What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
howz that magna compare to a vmax, never rode one

The Magna was my first dreambike, and it took me about 16 years to get it. It had great power for a cruiser, 2nd only to the Vmax and it had a nice growl when hard on the throttle. It was also pretty easy to wheelie, and I think they might have been the first big bike that could get the front wheel up without using the clutch. It was more about the rearward weight bias than the power, but it was a fun show off move :biglaugh:

It just so happens that the Kawasaki Concours 1000 has the same size wheels and has radials, so it was easy to put radials on the Magna. They made a world of difference, and allowed the bike so feel much more planted in the corners (just like they do for the Max!). I enjoyed the Magna till I sold it to move to Cali.

If I wasn't knee deep in Vmaxes, I'd consider getting a really nice example of a V65 Magna.

The Magna was my first dreambike, and it took me about 16 years to get it. It had great power for a cruiser, 2nd only to the Vmax and it had a nice growl when hard on the throttle. It was also pretty easy to wheelie, and I think they might have been the first big bike that could get the front wheel up without using the clutch. It was more about the rearward weight bias than the power, but it was a fun show off move :biglaugh:

It just so happens that the Kawasaki Concours 1000 has the same size wheels and has radials, so it was easy to put radials on the Magna. They made a world of difference, and allowed the bike so feel much more planted in the corners (just like they do for the Max!). I enjoyed the Magna till I sold it to move to Cali.

If I wasn't knee deep in Vmaxes, I'd consider getting a really nice example of a V65 Magna.

A fellow down in columbus ga has an 83 magna, he wants 1900 for it, I have been thinking about taking a drive down and looking at it. The paint job is bad but it is supposed to be in good mechanical conditio.

Got the wires spliced, took it for a 40 mile drive, no heat in the splices. Guess that will work until I order the pluge, courtesy of the web site blax max hooked me up with. Man I am lucky that thing did not melt down.

A fellow down in columbus ga has an 83 magna, he wants 1900 for it, I have been thinking about taking a drive down and looking at it. The paint job is bad but it is supposed to be in good mechanical conditio.

I've had a couple. I currently have a 1986 VF700C for buddies without bikes to ride. There are only two problems with magnas: the valve trains on all but 1986 and up of all displacements and the front brakes. They are the goddamn worst. There is no fixing them either because of the TRAC system.

I installed my new signals. $10 a pair on amazon. Cleaned up the max and getting ready for a nice Saturday cruise. She has come a long way since last September!
3adf66f81b55acf17507833849dd1e2e.jpg
7afbc992bd918d58e62b01c5aa7b0fec.jpg
7ca5ff8f1d5060d0c255959d454102b7.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I rode it finally! I had some wiring issues for the last few weeks that I finally fixed with a wiring kit, some auto grade 5 pin connectors, some rectifier diodes, and about 5 hours with my soldering iron. Got the 7" amazon headlight bucket with integrated signals working properly and the 3000 lumen led bulb installed and my "cafe" speedo fully wired up off the tank cluster. The yzf-750 forks from Sean are amazing, the Shinko 009 ravens are super grippy on 17" wheels, and I added some red reflector strips from customtaylor33 for extra safety on my flat black paint. Next up is to replace my rear pegs with led frame sliders.

Nice clean Vmax. Is it the camera angle or is the rake much less on the forks?

Just finished synchronizing the carbs after a rebuild. Progressive front fork springs are in. Progressive 444's are ordered, Oil change and differential oil, coolant change, apex battery is in for a cool 420 cca. Prior to today, had the carbs rebuilt by BRC, installed a lined tank to replace the rusty factory one, new fuel lines, new fuel pump.

Got stock pipes, kerker slip-on, new battery, and a stock airbox lid on there with stock needles and 150 mains. Started right up. Now I just need to get a copy of the title.

Just finished synchronizing the carbs after a rebuild. Progressive front fork springs are in. Progressive 444's are ordered, Oil change and differential oil, coolant change, apex battery is in for a cool 420 cca. Prior to today, had the carbs rebuilt by BRC, installed a lined tank to replace the rusty factory one, new fuel lines, new fuel pump.

Lined tank?

Cleaned my carbs... everything was going smooth until I dropped the AFR screw from the first victim (with spring, washer and o ring) into my 1 gallon growler that I JUST FILLED for the occasion with a rather tasty IPA, lol. Needless to say, i moved my growler after that and resigned myself to HAVING to drink a gallon of beer in order to finish the job, lol.

Now some of you are thinking, "Ok, not so bad, not great, but not bad", I only recovered the screw, washer and spring... pretty sure I swallowed the o ring, lol. I rinsed the growler a few times after emptying it and poured the water through a filter (found the washer that way. The spring and screw i found in my mouth, lol) but no luck. Fortunately, i had a spare o ring on hand to finish the job.

The lesson I learned from this one that I'd like to share with everyone, stick to cans or bottles when cleaning your carbs, they have a smaller opening thats a little bit harder to drop parts into!

Cleaned my carbs... everything was going smooth until I dropped the AFR screw from the first victim (with spring, washer and o ring) into my 1 gallon growler that I JUST FILLED for the occasion with a rather tasty IPA, lol. Needless to say, i moved my growler after that and resigned myself to HAVING to drink a gallon of beer in order to finish the job, lol.

Now some of you are thinking, "Ok, not so bad, not great, but not bad", I only recovered the screw, washer and spring... pretty sure I swallowed the o ring, lol. I rinsed the growler a few times after emptying it and poured the water through a filter (found the washer that way. The spring and screw i found in my mouth, lol) but no luck. Fortunately, i had a spare o ring on hand to finish the job.

The lesson I learned from this one that I'd like to share with everyone, stick to cans or bottles when cleaning your carbs, they have a smaller opening thats a little bit harder to drop parts into!
It says right down there-"experience is the best teacher" and then some other stuff-:rofl_200:

So how was the IPA with a little VMax flavor?

Replacing the battery, 2 coils, coolant flush, oil change, gear oil change, air in tires.

Latest posts

Back