Handlebars

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well you know Mike I live just over the border so maybe it could ship to me and somehow find it's way to you...:confused2: :biglaugh:

My buddy! that sounds like a plan and a good excuse for me to take a ride out your way - I'll look into it and let you know.

Thanks Mike

My buddy! that sounds like a plan and a good excuse for me to take a ride out your way - I'll look into it and let you know.

Thanks Mike
No problem Mike, anytime!
KJ, work it out with Mike if he wants to try them. You can ship it to me if it's cheaper, then Mike and I will have a excuse to see each others bikes and BS for a while! :thumbs up:

RMS Sportmax sells a 2" longer than stock bar that has the same shape and pull back as a stock.

I had those bars on for a while. I liked them. Gave me a little more low speed control while I was getting used to this Heavy bike. Sadly they got a little bent when my max was knocked over. So I went back to the stock bars.

I had those bars on for a while. I liked them. Gave me a little more low speed control while I was getting used to this Heavy bike. Sadly they got a little bent when my max was knocked over. So I went back to the stock bars.

Yeah, I really like them but I think drag bars look cooler. I'm afraid of Drag bars , it seems that many of the Bikes that have them have scratches on the airbox cover where they hit when turning the forks. What's up with that?

Yeah, I really like them but I think drag bars look cooler. I'm afraid of Drag bars , it seems that many of the Bikes that have them have scratches on the airbox cover where they hit when turning the forks. What's up with that?
If you using the stock riser/clamp system it is a close fit. I had to make sure mine were not rotated down at all to keep the bar/controls from hitting the tank. I have a 1" - 1.5" clearance between the faux tank and bars at full lock, left and right. The bars I got from Python Motorsports are a great fit for me, slight bend at elbows. A very natural feeling setup that give a better feeling of control from the stockers. I'm 5'11" with normal length :)confused2:) arms.

If you using the stock riser/clamp system it is a close fit. I had to make sure mine were not rotated down at all to keep the bar/controls from hitting the tank. I have a 1" - 1.5" clearance between the faux tank and bars at full lock, left and right. The bars I got from Python Motorsports are a great fit for me, slight bend at elbows. A very natural feeling setup that give a better feeling of control from the stockers. I'm 5'11" with normal length :)confused2:) arms.

I'm still having trouble visualizing where the problem with the drag bars lies. Is it better to have a short or long bar? I would like to try about a 30" bar but I have a custom paint job and I don't want to take a chance on messing it up.

It's not a big deal, I really like the way the Sportmax bars feel but it really gives a Cruiser look to the bike.

I'm still having trouble visualizing where the problem with the drag bars lies. Is it better to have a short or long bar? I would like to try about a 30" bar but I have a custom paint job and I don't want to take a chance on messing it up.

It's not a big deal, I really like the way the Sportmax bars feel but it really gives a Cruiser look to the bike.
The length is not the problem, it's the pull back. If you have them mounted correctly the pullback lies in a horizontal plane level with the clamp. When I said I had to "make sure the bars were not rotated down", I meant that the bars were not rotated below the level horizontal plane. If they were rotated down they most definately would hit the faux tank. If the bars were straight (no pull back) there would be no issues of this kind. But then they would pull my hands forward into a uncomfortable position.(IMO)
Here are the specs on my bars from Python motosports: 27 1/2" width - 3 3/4" pull back- 140mm center, straight no rise. I believe that, for example, 4gasems flanders bars have around 5" of pull back but are wider at over 30".
I don't know if this explains it very well, or even at all. I will post some pictures with my bars at full lock to further my explanation.

The length is not the problem, it's the pull back. If you have them mounted correctly the pullback lies in a horizontal plane level with the clamp. When I said I had to "make sure the bars were not rotated down", I meant that the bars were not rotated below the level horizontal plane. If they were rotated down they most definately would hit the faux tank. If the bars were straight (no pull back) there would be no issues of this kind. But then they would pull my hands forward into a uncomfortable position.(IMO)
Here are the specs on my bars from Python motosports: 27 1/2" width - 3 3/4" pull back- 140mm center, straight no rise. I believe that, for example, 4gasems flanders bars have around 5" of pull back but are wider at over 30".
I don't know if this explains it very well, or even at all. I will post some pictures with my bars at full lock to further my explanation.

I get the picture now. The description of the horizontal plane problem is a good explanation of where the problem lies with mounting any handlebar, not just drag bars. thanks.

No problem Mike, anytime!
KJ, work it out with Mike if he wants to try them. You can ship it to me if it's cheaper, then Mike and I will have a excuse to see each others bikes and BS for a while! :thumbs up:

I already sent them to grimmie.

I already sent them to grimmie.

No problem, KJ - I will be ordering a set from Python and having sent to Redbone - enjoy the new bars grimmie!

Once Brian gets them, I will take a ride his way to meet him and pick up the bars.

Mike

I went with 4gasem advice and have been really happy. My wrist and hands are way more relaxed now. I sit more up right. Just feels neutral now were as before I felt cramped up. The extra width and not sweeping back as much really fixed my complaints about the stock bars.

Thanks 4gasem for the advice.

Before
vmax1apb2.jpg

After
vmax2ali0.jpg

As promised here are some pics of my bike with drag bars at full lock left and right. As you can see the left lock has lots of clearance. The right lock is much closer (about 1/2 - 5/8"). A lot closer than I remembered.

Attachments

• IMG_2779.jpg
    IMG_2779.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2781.jpg
    IMG_2781.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 50
Back