VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got some carbon fiber parts on my MAX so I bought some nice carbon fiber vinyl at Autozone. Put a piece of paper over the Yamaha on the scoop and created a pencil rub which I created letter stencils out of. It took some time to properly cut them out with an exacto knife but I now have carbon fiber scoop inlays.

D

I installed these inlays back in 2000 on my scoops, too. They have held up well until my bike was put to rest in 2010.

So I took one of my scoops off and decided I would try painting the "Yamaha". Used some of my fiancees high dollar nail polish. If it chips off, no big deal. I never power wash it and its always inside so not too worried about it. Going to touch it up again because when you are really close it doesn't look the best and the last "A" looks a lot worse in the pic! I'm going to try and fill the letters to the top to smooth it out. Here is what this side looks like so far.

Attachments

• 2012-04-05_13-16-59_43.jpg
    2012-04-05_13-16-59_43.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 163
  • 2012-04-05_13-30-02_721.jpg
    2012-04-05_13-30-02_721.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 141
  • 2012-04-05_13-30-06_653.jpg
    2012-04-05_13-30-06_653.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 149
Kinda cool, but..

1 I reckon you could color match it better to your paint work - in the photos it looks a bit pink

2 I reckon add a coat of glitter on top. Super bling in the sunshine :cool:

Last edited:
A former friend swapped me a set of polished scoops for a set of saddlebags a few weeks ago, and I wanted the lettering done in red like the old scoops were. I went to a hobby shop and got a small bottle of red enamel - Testors, the kind you use to paint model cars - and a tiny cheap artists brush. Obviously, you need to remove the scoops from the bike, and lay them flat. You also need to be steady of hand and sober.... I carefully laid the paint in heavy with the brush. Not to just put a coat on the inside of the letters, but to actually partially FILL the letters with paint. Do it carefully, and you won't get paint all over everything, and the edges of the paint will be straight and not all uneven. This took me a couple hours, with a break or two to rest up my cramped hand, but it really came out well. Thinking about it, I think a tiny bit of thinner to make the paint flow easier would help make the actual surface of the paint inn the letters more flat.

Last edited:
Just to weigh in on this, I went for the paint option. When i bought my max the scoops were in ok nick apart from the previous owner had used a keyring with his ignition key, the constant battering the keyring gave the scoop while riding had destroyed a fair amount of laquer. I took all the laquer off but didnt want pure shine, I wanted it to look good but also show that I had done it, so its a little more agricultural than many here would tolerate. But the lack of definition on the yamaha text has irritated me for ages. So last night I finally committed to painting them. Hand painted in enamel black, then used a piece of kitchen roll pulled tight and slid over the surface to remove most of the excess. Let it dry then t cut the rest off.
Then to keep it looking right with the rest of the bike, i have some colour matched paint in aerosol. Masked off the area as tight as possible in a rectangle, sprayed it then did the same tcut and kitchen roll approach. Looks good to me. I cant buff the letters so they dont pop in the same way the purple of the tank does, but in daylight they look spot on with the bike and show as the purple they are rather than the black the photo seems to show them as under flourescent lights.

So for me? Paint wins every time, match it how you want it rather than just a close sticker colour. Have painted stuff like this on other bikes over the years and never had any issues.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
I've used one of the links on the first page. I don't remember which one, but neither works anyways. And the inlays look great! Of course they aren't body color, but I really like the black look. I felt they matched the letters really well, and after a few years of them being on the bike, I'm sure they're wax coated and sun caked on, which is fine by me. Here's a pic.

Attachments

• 20150121_163247scoop.jpg
    20150121_163247scoop.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 102
I shoot plasti-dip in there and rub off the excess. You can have whatever color you want for $6, and change it whenever.

I recently bought 2011 Vmax. I am now a part of the Badass club. Does anyone know where to buy chrome intakes and side covers?

We can help you with all things chrome! A few examples are attached. Email me at [email protected]

Attachments

• IMG_4776.jpg
    IMG_4776.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4792.jpg
    IMG_4792.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4795.jpg
    IMG_4795.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4806.jpg
    IMG_4806.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4812.jpg
    IMG_4812.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 41
I was hoping to get to Thunder this year with Redbone but it looks like I'll be headed back to Newfoundland and Labrador with Dave this summer on the Super T!
I do have a couple more pieces to bolt on but need to have some paintwork done to them so they really stand out. I'm going to get rid of all the touring stuff on her so she looks like a proper Vmax!

I order a set in blue for my 1986 bluse Vmax. I had put on chrome scoops and it was a lot of chrome so these inlays broke it up nicely.

Latest posts

Back