Engine paint touch up- Who has done it?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, now on to painting the tins!
Prepped and just primed.
Going with a tri-coat finish, got a kit for the Mazda soul red (v41 I believe)
Pretty close to the original 88 candy red, but a little deeper and richer red.
Can’t wait to start throwing the color down.
It is a metallic red, followed by a red clear coat and the straight clear on top. So not counting primer, about 9+ coats of paint.
593f74de0c9aaec31a3904166abcb86a.heic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, now on to painting the tins!
Prepped and just primed.
Going with a tri-coat finish, got a kit for the Mazda soul red (v41 I believe)
Pretty close to the original 88 candy red, but a little deeper and richer red.
Can’t wait to start throwing the color down.
It is a metallic red, followed by a red clear coat and the straight clear on top. So not counting primer, about 9+ coats of paint.

Keep us posted on the results.. I have some friends that will never attempt to tackle projects like this. The 1st thing that comes out of their mouths are, "Take it to a body shop or some professional"

I was brought up to believe that "Knowledge Is Power".
The more I know, or learn, the more I feel empowered over my life.

Personally I LOVE, to see peoples DIY projects. It let's me know what's possible.

I agree, if you don’t know how ...learn it. Try and learn from your mistakes. Been painting vehicles here and there since I was 18. Now I certainly didn’t have the access to the equipment I do now. But the knowledge, using real automotive paint and the proper prep work will make a good end result regardless of your equipment. Repainted my 86 Honda Accord with a Wagner airless sprayer my dad had. With surprisingly good results.

I don't have the spray gun skills of the good painters, but I've learned that prep and cleanliness are the best ways to start. The buffing compound is my friend in my paintwork.

Ground coat on
Looking GOOD!!

What do you have behind those grey filters in the back? A large fan sucking air out???

Yes have a professional spray booth i borrow at work

Mid coat and clear on and done. Got one small run but it can be fixed
11af8a598e9d5e7243d6ef2f37f9e0c4.jpg

8ca41852062977a14600428bddc85367.jpg

2bb5f46cddba258dbc3d714b8bac5078.jpg

Looks great!!

After I painted my engine, tires, calipers, and some touching up on some areas around the frame, I'm contemplating, stripping off some old cracked up paint that's on my final drive and swing arm, and spraying it with some silver or black. I noticed the paint was cracked when I purchased the bike.

Also, I need to remove some surface rusted steel bolts holding my heat shields, they burned off their black coating after 2 rides. I had to get replacement exhaust adapters, because the ones that were in there, broke off and was totally seized up. By the messed up look of them, I don't think the PO used anti-seize. I hope my replacements come out without any issues, since I used anti-seize last season.. I Plan to replace them with SS bolts.

I figured I'd hit the black areas of the shields with some Xtreme Temp spray paint when I have them out,, just to clean up the look a little bit..

Ever since I got the bike, most of my wrenching was to get the engine running right. Now that it purring like a kitten, I wanted to work on the overall look of the beast..

I may choose to paint the same parts you just did, but I don't have a booth or garage for that matter.. All painting has to be done outside, which is a PITA with dust, pollen, and bugs.. ( I think the smell attracts them)

Anyway, great job.. Enjoy

Latest posts

Back