Rear Offset

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trondyne

Reaction score
I understand that the rear wheel is supposed to be offset.... I have hear amounts like 1cm?

On my new '93 the offset appears to be rather large...although I have not measured it yet... The wear on the rear appears to be clearly way off to the side...

The wheels on the bike are 18's and the rear tire is a 180/55 R18...

My other bike is a CB900 and it also has a shaft drive but no visible offset like this with wear seemingly the same on both sides....

Is the offset wear normal and is it necessary?

I run stock size wheels/tires so my rear wheel offset is whatever is from the factory.
I do know that the 18" rims require a bit more offset, a lot of guys actually move the rear license plate over to make it look like the rear tire is more centered than it is.
From what I can find: "RC SportMax Wheels rear wheels in 5.5 or 5.75" widths, are offset 1/8" to the right"
That is most likely pretty close to your offset.
I'm sure if you search this forum someone will have the exact measurement of the offset for your rear wheel posted.
If no one replies or you can't find it via a search ask Sean Morley on Facebook, he will know.

I understand that the rear wheel is supposed to be offset.... I have hear amounts like 1cm?

On my new '93 the offset appears to be rather large...although I have not measured it yet... The wear on the rear appears to be clearly way off to the side...

The wheels on the bike are 18's and the rear tire is a 180/55 R18...

My other bike is a CB900 and it also has a shaft drive but no visible offset like this with wear seemingly the same on both sides....

Is the offset wear normal and is it necessary?

Well that's obviously an aftermarket wheel setup and no it shouldn't be offset by too much . A 180 wheel can be configured correctly to run on center or very close to it

The aftermarket wheel which will allow you to run an 18 inch tire is offset 1/4 to 1/2 and inch to the right. It will not affect handling.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies....

I have to take a pic and post it...

When I looked at the tire it almost appeared as though only half of the tire was making contact with the ground, from the wear on the contact area...

It's looks freakishly off...

By getting creative with the swingarm pivots is possible to lurch the entire setup over to the left. If I took a picture of my rear wheel location you would not detect any offset tire wear or center issue at all

Relying on visual clues to establish offset isn't that reliable.

Suggest you use a plumb line to establish the centre line of the frame and take this backwards beyond the tyre.

You will then be able to measure how far the rear wheel actually is.

As suggested by Jedi, using the adjustable clutch side pivot is is possible to move the whole assembly over.

Latest posts

Back