Battery weak when hot?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hurleyman77

Reaction score
I remember having seen this on the forum somewhere, but my searches are not pulling up anything useful.

My bike acts like the battery is low, when it's hot. Simple as that.

When it's cold, it starts like a champ (with a little choke) and runs like a top. When it's hot, it acts like the battery is almost dead, but has still started every time. I haven't put it on the battery maintainer, yet, but it still starts fine every morning.

I thought I remembered this being a common problem, and seeing a writeup about it here before, but I'm not finding it now.

Hot start problem is typically an issue withe the old style, 2 brush starter.

There is a how to thread showing how to revamp a 2 brush for better performance. I'd start with that. If it helps, you may want to consider upgrading to a 4 brush unit

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hot start problem is typically an issue withe the old style, 2 brush starter.

There is a how to thread showing how to revamp a 2 brush for better performance. I'd start with that. If it helps, you may want to consider upgrading to a 4 brush unit

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If you've lived with it a while, be prepared to see toasted innards when you take it apart. I waited until I had to bump start it on a regular basis before I changed it out, so don't do that.

Hey Guy's I have the Same Problem on my 2003.

I'm new to the VMAX world. I took out the bike for its first long ride since my Purchase, it ran flawless until nearing the end of my trip and it stalled a stop light. I pushed the starter button and it would barley turn over but it did start. I got home shut it off restarted and it was the same problem having a hard time turning over. Within a few hours of letting it cool, the problem was gone.

When I purchased it the battery was flat and needed charging. the battery is 4 or 5 years old according to the past owner.

I have read my many different opinions on the what the problem may be

Where do I start?
Battery?
Y connection Solder?
Starter rebuild?

Your help is appreciated.

Tom

First take the battery out and have it load tested.......it could be a little bit weak.

In addition to a battery load test also measure the R/R output.
It should be between 14 & 15v at 5000 r.p.m.

If below that start by cleaning the earth points then re-test.

Back