So it's broke

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuarterHorse

Reaction score
Took the Max out for a ride today with a friend that just picked up his '85 with similar mods, and a friends sporty. We got on it and I've noticed since I put my dyna on that it doesn't seem to be pulling quite as hard and I'm not carrying the front tire when I snag 2nd or 3rd like I used to prior to the Dyna install. I've tried several timing curves, no change other than idle.

Anyway, shortly after we got after it, we're cruising along the back roads and the bike is running like crap, I pull over, fuel smell. I'm thinking the bike didn't go nose high but it's like when I took it to 11 o'clock the last time where the float had stuck up. I walk over the a farm house and ask to borrow a hammer and screw driver. Go back to the bike.

Unplugged the fuel pump, running all the fuel out of the bowls, I start tapping on the bowls with the screw driver/hammer get up. Plug the fuel pump back in, as it's filling I do the same. No change. I tell Jason we'll try it one more time. This time he's going at the bowls from a different angle as I'm running fuel out of the bowls. He say's, "Uh oh" and stops tapping. The short of it is he put a hole in my float bowl. Oh well things happen, it's not like he was smashing it, just a light tap, no harder than I would have. No foul, I'm just upset at the situation, not him at all.

I come to you with this, I need a bowl now. I assume Ma' Yamaha sells 'em? I won't be able to find out 'till tomorrow, but thought I'd better be prepared to start scouring the boards asking people if you fellas knew if Yamaha didn't sell 'em.

Anyway, that was my Sunday afternoon, friggin sucks and just adds to my lack luster weekend. :bang head:

I come to you with this, I need a bowl now.

crackhead.gif

I'd probably recommend just having a beer to take the edge off, instead.

I'm pretty sure you can't buy just the bowl from Yamaha, I think you have to buy the whole carb. Can you repair the bowl with a gas tank epoxy or putty?

Are we talking the cover with the hex bolt and vent tube? Or the carb body?

I'm going to call a friend at the Yammy shop tomorrow to see what's shakin' with 'em. If it's gonna take forever to get or it's uber pricey, I'd pay ya for one. If you could PM me a price shipped to 50317 I'd greatly appreciate it Mark.

Thanks,
Dustin

I'VE been going through some web-site's, & unfortunatly it looks like buster is right ! Looks like they don't sell it seperate. That is bullshit ! I can't believe it ! I'm sure that sean morley or one of our other friends on this site will be able to help you out ! OR IF SOMEONE WILL SPONSER ME FUELINJECTION I'LL GLADLY GIVE QUARTERHORSE ALL 4 OF MY CARBS ! :rofl_200:

Got the carbs off
Carbs1.jpg

Carbs2.jpg

The hole (Thanks Jason ;) )
Carbs3.jpg

Carbs4.jpg

I'll call Yammy tomorrow, Mark again, I appreciate it if you could shoot me a price, I'm sure I'll probably pick it up from you.

As of right now I'm going to go ahead and split the rack apart, clean everything up, and put 'er back together. Clean the bike up, and I think my lower manifolds are in need of some welding and perhaps 1 hole per added for a specific nozzel........

Works for me. How do you want the cash? Paypal, other? I'll make sure it's taken care of tomorrow. I'll just pick this one up from you, I'm sure IF yamaha had 'em it wouldn't be that cheap, or get here as quick as it will from you in Nebraska anyway. Let me know and I'll get it done. I'll pick up gaskets and all my other things from Yamaha tomorrow, or get 'em ordered anyway.

Thanks a TON Mark!

1/4 Horse...

Watch Mark on his shipping!!! Sometimes he under-quotes himself, and charges less than it costs!

:rofl_200:

Neil

Mark, make sure you have the right one. They are all different! If you don't have the correct one I am sure I do.

Sean

Sorry about the hole buddy! :bang head:Sh!t happens. You know I'll gladly pay for the part and help you with the repair. I owe you a helping hand anyway. Now lets hope for the best and you can get the bike back on the road by the weekend.

... don't forget the new fuel filter!

Mark, make sure you have the right one. They are all different! If you don't have the correct one I am sure I do.

Sean

Sean, they are all the same? Only thing different between pairs is the position of the vent tube but that can be turned 180*.

Works for me. How do you want the cash? Paypal, other? I'll make sure it's taken care of tomorrow. I'll just pick this one up from you, I'm sure IF yamaha had 'em it wouldn't be that cheap, or get here as quick as it will from you in Nebraska anyway. Let me know and I'll get it done. I'll pick up gaskets and all my other things from Yamaha tomorrow, or get 'em ordered anyway.

Thanks a TON Mark!

PayPal or personal check is fine, whatever you prefer. Let's just make shipping $5. Is that okay Neil? lol

Back