The Gen 2 and long trips.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronx

Reaction score
So I have a Gen 1 -- a '93. It's got a seat from Sean Morley that certainly made riding it better than the stock seat. But even with Sean's seat -- just looking at a 1,000 mile road trip makes me groan.

Is the Gen 2 a little better comfort wise for longer trips than the Gen 1? I noticed on Craigslist someone is selling a Gen 2 around here for 10k. I'm considering checking it out.

I know the fuel range on a Gen 2 isn't going to impress anyone. I'm really more interested in comfort.

I got a 1,000 mile road trip to San Antonio in November that I'm really trying to figure out a way to make on a motorcycle. I know my Gen 1 could handle the miles... but my ass can't haha.

I've had both generations and my personal opinion is the gen 2 seat is one of the most comfortable I've ever ridden on, where the gen 1 is one of the worst. That said, my gen 2 would roll about 80 miles before having to stop for gas. If you're going to stop that often, it doesn't matter all that much. YMMV

If you're going to do it on the Gentoo you're going to want to set a max relaxers !

Stopping for gas at 80 miles doesn't appeal to me. I can almost (150) double that on my Gen 1. And with upgraded suspension and seat, no problem on long rides. 10k this season mostly on extended rides over 200 miles.
Steve

So I have a Gen 1 -- a '93. It's got a seat from Sean Morley that certainly made riding it better than the stock seat. But even with Sean's seat -- just looking at a 1,000 mile road trip makes me groan.

Is the Gen 2 a little better comfort wise for longer trips than the Gen 1? I noticed on Craigslist someone is selling a Gen 2 around here for 10k. I'm considering checking it out.

I know the fuel range on a Gen 2 isn't going to impress anyone. I'm really more interested in comfort.

I got a 1,000 mile road trip to San Antonio in November that I'm really trying to figure out a way to make on a motorcycle. I know my Gen 1 could handle the miles... but my ass can't haha.

I went through this very thing on my gen 1. Maxgasser seat, highway pegs with offset extenders, fairly tall viper windscreen and an Omni-cruise. All these things turned out to be amazing and well worth the money but for the sort of touring I enjoy it just wasnt enough to call optimal. I love the Vmax and now it's perfectly fine for a day or weekend ride whereas before when I had the Corbin on it and nothing else 2 hours was enough. I will do at least a couple 1000+ mile trips each year. Realistically probably double that or more. I ended up buying an 89 Venture because I'm a cheap bastard and it's tough to get more "tour" for less money. Besides it's got the heart of a Vmax and has the feel of a Vmax that gained some weight and copious luggage space/wind protection/cruise control/stereo/CB/backrest. Even after I'm fully through it with new tires, rebuilt forks, custom seat, R6 brakes and delinking I'm in for under $3k. I can justify both bikes because old Yamahas are cheap. If touring is going to be a regular thing than I would suggest that the Vmax may not be the right tool for the job. I find mine comfortable now but fairly high strung for the long haul. If this is a one-off trip than get an airhawk and rock on with it! I do highly recommend a windscreen and the highway pegs, if you have some inseam, the miles will go by easier.

That being said, with the above mentioned alterations I think a Vmax could do 1000k mi trips with no trouble if you split it up over 2 days, if your young and tough :clapping:

Attachments

• venture_right.jpg
    venture_right.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 15
Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. I'm considering just stretching the trip out. Maybe doing just a few hundred miles a day on the Gen1. Make it a 3 day trip each way. I did 300+ miles a day on my VMax this past weekend with little problems. But that's just two days vs taking a week or more.

I'm tough, but not so young anymore. :)

I have a gen 2. Wouldn't even try 1000 mile trip. I do ride 2-250 on a Sunday sometimes. At 70-75, you could get 120 miles before looking for gas. U want a second bike for trios, get an Fjr. That's what I'm looking at right now.

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. I'm considering just stretching the trip out. Maybe doing just a few hundred miles a day on the Gen1. Make it a 3 day trip each way. I did 300+ miles a day on my VMax this past weekend with little problems. But that's just two days vs taking a week or more.

I'm tough, but not so young anymore. :)

I see the big 50 getting sort of close too, I got a diagnosis and onset of Fibromyalgia and that hit me much harder than age and has been the biggest factor in how many miles I can gobble up in one day. I'm unwilling to stop touring so I knew at this point I would need a dedicated touring bike for the job of 10 day- 2 week trips and be able to do it in reasonable comfort. No more Sprint ST or KLR650 for touring for me. The Vmax is more of a Harley killer than anything else but with a few little adjustments you can do it, I could do 1000 mi if I had a couple days, preferably 3. I had a couple 1000mi days on my Triumph and there was a price to pay for that.

Almost any bike with a decent saddle and some wind protection will get the job done. A couple small things can really cut down on rider fatigue. Not fighting the wind, a sore backside and having a place to put your feet to stretch your legs while on the road make a HUGE difference. I know $25-50 sounds steep for an omni cruise but after a couple hundred highway miles you will wish you had one. You already got a decent seat. baring any medical Dx or anything that would prevent you from doing this you should be just fine. Because it's late October make sure you bring a neck gaiter, decent gloves and a heavy jacket with a heavy sweater to go under. I'm assuming you roll with a full face lid. Extra socks and riding boots in case you hit adverse weather. I have long underwear and sweater and rain suit I carry with, especially this late in the year. I might suggest doing a test run, is there some place/time you can do 200-300 miles to figure out where the adjustments are most needed?

are you talking about 1000 mi each way or round trip?

Thanks for the tips! I'd never heard of the omni cruise, so checking it out now. I can see that being very helpful!

If I do the trip in a straight shot via interstates it's 1,000 miles one way. But I was planning on taking a more scenic and enjoyable route route that will probably add another 200 to 300 miles to it. I need to be in San Antonio by Tuesday evening. I was thinking of leaving Saturday morning. So that's roughly 3.5 days to make 1,300 miles.

I have been putting 300+ miles a day on the Vmax the past few weekends exploring and trying new roads. No real problems other the a little saddle and hip soreness. I think my hip soreness comes from me squeezing the bike with my legs. But on those rides the only thing that I find myself "wishing" I had on the bike was some footpegs to stretch the legs out.

I ride here in St. Louis all year around until it drops below 20f... or if there is snow on the ground. I do ride with a full helm. I have a rain suit that I fits in my tank bag. I have a waterproof dufflebag I was planning to pack all my clothes in and strap to the passenger backrest. I got a neck gaiter and a balaclava that I use depending on the temps. I got long underwear I use for riding in the winter as well. I think the temps will be similar to fall riding here in St. Louis... 50s for the lows, average temps in the 70s. Which is pretty much my favorite temps for riding. My biggest concerns:

1> Weather. I expect to hit rain. But if a hit a ton of it, it's gonna suck all the fun out of the trip. Which sort of defeats the whole purpose. But all I can do there is just be ready for it.
2> Saddle Soreness. Even though I've been doing 300+ miles a day. It's just been for two days in a row. I spend 3.5 days riding down there. Then riding to and from all the things I'm gonna do down there(will be there from Tuesday to Sunday). Then the trip back. That day after day after day is really where my biggest concerns of fatigue come in.

In my opinion your going to have no trouble. In my experience that first day of touring is easy to knock out more miles than the following days. I always opt for the scenic routes off the superslab, its so much less monotonous than just interstate. Sounds like you have all the right gear.

Here is what I did for the highway pegs. The Vmax is a very cramped bike to ride, these are necessary for any distance for me.
http://refinedcycle.com/HPM1-Highway-Peg-Mounts-for-Yamaha-V-max-85-07-HPM1.htm
I got some offset extensions designed for HD off Ebay for these also to make it wider and place the pegs further out and down. I can really stretch out now but even before the extensions it was great.

This is the Omni cruise I got. Love it. I opted to pay more for this than for the plastic Chinese made version available for half the price. I have pretty much boycotted buying anything Chinese where alternatives exist.
http://www.omni-cruise.com/omni-cruise-1/ This guy had it shipped very quickly and threw in extra rings for no charge, he makes them right here in the USA.

All I can say about saddle soreness is it helps to stop frequently, as you will need to for fuel anyway. I have found that underwear choice makes a pretty big difference. If your sitting on seams that wont help. I find boxer briefs work fairly well, cant recall the brand. I have a couple special pair specifically for bicyclists/motorcyclists and it did help some. Man I'm envious, your going on a bike trip!

Back