Harley makes my day!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow Dan-O!!!! Another "epiphany" for me to contemplate! I will have to consult 85MAX-fan for the more technical aspects of such a concept. He is far more enlightened on topics of this nature than I. We should get started immediately!

I'm thrilled that this has picqued your interest and, of course, 85MF has to be involved in the project.

I have a call in to Don Johnson for some input as he has a bit of experience in the Bimini area, also have a good friend who ran a big Donzi out of Bogata....I'll be talkin' to him soon's they release him! :biglaugh:

Maybe pick up a little info on the 'nautical' side of things!

I'm thinking smaller is better here....like maybe a tiny little 3 point hydro to house the v max powerplant....whadda ya think? :ummm:

My wife has a Hobie 16' catamaran. Looks similar to this:

I could donate it to the project. Its very small and very lightweight. The rudder fins would automatically collapse if taken up a large launch ramp so thats a plus. I'm thinking with a little aluminum framework a proper engine mount could be fabbed up. If some kind mechanism could be made to turn the mast for the main sail horizontally during launch I believe it would increase any jump at least 10 fold. I'm thinking 2000' is acheivable with this concept. The jib could be left in place and would help in maintaining a straight flight path for ultimate distance.

That is so awesome!! I managed to knock down my first two kills last night myself, like you Rock I didn't pick the fight but I sure as hell finished it!! I couldn't do it the way you did though, the new Shinko hooks up to good! :clapping:

I think Mike is on to something there! Catamaran would give it plenty of bouyancy for lining up to the launch ramp but then could tilt onto one hull to lessen water resistance once up to speed. Hell, maybe just a outrigger style that would drop off....
Just throwing ideas out there to maybe help the Vmax water launch program on it's way!:punk::punk:

I know several Harley riders from work, some tourbike riders, sportbike enthusiasts, and Harley clone owners. VMax-ers are right up there as the biggest spenders on aftermarket goodies I know, no offense.

Blaine
No offence taken I know Vmax riders spend lots of money. I guess my point was If I am gonna spend 14,000 grand on something. I am gonna start with something that runs half way decent to start with.

That is so awesome!! I managed to knock down my first two kills last night myself, like you Rock I didn't pick the fight but I sure as hell finished it!! I couldn't do it the way you did though, the new Shinko hooks up to good! :clapping:

Sweet deal SRK, way to knock em out! I tell you what after reading the tire threads I hear that Avon makes a real good burnout tire. I am considering getting another rear wheel so I can switch them out depending on my intended purpose. Street racing the MAX is great fun but so is doing huge burnouts and drifting the bike. Right now with the worn Dunlop on the rear my max is just right for a good smoke show but hard to keep from breaking loose.

I think Mike is on to something there! Catamaran would give it plenty of bouyancy for lining up to the launch ramp but then could tilt onto one hull to lessen water resistance once up to speed. Hell, maybe just a outrigger style that would drop off....
Just throwing ideas out there to maybe help the Vmax water launch program on it's way!:punk::punk:

I taking notes on all these ideas. I think you are right Redbone that the key element in this complex equation is the lessening of water resistance. A break away hull would also probably be a good way to ensure saftey and overall stability by improving the aerodynamic nature of the vessel.

The question is what would we name it?:ummm:

I saw that post the other week with the Harley with the Jim's motor in it running mid 10's. I don't really get it but it sure is a sleeper. If I were buying a bike like that I don't think I would set it up to race. Kind of like making a VMAX into a monster truck or perhaps an offshore power boat.

Wait a minuite! Sean do you think it would be possible?? I think I am on to something here.

I think it's already been done :biglaugh:
VMax_Yamaha_1.jpg

I'm thrilled that this has picqued your interest and, of course, 85MF has to be involved in the project.

I have a call in to Don Johnson for some input as he has a bit of experience in the Bimini area, also have a good friend who ran a big Donzi out of Bogata....I'll be talkin' to him soon's they release him! :biglaugh:

Maybe pick up a little info on the 'nautical' side of things!

I'm thinking smaller is better here....like maybe a tiny little 3 point hydro to house the v max powerplant....whadda ya think? :ummm:

OK,
I have again been on the road with work swallowing all of my time and have just returned to find this thread.
I can say this:
1) Love the catamaran idea, but a trimaran is better. We could utilize the engines from my 85, "Skyshot", and Rocko's 2000CF. No cash outlay beyond the hull and drives.
Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, has distance jumped a trimaran powered by triple V-max engines!
2) I don't think the idea of a V-max powered offshore jumping for distance has a lot of merit. Those suckers are big time heavy, and in competition form are cranking something like 2 or 3 x blown big blocks with over 1000 HP each. I am in anyways....
Of course if we just want to own the record it's there for the taking as nobody, and I mean NOBODY, is actively jumping anything like a 38ft long 24 degree dead-rise hull with V-max engines.
We may need to get Turbo V-max in on this to get us enough power to get this thing up on plane just to build enough speed to exit the water. I vote for something light like a Sunsation or Checkmate as they tend to be lighter than a Cigarette or Fountain and cheaper to boot.
3) Regardless of the craft, I will try to hook us up with three blackhawk surface drives, they have less parasitic loss, and should easily clear hitting the launch ramp with little or no damage. Particularly with the Trimaran we may have to make a number of attempts to connect with the right wind direction etc. as the drift will make or break us on distance. Just go to you tube to check out some of those windsurfer dudes.....
The offshore will hopefully be a one shot done deal.
4) Danny, while we could use a closed cooling system to avoid pulling in lake water for cooling, it would be a butt-load heavier with the heat exchanger on board.
I vote for something a little more radical, we pull the water pumps, and fill the cooling jackets of the engines with TWO PART AEROSPACE foam! Aside from adding stiffness to the block this will add floatation in the event we get out of shape and stuff the bow on re-entry.
I can pull the cylinder head wing boxes off of "Skyshot" and mount them to the left and right side engines for more lift.

Normally I like to drive, but I feel this one has Rock's meat hooks all over it and it was his idea, so he gets pilot on these attempts.
:th_party39:

OK,
I have again been on the road with work swallowing all of my time and have just returned to find this thread.
I can say this:
1) Love the catamaran idea, but a trimaran is better. We could utilize the engines from my 85, "Skyshot", and Rocko's 2000CF. No cash outlay beyond the hull and drives.
Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, has distance jumped a trimaran powered by triple V-max engines!
2) I don't think the idea of a V-max powered offshore jumping for distance has a lot of merit. Those suckers are big time heavy, and in competition form are cranking something like 2 or 3 x blown big blocks with over 1000 HP each. I am in anyways....
Of course if we just want to own the record it's there for the taking as nobody, and I mean NOBODY, is actively jumping anything like a 38ft long 24 degree dead-rise hull with V-max engines.
We may need to get Turbo V-max in on this to get us enough power to get this thing up on plane just to build enough speed to exit the water. I vote for something light like a Sunsation or Checkmate as they tend to be lighter than a Cigarette or Fountain and cheaper to boot.
3) Regardless of the craft, I will try to hook us up with three blackhawk surface drives, they have less parasitic loss, and should easily clear hitting the launch ramp with little or no damage. Particularly with the Trimaran we may have to make a number of attempts to connect with the right wind direction etc. as the drift will make or break us on distance. Just go to you tube to check out some of those windsurfer dudes.....
The offshore will hopefully be a one shot done deal.
4) Danny, while we could use a closed cooling system to avoid pulling in lake water for cooling, it would be a butt-load heavier with the heat exchanger on board.
I vote for something a little more radical, we pull the water pumps, and fill the cooling jackets of the engines with TWO PART AEROSPACE foam! Aside from adding stiffness to the block this will add floatation in the event we get out of shape and stuff the bow on re-entry.
I can pull the cylinder head wing boxes off of "Skyshot" and mount them to the left and right side engines for more lift.

Normally I like to drive, but I feel this one has Rock's meat hooks all over it and it was his idea, so he gets pilot on these attempts.
:th_party39:

This is fantastic! That is why I always come to you for "guidance" on such matters. Your sound reason, logic and advice once again leaves little room for comment or criticism. I do feel that some of the other "genius" minds on this forum could help catapult this project right into a DEFCON 1 situation. Full throttle ahead!!!

This is fantastic! That is why I always come to you for "guidance" on such matters. Your sound reason, logic and advice once again leaves little room for comment or criticism. I do feel that some of the other "genius" minds on this forum could help catapult this project right into a DEFCON 1 situation. Full throttle ahead!!!
Full "throttles" ahead. Its going to be a triple screw.....

While it's entirely possible it'll turn into a triple screw.... I think "tri-prop" works better....whacha think? :ummm:
This is serious business Bucko. Sarcasm is not welcome. I don't think that a true competition environment has room for tomfoolery.
:real mad:

No offence taken I know Vmax riders spend lots of money. I guess my point was If I am gonna spend 14,000 grand on something. I am gonna start with something that runs half way decent to start with.

And it also depends on your ultimate goal. If your goal is to add every chrome bit known to man, a Harley makes a good starting platform. Trying to turn a Harley cruiser into a VMax-competitor may be more of a challenge.

I look at it this way: if you hang with other VMax-ers and you want your ride to stand out from other VMax's then you may end up spending money in the 14k or pricer range. E.g. A big-bore job, R1 brakes, suspension mods, radials, exhaust for a Max can carry a substantial price tag...enough to make a crotch-rocket rider wonder WTF??? However, VMax-ers probably won't give a crap about what sportbike riders think of his/her mods anyway.

If you're a Harley rider wanting to stand out against your Harley buddies, a serious engine makeover will definitively help. Will it be enough to go up against a VMax...probably not, but it shouldn't matter as the final product works well and the customer is happy.

Blaine

This is serious business Bucko. Sarcasm is not welcome. I don't think that a true competition environment has room for tomfoolery.
:real mad:

Alright....just trying to head off certain verbal abuse that's gonna come along soon as this goes public....but if you wanna be the brunt of all those "3 fingered willie" jokes, so be it!!

Anyhow...on to more important stuff....whaddya think about....instead of the tri-maran....going with a flat bottomed craft with a very modest centerboard and ailerons for aerial stability?

The advantages of such a design boggle the mind!!!

triple screw......Bwaaahahaha!!! :rofl_200:

Not even the Vrod stands a chance against a Max. Supposedly the "hot hog" of the lineup, a bone stock Max will take it no problemo.

Just reading on some V-rod forums about stock bikes running the 1/4 mile in the low 12's...high 11's for some with aftermarket pipes and the airbox cover removed. I went back and read about the recent St. Thomas track day and most of the Max's were running in the 11's and 12's and several of these Max's are not bone stock. I would have to argue that the V-rod rider does have "a prayer" in a 1/4 race with a Gen-1 V-Max providing neither is a professional rider. You could argue that a Rocket III would also have a decent chance of taking a Max in a similar situation.

Cheers!

Blaine

While I've only even seen a Rocket 3 once, there were a couple reports here that they'll give the Max a pretty close race. Then again, they do have nearly 2x the displacement.

My buddy with the M109 raced against a Vrod (with claimed "mild motor work") and while it wasn't a total blowout for the hd, the M109 beat it off the line and slowly pulled away from it the whole time.

My Vmax takes that M109, so unless the Vrod has a blower hanging off the side I don't have much to be afraid of.

Latest posts

Back