B-25 test ride

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmax1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the chance to take a ride in this B-25 bomber that had landed at the Sedona airport. It was amazing to feel the 2 V-12 engines cranking out the power to get us airborne. It was a half hour ride. What an amazing view! I could only imagine what was going thru the minds of the crew on a bombing mission. I know I would definitely do it again. The best part I was able to sit in the top gun turret during the ride. :th_image003:

Attachments

• B-25 001.jpg
    B-25 001.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 51
  • B-25 002.jpg
    B-25 002.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 45
Hells yeah!!!! Around 24 yrs ago i got to go through a fully restored B-25 and B-17 with my grandpa. They were part of the Confederate Air Force if i remember correctly. The fun part was getting to ride in the B-17! My grandpa was a navy photographer in WWII, most flew in Catalina flying boats, and as it turned out, the pilot of the B-17 was one my grandpa had in the war! Thats the only reason we got to go up, lol. Back then it took nerves ofsteel and big brass balls to be a photographer, you had to lean out the door of the plane to take the recon photos!!! Its an amazing thing to get to ride in an old war machine like that... it really drives home an understanding of what our troops experienced in the effort to fight tyranny back then.

Both great stories, I would love to have the chance to go up in one. My Dad was a pilot of a B-26 Marauder in WW2, and was lucky enough to make it home.

Sweet! What a cool thing to experience! When I was a mere lad we were given a tour of a local Air Force base (Kincheloe) as students. We were walked by a bomber (not sure if it was a B-52 in a hanger?) but the side door was open and the steps down so what was a couple of young lads to do but to explore! We sat in the cockpit, probably messed up all the switches but soon we thought we might get caught so we high tailed it out of there but our group was gone from the hanger. I can't remember getting in trouble but back then I was always in trouble so maybe we did, but we never said where we were.
EDIT: After reading more about the base and it's inventory, the aircraft was more than likely a KC-135a refueling tanker. Another interesting tidbit about Kincheloe was that portions of Bruce Willis' film Die Hard 2 were filmed here.

My uncle flew reconnaissance in the Lockheed P-38 during the war (European theater of operations). The plane was designated the P-5 in that role, and all guns were removed to give it a better ceiling and more speed. All he carried was a 1911 Colt .45. Thankfully he made it home and raised a big family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kKPKJ75B4vc

Some great shots of old airframes in this video.

You guys in those planes, what an experience. One day I'll spend my $ to ride in one too. I've toured many older planes at meets and airshows but never flown in one.

I had the chance a few times to fly in big bombers and the cost was prohibitive ( $450 for the last opportunity ).

I can only imagine what the roar of the mighty exhaust off that thing....

Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Back