My '85 vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nosboss

Reaction score
I finally got a vmax that I have wanted for some time. I was on a budget (who's not?) and had some trouble finding a max to purchase. I then stumbled across this one in Illinois about a 270 mile drive from me. So Quarterhorse and I got in the car and left early on a Sunday morning. I was going off of the pictures that the guy sent me. I hate doing that cause pictures can hide a lot. He said it was his baby and he owned it since 1994. Well, he didn't take that good of care for it, he was just a dumbass. The bike wasn't what he said it was and I was close to walking away from it. I didn't want to because we just drove for 4 hours to get it. Long story short... I got the price down a bit and rode it home. Quarterhorse and I taking turns each gas tank.

The bike is a 1985 vmax with 15,180 miles when I picked it up. It has a Kerker 4-2-1 and a stage 7 kit. Also has the UFO seat ( a must I'm told).

on the way home:punk:

It was red at one time and then faded to pink... :clapping:

coming apart...:bang head:

here is my bike as it is now, it looks like a truck. (getting progressive stuff):ummm:

I painted it flat black for now so I wasn't riding a "pink" bike. I plan to paint it a dark blue soon or over the winter. Lots of other paint will go on this bike before I am done. I will probably will have my hands on every bolt in this thing. Those that know me know I can't leave well enough alone.:nud:

Jason

Congrats on your new pink VMAX, I must say I havent ever seen a pink one... a VMAX that is.:clapping: Just F'ing with ya...
If you like messing with things and tearing into them you got the right bike, this is every tinkerers dream bike.
I wouldnt worry about the paint on an 85 for now.
I would be looking for a late model transmission, along with a late model starter and a Stator.

You should have the Pink Panther airbrushed on the tank....:rofl_200:
Dont share tanks with Qaurterhorse just ride him bitch :rofl_200: J/K QH

I was wondering about the transmission. I heard they tend to fail in second gear. It seams to be just fine. In fact, I ride it hard and it has never missed a gear. Is there a sign I need to look for? :ummm:

... as for the pink, it only lasted for 24 hours like that. :rofl_200:

congrats on the purchase on the vmax. I have noticed no matter what the condition people buy the vmax , they always start doing stuff to personalize .good luck . Jason

Some of the best things in life are pink:biglaugh:

I was wondering about the transmission. I heard they tend to fail in second gear. It seams to be just fine. In fact, I ride it hard and it has never missed a gear. Is there a sign I need to look for? :ummm:

... as for the pink, it only lasted for 24 hours like that. :rofl_200:

Hey Jason:

I am new to the 85 motor also, I own a 99 but installed an 85 engine over the winter. I heard bad stories about the tranny. What the symptoms are mostly 2nd gear. You will be WOT and it will pop out of 2nd into N.
I have noticed this once so far with mine.
I would leave it pink and make sure you can whoop Qaurters VMAX and always give him hell and most of all when you do beat his VMAX come here to tell us about it so we can rag him also..:rofl_200:

Hey Jason:

I am new to the 85 motor also, I own a 99 but installed an 85 engine over the winter. I heard bad stories about the tranny. What the symptoms are mostly 2nd gear. You will be WOT and it will pop out of 2nd into N.
I have noticed this once so far with mine.
I would leave it pink and make sure you can whoop Qaurters VMAX and always give him hell and most of all when you do beat his VMAX come here to tell us about it so we can rag him also..:rofl_200:
:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200: I will be sure to let you guys know everytime I do it.

As for my 2nd gear, it seams to be fine right now. I will ride it untill it gives me trouble. I am sure its not fun to repair.

did someone say pink? Here's one we built a couple of years ago for a lady friend.

Sean

Attachments

• Jackie Peterson.jpg
    Jackie Peterson.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 38
did someone say pink? Here's one we built a couple of years ago for a lady friend.

Sean

Sean, was that Scott's ex's bike? Or Joynt's? That bike is the reason why KellieLu got her pinky flamed Vmax.

NosBoss...

Congrats on the new ride. I have a soft spot for the 85's and always like to see them on the road.

That pink would have turned a nice "Deep Scarlet" with a little 800-1500 wet sanding and rubbing compound I bet.

Enjoy the ride, and don't worry about the trans until you have a reason to!

Peace
Neil

That pink would have turned a nice "Deep Scarlet" with a little 800-1500 wet sanding and rubbing compound I bet.

That pink was after a buff. He works in a body shop FWIW. I'll let him tell you exactly what he did to make it so brilliantly pink though haha. It was noticeable, but not SO pink until he tried to take the buff or wet sand to it, don't remember.

Geeez...

I didn't realize the 85's were lacquer based :biglaugh:

Neil

He knew we'd give him so much shit for it he wanted to get something on it cheap and quick before the winter tear down, so he flat blacked it. When it was done, I told him I was flattered that he wanted to paint his bike like mine. Then I laughed some more. Both of our bikes are getting new color over the winter, and I hope to have some more go fast goodies on before too long, and more supporting stuff to go on over the winter as well.

We have a rivalry going, and the day my bike let me down was the first vehicle he had that we raced he actually beat me, though it wasn't by much, he beat me. :D

"Kick that turd over":rofl_200: That was to damn funny!!!

Better watch them 85 motors they fly as long as you can keep it in 2nd gear till 3rd.

"Kick that turd over":rofl_200: That was to damn funny!!!

Better watch them 85 motors they fly as long as you can keep it in 2nd gear till 3rd.

I don't buy into that, I think they all fly. I know what mine dyno'd to the tire, we're gonna tote his on the dyno when he gets some coin saved up. I need to get a few more items installed before I dyno/tune again.

I don't buy into that, I think they all fly. I know what mine dyno'd to the tire, we're gonna tote his on the dyno when he gets some coin saved up. I need to get a few more items installed before I dyno/tune again.

Stock it could be true.

85's had non-DOT approved exhaust and 30mm vboost tubing.

86 up got the approved exhaust and 32mm vboost tubes to even out the compromise.

With such a slight difference, it all really comes down to the individual, and those occasional freaky 85's that scream.

Every stock 85 I've riden has just a little more SOTP torque than the later models it feels like.

They all do fly 4 sure :punk:

Neil

Every year make model everything had "factory freaks" that ran better than the heard. I chalk up the '85 being faster as just another myth that is part of the V-Max persona. Just my belief though, I may be wrong.

Anywho, all joking aside Nosboss will do a good job with the bike I'm sure. He's inadvertainly making me step up my game now. I have a mod list on the computer begging to get some check marks.

Absolutely 1/4!!!

Just giving a little history on the changes some might not know about to weigh against the myths.

Neil

Yes, that was jackies bike. Scotts was the yellow one behind hers. That pic was taken in Johnstown in 06.

Sean

Back