Farthest distance traveled on two wheels

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frank5079

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that our beloved V-Max is not a long distance winner, but of all the bikes I have ever ridden it is the most fun and best looking.

Anyway, the farthest I've ridden was from Tampa, FL to Lexington, KY. My bike at the time was a 1994 Suzuki RF900 with a 5.5 gallon tank. Average speed was about 70mph and average distance per tankful was about 250 miles(wish my Max was that long legged). I left 8AM Saturday and arrived 12:30AM Sunday. I had a fully loaded tankbag, a fully loaded tailbag, a fully loaded backpack, and a pet taxi with my cat inside....I can honestly say that if I had to do that again, I'd put all of that stuff on a trailer and pull it with my bike.....

I had a fully loaded tankbag, a fully loaded tailbag, a fully loaded backpack, and a pet taxi with my cat inside....I can honestly say that if I had to do that again, I'd put all of that stuff on a trailer and pull it with my bike.....[/QUOTE]

I bet the cat agreed with you 100%............

I rode my 2000 Vmax from Raleigh, NC to Hamburg, NY and back once (765 Miles each way).
I rode straight through on the way up (I was exhausted by the time I arrived), but stopped in WVa for the night on the way home.
Average HW speed was probably about 70-75 mph.
I did make a few extra pit stops in WVa to admire the Awesome scenery on the way back !
I'd estimate that I rode about 1,900 miles total on that trip.

My second longest ride was from Hamburg, NY to North Chicago, IL (back when I was in the Navy).
625 Miles non-stop on a Yamaha Maxim 400.
Average HW speed was about 95-100 mph (I was young and stupid).

Last edited:
I'd rather know the farthest someone has had to PUSH their bike. Now that's a feat, especially with a Max!

I'd rather know the farthest someone has had to PUSH their bike. Now that's a feat, especially with a Max!

Funny you should say that... I enjoyed that adventure yesterday!

Battery died yesterday, was showing 12V but would drop down to 8.5 during cranking... not even close to enough to start it. Tried a few times to bump start it... damn that bike is way too heavy to push on your own and get enough speed to bump start. Ended up pushing it 3/4 mile to a shop to get a boost. Overall pushing yesterday including bump start attempts... about a mile. :bang head:

Started up after getting a boost, rode home and ordered a new battery.

Several 3500+ mile trips plus many between 500 to 2000.

Dallas to the Outer Banks and back on my first Max - 3500 miles in 7 days. Two Maxes and a Kaw Concours. On this trip did Deals Gap and the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Dallas to Yellowstone and back on 2004 Suzuki Bandit - 3500 miles in 7 days. 5 guys.

Dallas to Canada and back on 2004 Bandit - 3500 miles in 7 days. 5 guys.

Dallas to Big Bend and back on my Max - about 1500 miles in 3 days. 3 guys all on Maxes.

Dallas to the Florida Keys and back on a 1985 Suzuki GS1150E. Several side trips to both coasts and the Everglades and visited relatives in Indiantown for several days. About 12 days. Probably over 4000 miles. 3 guys.

Dallas to Barber Museum for Vintage Bike Week on the Bandit. 5 guys. About 1600 miles and 2 nights. Came back in one day of over 750 miles.

There are many more but these are the most significant.

Last edited:
I rode my 86 Venture Royale from Ft Scott, KS to Myrtle Beach and back pulling a small trailer for my maiden vacation voyage completely on a bike.

Shala & I have been to many states on board our Runes, with & without me pulling my little trailer. Last summer we went from here (SW MO) up to VA and met NJ friends, and others, to ride down the Skyline Dr, BRP and more. We put in around 3700 miles on that vacation. The year before, we went through Colo, Four Corners, and on out to Yosemite Nat'l Park, then back through Utah for a round trip of about 4300 miles....for a 9 day vacation.

Furthest I've ever rode the Vmax would have been out to Heston, KS and back for 360 mile round trip, riding double, back when the '85 was nearly new. I've logged several 200 mile day trips on it while riding with the VMOA guys at the annual Eureka Springs, AR rally. I think those days were the absolute funnest riding days I've ever had. (thank you Sean Morley, Mike Hansen, Vern Hathaway, Clay Banker, Barry Barker, Shaun Brown, Rick Rash, and too many others to list here for those awesome rides.) Zoom zoom!!

Did the Blue Ridge Parkway a number of times. One trip was 2-up with camping gear bungee corded to the Max. Made a trailer hitch back around 1988, and pulled a small cargo trailer a few years on a number of trips.

Now, I just have Kathy ride the mule (Burgman 400) - it's got all the room we need...

Unless I take the RoadStar... But that's boring..

Went as far as Chicken, Alaska, in 2008. 7200 kilometers from home, according to "Goggle" maps.
Chicken was also my favorite place on earth, that I have visited, to date.
"population 30, swells to 70, during the summer season"
No power, only generators. No Internet. No cell service. An old gold mining town.
Hope to get up there again. Also see more of southern A.K.
If anybody is interested, shoot me a P.M.

The V-Max is a tad heavy and unstable, on wet dirt roads. Go figure!
Cheers!

Attachments

• P1000642.jpg
    P1000642.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 24
I've done several 600-800 mile trips on my last max. Thunder was 1600 miles in 4 days. I did 200 miles on my turbo busa just screwing around by myself.

Now I have a new pair of shoes and I walk alot.....:(

Houston, TX to NY, NY to Laconia, NH to Coastal Maine and Laconia, NH to Houston TX on a HD Street Glide (rental) in 2006. I've done several Iron Butt Rides including Mesa, AZ to Houston, TX for a first ride on my Valkyrie Interstate that was purchased to avoid the cross country on a HD experience.

Lola will tote me on an Iron Butt tour Father's Day Weekend 2014. My MC sponsors the run every year and I lost my patch in my October tumble 'cause Life Flight burned my cut.

Houston, TX to NY, NY to Laconia, NH to Coastal Maine and Laconia, NH to Houston TX on a HD Street Glide (rental) in 2006. I've done several Iron Butt Rides including Mesa, AZ to Houston, TX for a first ride on my Valkyrie Interstate that was purchased to avoid the cross country on a HD experience.

Lola will tote me on an Iron Butt tour Father's Day Weekend 2014. My MC sponsors the run every year and I lost my patch in my October tumble 'cause Life Flight burned my cut.

Translation? "Life Flight destroyed my cut-off jean jacket w/my club patch on it?"

Las Vegas, Nv. to Hannibal, Mo. to Dallas,Tx. and back home on my goldwing. 3700 miles in two weeks.

Translation? "Life Flight destroyed my cut-off jean jacket w/my club patch on it?"

Almost ... but my cut is custom tailored Gold - Gypsy MC. And ... it was burned due to blood contamination. FWIW, we are a 3 Piece Patch MC and are an AMA Club that accepts men and women members owning any bike over 250cc that can keep up.

Over the years, I have taken many trips. The longest on a Max (my first, a 95) was 3500 miles in 7 days in 2000. Dallas to the Outer Banks and back with side trips to Deals Gap, Blue Ridge Parkway and Memphis (To see Graceland. Old Elvis fan), among other stops. Going used only back roads, no freeways. Coming back used freeways. This is the way my riding group always take trips. Only got rained on during the return trip.

Having to average 500 miles a day can be tiring and usually the last day or two is longer because of getting behind on the trip due to weather or sightseeing along the way. The last day on this trip was about 700 miles in mostly rainy weather.

There are some beautiful back roads in the eastern part of the US (Tennessee, Kentucky, the Carolinas, etc.)

My Max had the OEM windshield, BagMan fabric saddlebags I bought around 1980 and a small suitcase bungee corded to the passenger seat.

Latest posts

Back