Not so perfect vision

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistedmax

Reaction score
This is down the rd from me for sale, not froze up but not running, what's it worth?

Attachments

• photo (147).jpg
    photo (147).jpg
    89 KB · Views: 110
  • photo (148).jpg
    photo (148).jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 122
  • photo (149).jpg
    photo (149).jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 106
  • photo (150).jpg
    photo (150).jpg
    109 KB · Views: 115
Not much. $150-$300? I sold one to a friend for $750 after trying for almost a year to get $1000. It was a good running clean bike. They get killer fuel mileage (over 60 mpg) and very nuetral handling. If the bike only had more power it would really be fun. As it is the v twin really has a ton of acceleration for no bigger then it is. I'd say it rivals current twins twice it's size.

I do have a few spare parts and may even have a spare engine.

Sean

This is down the rd from me for sale, not froze up but not running, what's it worth?

Rick, whaddayamean "what's it worth?". It's a YAMAHA for heavens sake. Therfore, it is priceless.

Add it to your collection. Make it run. Spruce it up. Make a "Visiongasser" for it. The value can only go higher yet after that.

:eusa_dance:

Not being Familiar with the bikes ,At first I thought it was a V twin and looked at it and saw four pipes . I thought it may have been a small V four ,but apparently not. I wonder what kind of bobber I could make out of it? It would sound different !

Hmmm, pretty impressive line-up on the design team! From Wikipedia: "Several high profile external design houses contributed to the design of the XZ550 including GK Design Associates for design, and reputedly Cosworth for the engine and Porsche for the final drive"

Hmmm, pretty impressive line-up on the design team! From Wikipedia: "Several high profile external design houses contributed to the design of the XZ550 including GK Design Associates for design, and reputedly Cosworth for the engine and Porsche for the final drive"

I saw one article that said they had great Acceleration. It's a 550 and claims 65hp , that's more then alot of sportster s . I'm thinking about trying to pick it up cheap and put it away untill I have time to do something with it.

The acceleration will surprise. The engine really doesn't mind the higher rev's which is what kills a lot of twins. it's dual intake and exhaust so it does appear to be a v twin at first glance. We were going to do a Vmax transplant into one for a customer but he changed his mind. There is a thread on that somewhere on here too (in the Muscle section).

I recall them new. They got a bad rap for a hesitation/flat spot on the throttle, midrange I believe. It turned out to be something minor, but it caused a lot of bad press. More of an annoyance, apparently. I think by the last year they 'fixed' it. If I recall, it may have been a different tune on the CV carbs, maybe a different needle. I don't recall exactly.

It's generally the same thing as a Suzuki TL1000 for the engine layout, one-quarter of a Cosworth V-8! A cool smaller-displacement bike that you won't see very often. The KZ550 probably outsold it 10:1. I'd say, get it for a plaything, try to get it running, but don't sink much into it. You will probably never get your $$$ back.

I recall them new. They got a bad rap for a hesitation/flat spot on the throttle, midrange I believe. It turned out to be something minor, but it caused a lot of bad press. More of an annoyance, apparently. I think by the last year they 'fixed' it. If I recall, it may have been a different tune on the CV carbs, maybe a different needle. I don't recall exactly.

It's generally the same thing as a Suzuki TL1000 for the engine layout, one-quarter of a Cosworth V-8! A cool smaller-displacement bike that you won't see very often. The KZ550 probably outsold it 10:1. I'd say, get it for a plaything, try to get it running, but don't sink much into it. You will probably never get your $$$ back.

Unfortunately, producing an entirely new product from scratch is never without initial problems, and the Vision suffered from a few. An off-idle carburetion quirk, known as the "Vision stumble", meant the first year machines were prone to initial stuttering on part and full-throttle takeoff. The "Vision stumble" problem, after months of research, was finally solved by racer Marc Salvisberg, who later started Factory Pro Tuning. The problem, it seemed, wasn't a Yamaha development problem at all, but was actually a lean spot, just off idle, caused by what appeared to be residual casting sand that filled the "off-idle" bleed holes at the throttle butterfly plate in the "Weber style" Mikuni carb. That information was immediately relayed to Yamaha U.S., where it was relayed to Japan and verified. The 1983 models carbureted essentially flawlessly.

Todd

Unfortunately, producing an entirely new product from scratch is never without initial problems, and the Vision suffered from a few. An off-idle carburetion quirk, known as the "Vision stumble", meant the first year machines were prone to initial stuttering on part and full-throttle takeoff. The "Vision stumble" problem, after months of research, was finally solved by racer Marc Salvisberg, who later started Factory Pro Tuning. The problem, it seemed, wasn't a Yamaha development problem at all, but was actually a lean spot, just off idle, caused by what appeared to be residual casting sand that filled the "off-idle" bleed holes at the throttle butterfly plate in the "Weber style" Mikuni carb. That information was immediately relayed to Yamaha U.S., where it was relayed to Japan and verified. The 1983 models carbureted essentially flawlessly.

Todd

This is an 82, will the carbs from an 83 "fix" the problem?

$300 dollar bike, tops. Had one back in the 90's and it wasn't a slug, couldn't give it away either. No market for them really.

I would imagine parts are impossible to get. They also made a small tourer version with fairing, etc. Unusual and interesting bike though.

I would grab it for cheap and mess around with it as time permits. it is pretty cool

Brochurexz550rk_Pg03.jpg

This is an 82, will the carbs from an 83 "fix" the problem?

Yes, the '83 carbs will fix the issue. There may be some information on how to modify and correct the '82 carbs but I do not know for sure. I had one in the area I wanted but it was sold before I got there. Looks like a fun little bike to hop around on. If you find the original fairing, there are ducts you can open and close to allow air flow for the summer and close them off for spring and fall riding to keep the cold off of you somewhat anyways. Here is the original article on the Vision.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_XZ_550

Todd

Latest posts

Back