Bike Resto in full effect

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't updated this in a bit but I've been chipping away at the bike. I had the engine painted by a professional and it looks really good. I have pics I will upload when I get a chance. The engine is mounted in the frame. I did it by myself and it wasn't too bad using the "mount the frame to the engine" method. Right now I have a bunch of parts at the powder coaters and hopefully I will have them back in a week. I ordered up a V-rod headlight that is going to look really good on the bike. I'm trying to figure out what brackets to use to mount it. There are some on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-F...22?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2a266fe1ba that might work but I'm not sure. I'm also wanting to replace my foot pegs. The rubber on the front pegs needs replacing and I'm thinking it will look a lot better and be cheaper to go aftermarket then by the OEM rubber pads. I'm looking at these http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-12-YAMAH...Parts_Accessories&hash=item19d0e0e8ee&vxp=mtr but once again have no idea if they will fit the bike. I guess that about does it for updates. I expect that the bike will be 95% back together within ten days. At that point I will probably just be wrapping up lose ends with small items I over looked that need replacing.

Here is the engine at the painter. He used a fork lift so he could hit the top and bottom easily. The engine was supported on poles through the engine mount holes.
IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0392-1.jpg

IMG_0393-1.jpg

Here is the engine back at my house.
DSC02674.jpg

DSC02675.jpg

DSC02677.jpg

DSC02679.jpg

Thanks. I pretty happy with it. I'm getting ready to spray some small engine parts and a few misc parts with the same paint.

I'm jealous because you are way ahead of me and I started before you! I got some family stuff going on so my build is pretty much on hold except for little projects I can do quickly. Thanks for documenting and sharing with us. You may not know or realize it but you are providing some much needed motivation! Thanks!
PATMAX

I'm jealous because you are way ahead of me and I started before you! I got some family stuff going on so my build is pretty much on hold except for little projects I can do quickly. Thanks for documenting and sharing with us. You may not know or realize it but you are providing some much needed motivation! Thanks!
PATMAX

I think he is well skilled with mechanical things..... Just look at the evidence leaning up against the wall in the back ground! Looks to me a head gasket from something.... maybe a toyota 22RE engine? just a guess though LOL

G

I was building a fully forged Ford "Teksid" Aluminum 32v forged engine but ran out of time, money, and space. The parts I'm selling from that build are helping to finance this one. Bikes are much easier to work on than cars. When I look at this bike totally disassembled it doesn't look overwhelming at all. I stayed out of the engine so that helped...

I know how it is with these big projects. It's easy to let them sit for months or years at a time. You just have to suck it up and get it done. When you get big things done like powder coating a frame or rebuilding the forks, I find it rewarding and motivating.

I got all the parts bake from powder coaters today. The work over all is pretty good. Most of the parts are satin black and a few (swing arm, swing arm covers, forward foot pegs) are gloss to match the frame. I put the grab bar and forward foot pegs on the bike since it was easy. Tomorrow I want to get the front end assembled. Tuesday I'll get some tires and get the wheels on.

DSC02736.jpg

DSC02741.jpg

DSC02740.jpg
DSC02739.jpg

DSC02737.jpg

DSC02738.jpg

Here are some updated pics.
DSC02789.jpg

DSC02790.jpg

DSC02792.jpg

DSC02793.jpg

DSC02794.jpg

I need to put the wiring harness back in the bike but I can't really remember exactly how it goes in:ummm:. Is there a thread on here that shows the route the harness takes?

Is there a thread on here that shows the route the harness takes?

Pretty-sure the factory manual shows harness, hose, cable and brake line routings.

Did you check the electrical stickys?

Is there a thread on here that shows the route the harness takes?

Pretty-sure the factory manual shows harness, hose, cable and brake line routings.

Did you check the electrical stickys?

Maxmidnight sent me one years ago. He should have it :punk:

G

Yeah the manual has a routing diagram in the back. But the harness all runs on the right side of the frame inside edge. Really PITA around the battery and the ignition, lol ! Also I found it easier to put the swing arm on first then the fuel tank. ( better view of what I was doing )

I swear it takes4X longer to put the bike together then it does to tear it down. :biglaugh:

Looking good man!

I swear it takes4X longer to put the bike together then it does to tear it down. :biglaugh:
Looking good man!

I'd say it takes a lot more. I torn mine completely in a day with a friend and took me almost half a year to bring it back together... :biglaugh:

I'm sure we are more meticulous and careful during reassembly. Don't want to scratch those new finishes. Speaking of which, that is a lot of black you got going on. I understand the whole "murdered" look but to me it gets heavy and droll. You lose some of the Vmaxness if you will. Can't wait to see it all done though.
Keep it up!

I've put in a lot of time in the past few days. I painted the rest of the parts that will be gun metal including the final drive. I made some progress assembling the rear of the bike. The wiring harness got some fresh wire looms and tape. Master cylinder rebuilds are on order. Hayabusa calipers came in. Here are some pics.

DSC02796.jpg

DSC02797.jpg

DSC02801.jpg

DSC02802.jpg

DSC02803.jpg

I'm sure we are more meticulous and careful during reassembly. Don't want to scratch those new finishes. Speaking of which, that is a lot of black you got going on. I understand the whole "murdered" look but to me it gets heavy and droll. You lose some of the Vmaxness if you will. Can't wait to see it all done though.
Keep it up!

I'm breaking up all the black with the gun metal grey. All the fenders are going to be painted with some green and there are going to be green accents such as on the wheels and stitching in the seat. But don't expect to see anything shiny on the bike except the fork uppers. Theres going to be a lot of exposed stainless also.

Back