Too hot to trot?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shorty

Reaction score
G'day guys. I've only had my max for about four months now and I was wondering how hot she should run on the temp gauge? It's just starting to get into the middle of summer here and my temp needle hovers around half way. Is this above normal? At what temp on the gauge should the thermo fan kick in? I don't know that it's working either. Hmmm. :ummm:

That is VERY normal....and the fan doesnt kick on until its just a little bit from the red....but when the fan kicks on...you can immediately see the temp begin to fall.

Even here in Western NY (highs only get to around 85 F in the summer) my temp guage stays around 1/2 way once warmed up.
The highest I ever saw it go was just into the Red, in 100+ F degree weather while in traffic in NC.
That was why I added the manual Fan switch and just turned the fan on whenever I was stuck in traffic.

Almost but not quite halfway (halfway being 3:00), around the 3:30 area, is normal for mine as long as its moving down the road. Fan Kicks on right before or as it hits the red.
I live in houston so summertime temps usually between 95-102

I've tested it before and want to say its around 210-215 as it enters the red, not all that hot as engines go

A manual fan switch is a cool mod for peace of mind.
It will let you keep it in the normal range sitting in traffic or whatnot instead of worrying about the gauge climbing almost to the red first.

Riding the Vmax in Phoenix anytime between late May and late September, a manual fan switch in traffic is a MUST. The gauge will quickly peg in traffic. I simply try and avoid such situations, but did install a switch. Under one scoop is my T-Boost switch, and under the other is my fan switch.

It makes a difference:

http://vmaxforum.net/album.php?albumid=443&pictureid=8737

Thanks for the info guys!!! My bike has a 3 way switch on it ... I was afraid it was because of other issues but now after hearing how hot it runs and where the factory switch comes on...it's all perfect!!!

Latest posts

Back