Did Harleyget it right for once?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedi-

Reaction score
Being more of a "custom" bike enthusiast I actually like it.
Model is called "Breakout"

Attachments

• 13-hd-breakout-bs.jpg
    13-hd-breakout-bs.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 221
Good looking bike. I enjoy the hell out of putting around on harleys. Right up till i get stuck behind slow traffic.

Nice looking, too bad they haven't done much with engine design. I'd have thought they'd go over head cam by now on all their engines. They'd get more interest if they could.
Steve

Last edited:
I believe the all American HD V Rod was developed by Engineers in Germany. Anyone confirm this? If so, that is possibly a sign of change tot come.

The Vrod engine was designed by Porsche for Harley. Great engine and has been pretty bullet proof too.

The newest innovation from Harley is the introduction of liquid cooled heads on some of their new models. I believe this is to help comply with the upcoming emissions standards.

Talking to a few Harley Loyalists at a few bike nights, they all complained about the new liquid cooled engines, stating that just more things that could go wrong on a bike.

Mike

Yes it was developed by the Germans but look at the other aspects of the bike - same as the V max. But at the same time you can only package the greatness of a V-4 so many ways...

Harley made the best bike they could and the people hated it. They like the rattle of their pump jack motors.

At the Toolmaker/Project manager job I left, we made the tooling for forming Harley mufflers and pipes with all the emission stuff too. The company that made them for years was bought out by Tennaco (Walker Muffler) and they moved the lines to Nebraska. I am sure it was the onset of the emissions that had a hand in the selling of the company. The tooling we built for the light/heavy duty truck emission's stuff was crazy....they took a line we developed and put it in Germany - we are cheap labor in the US.

Vrod is not a copy of the Vmax... in anyway... Heres a pic of the two together, not one simularity.

1186154_737757439570921_296319339_n.jpg

Yamaha did copy the Harley that never was... (this is a copy)

hdnova.jpg

144217_NOVALead.300x178.jpg

images

I'm glad that Yamaha continued where Harley left off!

Vrod is not a copy of the Vmax... in anyway... Heres a pic of the two together, not one simularity.

1186154_737757439570921_296319339_n.jpg

NOTHING like one another , havin driven both , not even close...Powerband , delivery , handling...night and day .

More in concept then actually putting them right next to each other.....and wow I guess 20+ years after the first design of the VMax you would think that the Harley V Rod would have more modern features and layout....missing the point completely.

Main difference to me between the two bikes is the fact I own and love a VMax, and wouldn't take a VRod as a gift....

I saw one of them new Harley's with the liquid cooled heads. The owner loves it. (It will go to his wife next year, when he goes and gets another one.

Personally, I would not mind seeing ALL air cooled HD's getting the liquid cooled heads.

I saw one of them new Harley's with the liquid cooled heads. The owner loves it. (It will go to his wife next year, when he goes and gets another one.

Personally, I would not mind seeing ALL air cooled HD's getting the liquid cooled heads.

Right now they have a good place to hide the radiators in the leg shields on the dressers. It will be harder to hide them on the other bikes. It will take a major adjustment on the HD faithful to accept highly visible radiators...

Back