CBR tail light, LED's, diodes, oh my

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mundmc

Reaction score
Sorry in advance if this should be in the electrical sub-forum.

After reading many, many posts about LED turn indicators and tail light mods, I noticed a lack of electrical work in installing, say, a CBR or cat eye tail light.

I suppose my question is this: (prelude) I want to have an integrated brake light/ tail light/ directional signal, as I like to run saddle bags, and with my rear turn indicators on a license plate bracket they bounce around enough that the incandescents break. It's a pain. (question) If I get an LED combination tail light/ brake light with turn indicators, AND if I put LED's on the front turn indicators, what hoops do I need to jump through as far as putting a diode on the dashboard light, upgrading the relay, installing resistors, etc.?

There are some great guides on the forum (Miles and MaxMidnight did some great ones), but I can't tell if there is a "best practice" for installing LED's, and I can't tell if that's altered by having rear turn signals integrated with the tail light.

As always, input much appreciated. Everything I know how to do to my motorcycle is solely a result of reading this forum.

Mun

You mean like this one? I bought this from Sean, not sure if he has anymore. the wiring is straight forward. I like the look. I did have to modify the license plate mount a little to get that perfect fit. I just have the bullet type front signals now, but I am considering replacing the incandescent bulbs with the new LED bulbs.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 67
You mean like this one? I bought this from Sean, not sure if he has anymore. the wiring is straight forward. I like the look. I did have to modify the license plate mount a little to get that perfect fit. I just have the bullet type front signals now, but I am considering replacing the incandescent bulbs with the new LED bulbs.

That looks awesome, and it is exactly what I wanna do. Was it as simple as connecting it to the existing wiring (without soldering in resistors or diodes)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks awesome, and it is exactly what I wanna do. Was it as simple as connecting it to the existing wiring (without soldering in resistors or diodes)?

Just wire it up, no calculations required. Modern technology, Ain't it great!:eusa_dance:
That said, I did have to make some spacers to increase the distance between the rear metal sub fender and the back of the tail light to make room for the wires.

Just wire it up, no calculations required. Modern technology, Ain't it great!:eusa_dance:

That said, I did have to make some spacers to increase the distance between the rear metal sub fender and the back of the tail light to make room for the wires.

Thank you, emailed Sean.

Just to follow up, I got one of these guys on Amazon. I wanted LED running/ brake lights, turn signals, and minimal mods. Untrusted merchant, and no reviews. I might have drank a little before ordering it:
44d7060eab63a75185cfb2fd61b2983c.jpg

That said, it replaced the stock very easily. It has one connector that plugs into one of the sockets, giving it brake/ running light functionality (as well as a ground). The other two wires just connect to the existing brown/green turn indicator wires. No hyperflash or other bizarre behavior notes. Interestingly, it DID come with a relay, two resistors, and mediocre instructions for hyperflashing.

Here's my test run:
https://vimeo.com/190404024

LED's in back, incandescents in front will work. But the diretionals blink crazy fast. I put ballast resistors in parallel on the rear directionals and it's back to normal blink rate. There are other ways to do this. But since I was cutting into the harness in back, I though best to do it back there.
Steve-o

LED's in back, incandescents in front will work. But the diretionals blink crazy fast. I put ballast resistors in parallel on the rear directionals and it's back to normal blink rate. There are other ways to do this. But since I was cutting into the harness in back, I though best to do it back there.
Steve-o

Wait, did you click on my vid? It's not too too fast.

Wait, did you click on my vid? It's not too too fast.

Mine with resistors is much slower, but it was faster than yours before I put the resistors in the circuit. I'm also using the OEM relay. If you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

Latest posts

Back