Cleaning your Baby

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karmakatt

Reaction score
I've learned a lot about cleaning and Detailing within the last year. When I bought my VMax last October the previous owner washed it just before I rode it away.

Due to limitations of not having a hose to clean my ride at my apartment I decided to try Maguire's Ultimate Waterless Wax/Wash. It did a fantastic job on cleaning everything from the Faux Tank to my UFO exhaust. The only thing is make sure that no excessive dirt is present or you'll end up cleaning and scratching your paint. I used this product for months with clean Micro Fiber Clothes.

Finally I decided to wash it at work on an off shift. I purchased Maguire's "Ultimate" Wash (yellow shit) and it did a great job. Far better than the "Waterless" which I still use in a pinch. They also offer a drying towel that leaves no streaks when used correctly.

Here's where it gets interesting. I purchased the Maguire's Ultimate Quick Wax Spray. It didn't seem to do any thing different than the Waterless Wax/Cleaner. But hey. It said WAX on the bottle and too use it specifically after washing.

Now I decided to spend more money and buy a Detailer Spray that is supposed to be used after Waxing. Funny thing is after I sprayed it on, it was like moving concrete instead of a simple glide. I knew that either this Detailer was a wax or the Quick Wax I applied only a couple days earlier was garbage.

So I called Maguire's 1-800 # on their bottle and explained my situation to a live person. Basicly were not sure why the Quick Spray Wax didn't take to my Faux Tank but I bought and used the Wax NXT 2.0 lotion w/applicator and did her up right.

My next step is too use Isopropyl Alcohol to strip off all the wax, wash her down with the Maguires Ultimate Wash and use the NXT 2.0 (only on high gloss painted) surfaces and avoid Chrome BTW. I will be using Autosol metal cleaner/conditioner on all my Chrome and Aluminum.

I also use the Waterless Wax/ Cleaner on my engine (after i wash her down with water and the yellow stuff) and it doesn't seem to have any other effects other than making my ride shine and look fantastic.

Might need to invest in a new pair of sunglasses from all the sheen your bike has. Oh and...

:ttiwwp:

My Vmax must be a hillbilly, because it only takes a bath twice a year (whether it needs it or not). :clapping: :punk:

I'll snap some pics tomorrow... I won't be cleaning up the Chrome till Friday or Saturday w/Autosol. I'm stoked about this product in particular as "some" say it's one of the best metal cleaners/polishers you can get.
I'm new at this but I'll pass on pics and info..

I use Spray-Way glass and surface cleaner on everything. (never clean a hot pipe!)
It is a nice aresol foam that disolves road grime and bug guts, but has nothing caustic to harm paint, plastic or upholtery. Use a terry cloth towel on everything you can touch. For tight places and fine details the towel won't reach, I let the spray soak a bit and blow it oout with compressed air.
For shine, I use lemon Pledge. Unbelievable! Try it!

Those out of reach places behind the head-pipes and underneath get a light spray of WD-40. It's the best non-stick to minimize road grime and bugs on the next outing.

My whole kit costs little more than $10. I've used it for years. Learned it from a guy with museum quality GSXRs and such, some with 200k miles on them. They all look showroom new.

I'm a little wrapped up in this whole expensive set up right now Scotty, but, I'll consider your recommendations for sure... Thanks for the advice..

Lee

Well I had a chance to have a good look at her outside and the pieces I waxed up with the NXT 2.0 looked real good. Too my disappointment small scratches still appeared on the Faux Tank. On the plus side, the paint did look fantastic and the OEM red swirls against the black looked almost like flecks of flake that weren't as noticeable before. I'm going to try the detailer quick spray as well as notice how water beads or sheets on the Wax covered areas. I'll know within 2 weeks if the Maguires line is at all worth the effort. Once I strip Her down with the Alcohol I'll give her 1 more fair shake.

I like the NXT products, but I like Regex even better. But the bike must be completely clean before using Regex as it has no cleaners in it.

I have been into detailing over the last year. I found that there is definitely a hierarchy of quality to products. Maguire's NXT line up is close to the highest quality you will find in big box stores. However, buying online is definitely worth it. I really enjoy products by Chemical Guys out of California. My dad has been using Adams, and likes them. In my mind, some of the highest quality product (and some of the most expensive) is from AMMO in NYC. Look up AMMONYC on youtube for some great tutorials and info. about detailing. I haven't bought any of there stuff because I don't have a $few hundred lying around for car sealant. Anyway... my two cents.

+1 for the Pledge lemon. Not as durable as the wax but it really do wonders in term of shine and keeping the dust away.

Mine gets a bath about every two weeks and if i Get caught in nasty weather , using meguiars deep crystal soap if bad or the motorcycle detailed mist and wipe on the painted parts and pig spit on the motor and hard to reach places and rims

Cool thread. There's a vintage bike night coming up in November. I was thinking of taking my V-Max. Not that it's vintage, but I've been to 3 "bike nights" in the area now and haven't seen ONE V-Max. So I figure I'll take mine just to add to the diversity. I wanted to clean it up really nice and have been looking around at what others are using.

Cool thread. There's a vintage bike night coming up in November. I was thinking of taking my V-Max. Not that it's vintage, but I've been to 3 "bike nights" in the area now and haven't seen ONE V-Max. So I figure I'll take mine just to add to the diversity. I wanted to clean it up really nice and have been looking around at what others are using.

What bike nights you been to? Mine has been at Mile 277 on Wednesdays and Geos in Belleville, IL on Thursdays.

So I added the NXT 2.0 on the OEM Faux Tank and OEM front and rear Fenders and she does sparkle. I know that the NXT 2.0 Wax is working because of the shine and when I use the Quik Detailer now, it doesn't "stick" like it did before I used the NXT 2.O

I found the Quik Spray Wax to be less than stellar and suggest the NXT 2.0 lotion w/applicator.
I use the Liquid Soap/Wax (Yellow) on the whole bike first and it has a thick foam that does a a great job. I wipe it dry with a large drying cloth and than when she's good and dry use the NXT 2.0 as advised. The next day, I'll use quik Detailer spray on just about everything. I use a foam glass cleaner on my glass mirrors and have yet to use the Autosol on the Chrome and Aluminum.

Unless otherwise mentioned I use Maguire's products except the Autosol and glass cleaner. I also buy simonz Micro Fibre regular hand sized towels when they go on sale.

2013-10-05 21.36.31.jpg

20131010_143100_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20130928_021416.jpg
so i added the nxt 2.0 on the oem faux tank and oem front and rear fenders and she does sparkle. I know that the nxt 2.0 wax is working because of the shine and when i use the quik detailer now, it doesn't "stick" like it did before i used the nxt 2.o

i found the quik spray wax to be less than stellar and suggest the nxt 2.0 lotion w/applicator.
I use the liquid soap/wax (yellow) on the whole bike first and it has a thick foam that does a a great job. I wipe it dry with a large drying cloth and than when she's good and dry use the nxt 2.0 as advised. The next day, i'll use quik detailer spray on just about everything. I use a foam glass cleaner on my glass mirrors and have yet to use the autosol on the chrome and aluminum.

Unless otherwise mentioned i use maguire's products except the autosol and glass cleaner. I also buy simonz micro fibre regular hand sized towels when they go on sale.

So what are you guys using to remove baked on grime that accumulates on the front of the engine (below radiator, near oil filter) after riding hundreds of miles at a time in the rain and bug infested air.

So what are you guys using to remove baked on grime that accumulates on the front of the engine (below radiator, near oil filter) after riding hundreds of miles at a time in the rain and bug infested air.

I'm going to try Auto Glym from England. I'm going to hit the bottom of my oil pan to see how it degreases grime. Auto Glym carries a huge line of products for bugs and grime from what I can see on the shelf@Canadian Tire. .

What bike nights you been to? Mine has been at Mile 277 on Wednesdays and Geos in Belleville, IL on Thursdays.

Been to the Mile 277 twice and Vintage Bike Night at Schlafly's once. Mile 277 was cool, but 90% Harleys. I got no problems with Harley's, just so many of them. It's nice to see a bit of diversity.

Back