Garretts random winter questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you clean it all up real good with alchohol and get it dry, you can easily see if the stator grommet is leaking by removing the clutch bleed rubber cover thingie and looking down in there with a flashlight.

If you can get your head under the bike or use a mirror it's also possible to see the empty area behind the middle gear cover and locate a leak there as well.

The middle gear cover bottom bolt that is supposed to have a crush washer installed is also a common place for a leak in that area.

I just had my middle gear cover off and installed a fresh gasket and re-used the old copper crush washer and it was still leaking there slightly after a few days......

Does anyone know if heating a copper crush washer to glowing will anneal it and makem it more like new....I tried it but just yesterday and don't know if it's going to work or not.....I went to 4 different parts houses looking for a small crush washer that size and had no luck, as well as looking in the goodie bins at Lowes ......

The crush washer has to be on there, if you look at the inside of the middle gear cover you'll see that it's formed in a way that exposes a portion of the threads on that bolt to the oil supply......not sure what the fuck they were thinking with that design?????? a drain spot maybe??? if so...DUMB!

If you clean it all up real good with alchohol and get it dry, you can easily see if the stator grommet is leaking by removing the clutch bleed rubber cover thingie and looking down in there with a flashlight.

If you can get your head under the bike or use a mirror it's also possible to see the empty area behind the middle gear cover and locate a leak there as well.

The middle gear cover bottom bolt that is supposed to have a crush washer installed is also a common place for a leak in that area.

I just had my middle gear cover off and installed a fresh gasket and re-used the old copper crush washer and it was still leaking there slightly after a few days......

Does anyone know if heating a copper crush washer to glowing will anneal it and makem it more like new....I tried it but just yesterday and don't know if it's going to work or not.....I went to 4 different parts houses looking for a small crush washer that size and had no luck, as well as looking in the goodie bins at Lowes ......

The crush washer has to be on there, if you look at the inside of the middle gear cover you'll see that it's formed in a way that exposes a portion of the threads on that bolt to the oil supply......not sure what the fuck they were thinking with that design?????? a drain spot maybe??? if so...DUMB!

yea i used a new crush washer but had to take it off as it was leaking once already which appears to be a gasket issue.

HF has a copper crush washer set but i don't think any of them are small enough OD. if you can get me an ID measurement and a max OD measurement i can check the bin I have.

i can get my phone with a flash up there to take pictures but it just doesn't look like the wires to me. they feel dry, it feels more like the bottom of the middle gear. it seems to be getting better tho so i'll double check next time i ride her.

i think a transmission drain is the only thing that makes sense.

15mi ride into work today and no where near the leak there was, the wires have some oil on them but hard to tell if it was residual so gonna have to give it a few more rides. maybe some more break cleaner all up in there to make sure i'm working with a clean pallet!

i slept in a bit and made it into work for 9a, so it was around 28/30

Latest posts

Back