- Warp12's 1989 V-Max Adventure -

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My fellow- firefighter buddy had an '86 Ninja 1000R in '87 and I bought another firefighter/paramedic's '87 FZR1000 in '88. The Ninja had smoothbores & a Superbike Mike ported head, & a D&D exhaust. It was a lot like a VMax w/a Stage 7, it didn't like partial throttle and was a handful to ride. It had higher-than-stock compression, and the guy kept a couple tins of VP race fuel in the garage. When you followed him in traffic, your eyes would water from the fumes. My FZR had < 3000 miles on it when I got it, and on a run to the FL Keys one fine late spring day, I found-out my FZR was as-fast as his worked-bike. They were pretty-much dead even if you started together by the time you got 'up-there.' Whoever got the jump at the start would keep it until you ran out of road. The way that Ninja 1000R ran w/that D&D reminded me of the way my full-on Dragstar VMax sounds. I still have the FZR1000.

Wow, 200+ mph, I am very content to watch, thank-you very much!:worthy:

I rode the 1987 FZR1000. Really an awesome bike. The 1989 was killer, also! Another bike I really liked at the time was the first "Slingshot" GSXR 750!

Awesome story Shane. I also have a very healthy '89 that I love more every time I ride it. As mentioned earlier with a good exhaust and proper tuning you won't need the vboost. Why wait till 6 grand when you can have it pull just as hard at 2,500? Congrats and nice bike !

Awesome story Shane. I also have a very healthy '89 that I love more every time I ride it. As mentioned earlier with a good exhaust and proper tuning you won't need the vboost. Why wait till 6 grand when you can have it pull just as hard at 2,500? Congrats and nice bike !

I am working on my v-boost decision now. :)

In efforts to see which parts of the boost I might still have on the bike, I stumbled across this on the ignition coils:

vmaxbuild18.jpg

I am not sure if the cracks hurt anything or not. But it might be time for me to consider the coil-on-plug setup. I like the idea of using modern, reliable replacement/upgrade parts, where possible.

..... While I was out getting the oil filters today, I stumbled upon another classic bike...it looks to be a 1986 Ninja 1000...

1986ninja1000.jpg

I remember when those came out, but I never rode one. I rode the 900, and I owned the 600 and 750 models of the same era. I really like these "classic" machines. :)

Either '86 or '87. I had an '86, in red. Smooth engine, very strong on the top end of the speedo. I did an indicated 175 up GA 400 one sunny afternoon in the spring of 1987. County mounty flashed his lights at me as I was pulling on to the on ramp, and for some reason (still unknown to me) I declined his invitation and made the jump to hyperspace. I've always figured it was really 160ish, since that's what all the magazines were getting out of them. That was the fastest I ever took it, but I'd run it up to 130 almost daily because it would do it effortlessly. I can only imagine what 28 more years of evolution feels like on that ZX-14.

+1 on the COPs...hit up Gannon...he'll hook you up with a kit that goes on smooth as butter...

I emailed a request for a COP kit, and I think I will soon have the parts to install a functional v-boost system. I am also on the lookout for a nice oem, or oem-lowered seat.

I'm still looking for a match for the Deep Amethyst paint on the 1985...

1985vmax03.jpg

I really loved that color. Not so much a "blue" as a dark purple...

The panels on the 1989 are pretty nice, but do exhibit some chips and scratches here and there. I mean, nothing major...but also not so perfect that I wouldn't consider painting them. Then again I can probably pick up a mixed "painter" set for a good cost. It's down the road a bit; I just want to find the paint color for now.

Did you see my post on these? $76 shipped from NJ for a complete VBoost setup from a late model.
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=321105427026

I didn't see that! But I picked up a good set, with the servo motor etc. from a member here, for a good price. :)

What interests me about the setup you listed is that it says the intakes were port matched. I wonder how much mismatch there is from the factory? My Gen 1 14 was pretty bad, but those intakes are rubber and you can easily match them (once the engine is out, lol). :biglaugh:

IT WON'T START!! :bang head::bang head::bang head:

Ok, so I am sure it is nothing major. I unhooked the rear coils and battery last weekend. Now after reconnecting it all, the starter doesn't do anything. The fuel pump comes on, and the lights "blink" when I thumb the button...but nothing else happens.

I am sure it is something extremely simple; this is just part of getting to know the bike, I suppose....

Someone in another forum posted a pic of a vintage 1985 Yamaha promotional button...

85yamahapin.jpg

Yep, there was nothing "badder" than the V-Max back in 1985...

Used oem seat on the way:

oemseatpurchase.jpg

Thanks rifleman! Right now I am just going to install a stock seat. I am sure I will change up later, perhaps to a lowered one, that might be better at the dragstrip. But there are a lot of choices and for now I will be happy to have a clean stock piece. :)

Note to self: Blue wire w/white tracer does something...

vmaxbuild21.jpg

Now it runs, lol! Somehow I missed reconnecting that one...

LOL...yep something simple...believe me...it happens to everyone...

Yeah, I knew it would be super-simple....but I was being lazy and dramatic by posting about it. :biglaugh: I really love the relative simplicity of this bike! It is really a chore working on modern Kawasaki's all of time!

So, this is "Nebulous Purple", the 2013 color:

2013-Yamaha-VMax-VMX17c.jpg

None of my local Yamaha dealers have one. I am really interested in how it compares to the '85 Deep Amethyst.

I found this youtube vid (the 2012 Raider was the same color) and I think it looks great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpuxYCBRbP4

This may be the closest "off-the-shelf" color I can find...

That 2013 Vmax is a GREAT looking bike, and I DO want to pick one up eventually...but NOT get rid of the 07!!!

Back