original wheel ideas

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baloo

Reaction score
what have u guys done with the original wheels .
would luv to see pics . not long till spring lol

Painted the hubs on my '03 with automotive paint years ago. Has proven to be very durable.
Wet-sanded and polished only the outer rim, which is smooth texture, unlike the hubs, which have a slightly serrated finish (which probably helps with adhesion, when painting)
When the hubs are cleaned and waxed, and the rims freshly polished, the wheels look quite good.
But that only happens once a year, in the spring.
Cheers!

Attachments

• The only way to travel.jpg
    The only way to travel.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 73
Recently there was a thread about cutting the extra ring out of the front to leave 5 swept spokes. That looked pretty cool.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Recently there was a thread about cutting the extra ring out of the front to leave 5 swept spokes. That looked pretty cool.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

That was probably my thread.

IMAG0977.jpg

IMAG0978.jpg

IMAG0983.jpg

IMAG0984.jpg

IMAG0985.jpg

IMAG1086.jpg

Just removed the inner ring and the benched in all the rough cuts, smoothed it out, media stripped it and then I poweder coated it. Finally installed new tire and put it on the bike.

Todd

looking sweet think i will go with this option rather hacking bits out .at 22 stone i might bend them lol

Todd's wheels look better than I thought they would, mounted. I'd like to see some brighter to see what they look like, silver of course always being popular, and gold for an '80's throwback look w/black bodywork, the John Player Norton look.

The way Todd cut out the centers. I would think your taking away stability. Todd, did you put a lot of miles on the bike after you modded the wheels. Any issues?

Not being a structural engineer, I cannot say it weakens the wheel, but I bet those wheels are way-over-engineered. Look at the CAD-CAM wheels cut from solid blanks on the market, they have a lot more than that removed from them to make some "pretty" designs, and then are marketed to the Billet Crowd for their $$$ H-D's. In this day/age, the attorneys probably would not allow something unsafe to go out the door of a multi-million $$ co. if it was structurally-unsafe.

The thing about them, they remind me of the 1980's Yamaha designs on their bikes, I was never a fan of the 'swept' design spokes. But, in this case, I think they look decent, maybe because they are a bit 'beefy,' and aren't spindly like the 550 Vision, or the 550/750 Secas, the 650 Turbo Seca, the Viragos and the Specials had.

images
images
images
images
images
images

The way Todd cut out the centers. I would think your taking away stability. Todd, did you put a lot of miles on the bike after you modded the wheels. Any issues?

Last edited:
I asked that same question when this same mod was done some years back (Shawn Kloker) and he ran his bike hard as well with no issues at all.

Back