time, lower gyroscopic forces (easier steering) and less mass to accelerate and stop (better acceleration and braking).
You cam also use the latest rubber on them which should give better grip, lower wear and fuel consumption, particularly in conjunction with the lower mass of the assembly.

Using different diameter and aspect ratio may change the overall gearing of the bike. By how much would depend on which choices you make which in turn would affect the acceleration and fuel consumption.

I'm very pleased with the set-up but this was done in conjunction with other suspension mods so I can't give an objective opinion about just changing a wheel.

IMHO is is too easy to get hung up on the minutia of the pro's and con's and listening to mine and others opinions may only serve to cloud the issue.

If you find a suitable wheel and tyre combo I would go with it - worst case scenario is that you have to re-sell it.

My bey thiugh is that you won't.

If you're main concern is only fuel related then go with the tallest tire combination you can get. Though keep in mind weight does play a small factor in that too. You can offset some of that by decreased rolling resistance found on some tires (no definitive proof available on these tires). You can get a tall tire for any of the wheel sizes you mentioned though the 17" is less commonly found in the taller tires.

I've had multiple wheels and sizes over the years. The 17's give the best selection and the most acceleration. The 18's fill the void better between body parts and to me look more at home on the bike. This is mostly due to the taller profile of the rim.

You could even install the expensive ceramic bearings to decrease rolling resistance and i'm quite sure they would pay you back in mileage gains over their life.

Bottom line as was said, buy what you like the look of, price of, and availability. You won't have too much problem at all reselling without a large loss if you change you mind later.

17": best tire selection, stickiest rubber if you like curves or visiting the dragstrip. Shorter height of tire effectively 'shortens' your gearing (higher numerically) resulting in better acceleration.

18": closest to original 15" tire height, so you retain top speed, but how often do you try for that? Better gas mileage & lower revs, because of the taller tire/'longer' circumference, but the difference is incremental. As Sean said, aesthetically it fills the gap between the tire and fender better.

Either Sean or I can provide you with 17" or 18" wheels. Mine are swap-in for your stock wheel as they use the stock hub spline drive and are weld-up (17") or bolt-up (18"). About the biggest tire I recommend is a 170 series in the stock swingarm, though some members use bigger with the 'washer swap' mod, costs you nothing, as it's just locating the rear axle washer inside the drive hub instead of next-to the rear disc brake bracket on the axle. PM me an email address if you want some pics of the wheels, and info.
http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=43361&highlight=radial+tire

I love the 17" Kosman's on my 89. They are lighter. They lower the bike, and shift weight a little more to the front tire. Tire selection is the best, since many sport bikes use the same sizes. The handling is much improved. Gas mileage? I've gone +140 miles on a tank quite a few times. There is a speedometer calibration issue to address, but it's not an issue I care about. Added acceleration especially through the gears is a bonus. I'd run just the back for a while, until Sean found me a matching front. I didn't break the budget when buying them.
Steve-o

I've got 17" yzf wheels. Haven't really gotten to run the front yet, but I had the rear on for 5k miles. I like the feel and the options for tires.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

If I go a 17" on the rear, what options do I have for a matching radial tyre on the stock front? Or figure I'd have to change that too (eventually)... wider? Love the look of the stock rims in the bigger size.
I do prefer the look of the 18", as mentioned it seems more at home though do like the options for 17" rubber. Decisions, decisions. I'll look around at what rubber is available over here in Oz, it may help with the decision.
Thanks again for the help guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pilot road 3. Fantastic tire. I don't think the 17 will use much more gas. It's changing throttle position, WOT, and squirting around in low gears that kills mileage. The bike will cruise at 4500 rpm all day long and get 38-40mpg while doing it. That's not saying we can all go out and get the light to come on at about 70 miles, but touring is totally doable. I rode mine to Newfoundland and back (from DC). Last year, Redbone rode his there with me from Michigan.

The Venture diff will offset that wheel with a 180 just fine.

With a 17" front it does look a bit like an off road set-up unless you lower the front mudguard.

Two options that I used were this

06936bc22cb318e2dd8c6763e4a5af43802c6515.jpg

321264b2ec115dd36d5e37a033cd50469a8209aa.jpg

or an Exactrep product

c8f365da23351eced27d6fefe1bca815ca97210c.jpg

c4026182991f9d406bee58a92325fcb5a0a01cab.jpg

I've got 17" yzf wheels. Haven't really gotten to run the front yet, but I had the rear on for 5k miles. I like the feel and the options for tires.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk
Cam you specify what exact year and bike yzf rear wheel you used and also what all was needed modification wise to make it work for the rear please? I would greatly appreciate the info. Thanks 😊

Hi all,
I know there's heaps of posts about wheels.... though just wondering if any of you have had the luxury of test riding ALL the variants of wheel sizes... 15", 17" & 18" on the gen 1? and if so, overall pros and cons.
I do a bit of touring on mine currently which has stock 15", looking to upgrade to 17" or 18" though concerned it may use more fuel with 17" whereas the 18" may have better economy.
Only want to change the rear for now and more than likely use stock swingarm if possible.
Thoughts?
Thanks guys.
Currently fitting Xj900 rim in rear T-Cat in front. 1 reason (for me) is to dump 30 lbs over all. Waay easier to Center Stand (other reasons go here) mainly masochistic big pain.

Attachments

• 16278528517536311685477881457625.jpg
    16278528517536311685477881457625.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 28
I'm using 18" Carrozzeria wheels, 3" longer swingarm which allows me to use a wide 200 series radial on back and a larger fuel tank. I have ridden 170 miles on a tank on the slab and really like the way handles now.
What aspect ratio on the 200. I have a similar set up to you and would like to run a 200 when I replace my tire.

What aspect ratio on the 200. I have a similar set up to you and would like to run a 200 when I replace my tire.
The rear is a 200/50vr18 while the front is 120/70zr18. My go to tires are Shinko 011 Verge, lots of grip in the dry and wet is good as well.

Latest posts

Back