A year wait to have time for the max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steamer97

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a gen 1 that I purchased one year ago. It has been fun to ride but sounded bad at slow speeds as if it had a set of large overlap camshafts It popped and coughed at idle until it warmed up something fierce. I thought about a cops conversion but always had thought it was just running rich. So I recently have more time to focus on the v-max. Wow, what a set up the P.O. had on this bike. Took carbs all apart, float level was way too high, jets were 165's! To top it all off, it had spark plugs one heat range colder than stock. So new float level settings, new plugs, #150 main jets (I'm at 650' in elevation), a carb synch, and its running like a new one. Nice, relatively quiet, smooth as glass. Nice after driving what was like driving a top fuel funny car (or sounded like one around town anyways). Traumahawk gave me some good info on cops and idle air settings and a free way to fix up the existing ignition wires (Thank you Traumahawk). I just needed a little encouragement to finally get to the bottom of my rough running max. Yeah, it turned out to be really easy to fix. Thank you ALL for the informative posts on this forum. Its nice to have this commonality!...Ted.

Glad that I could help. This really is a great forum, and there are some VERY sharp people here.

Latest posts

Back