Led headlight alternatives (daymaker etc)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eatshorts

Reaction score
Hi,
my headlights a bit dim, and Im considering putting in a led insert or changing the whole light.

Has anyone tried fitting something like the HD Daymaker China copy or similar
73390-10A_OB

I was thinking of bying an EMGO 7inch lamp kit and a Chinese copy like in the link. Has anyone done something like that.

Or even better, is there a direct fit insert for the original VMAX headlight.

Check the output of your charging system... There is a plethora of information on testing, and modifying the Gen1 charging system, if needed. Think about the MOSFET voltage regulator modification if needed. Check the 3 wire plug from stator to regulator.. Lots of these go bad, causing problems. If you are getting good voltage to battery from regulator, 13.6 to 14.5, consider the fact that there may be a few connections that may be going bad. Any voltage drop will have a negative effect on your headlight. The best thing I did for my '85 was to install headlight relays. This feeds full battery voltage to bulb, and completely loses the stock harness from powering light.

I have an '85. Always crappy charging, and mediocre lights..
1. Put in MOSFET Regulator, wiring directly to battery and removed the original corroded plug. I used PosiLock connectors to the 3 wires.
2. Installed headlight relays from Eastern Beaver. EB's website sells presided kits or parts to make up your own harness, which I did.

Regulator was about $30.. Regulator connectors were about another $22.. EB relays and etc parts were about $25, or about $60 for plug and play prebuilt kit..

Total cost for me was less than $75.00. Add about $40.00 for prebuilt relay harness.

How'd it work?

14.4 volts from Idle to redline. Headlight ( which has a stock H4 bulb) is insanely crazy bright.

If you are charging well, you only need to do the relays. If you buy a wired up kit, should take an hour to install. Building your own harness takes a couple hours more, but saves you some bread. Figure a couple hours to do the regulator at most..

Trust me. You will be amazed.

(If there is any question on your charging voltage now, be sure to check AC output of your stator..)

We are all willing to help and answer questions. Welcome!

I measured the battery at charging, I will try again at the bulb connectors with load to see if there's any bad connection. The headlight looks a bit matted though, so I think I will need a new insert anyway. That's why I was thinking of one of these led upgrades.
They use them on jeeps, where they are a huge upgrade from h4.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/usmcdoc/lights/

I just read the pirates4x4 article, this could have earned the author a payday at any offroading magazine! Very well done, and considering it was by a 'lay person,' i.e., not an electrical engineer (I'm married to one, and have another as our daughter) or a lighting engineer, the content was very well presented, and the method of testing was well-conceived and executed. He also has a good sense of humor. Anyway, an impressive amount of very useful content for someone looking to improve their lighting.

He does make the same observation that Bill Seward and others, including myself, have made on the forum, install relays and run power directly from the battery to the relay (don't forget to fuse it as close as possible to the battery connection! Very important if you don't want to burn out your wire loom or start an electrical fire, and lose the entire bike!)

To me, it looks like the HID Projector was the best product he tested, though the Rebel setup was a good 'bang-for-the-buck.' He chose another in 1st, but that was my choice.

I did have an issue w/some of the pics not loading, but I read the content, so the loss of pics was only a big deal if you are a 'visual learner.'

My suggestion is to forget the stock 5-3/4" bucket, upgrade to the EMGO 7" as you suggested and start from there. I think you will be much happier in the end. Think of the light bucket as a schooner of beer-which would you prefer to consume, paying the same price, and the quality of product is the same?

I posted my 7" EMGO install including what I consider to be the best replacement mounting ears, search for it under my name, and EMGO as subject.

Thanks for the post, anyone considering a light upgrade will be much better prepared to make an informed description after reading this.

I'll have a go at the original light and measure the insert lugs etc. If i can find a projection based insert, ie domed leds or hids, that fit. It would be better. They don't rely on a reflector, so the small size shouldn't affect light output or distribution.

Saving the electrical until i get it stored in a warm garage for winter sometime next week.

I'll put up some pics if i find something that fits. If not going with the EMGO.

I have installed a 2800 lumen LED and would say that it is better than the stock bulb. I found one on eBay that has a heat sink and no fan. Be careful if you go that route as the lumens are usually stated against high beam. In the case of my LED bulb, it has two elements. One burns for low beam, both burn for high beam.

At night, low beam is better than original - but still leaves me wanting more - especially further out...

The high beam is great.

The other good news is that I run high beam during the day and know that I am very visible - with lower amps being drawn than with a stock bulb. This was the main reason I switched in the first place.

My setup will likely stay for a year or two - until the mod monkey whispers about a day maker being better...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a complete 5 3/4 daymaker LED and found that it was NOT a direct replacement to the original lens. The bucket will not fit the needed depth and the original lens has mounting tabs for the beam adjustment screws that need to be moved over.

Point is that fitting a daymaker (or knockoff) requires some fabrication.

If anyone is looking for a daymaker and a used VMax lens with the original retaining ring, let me know. I bought both as prep to install a daymaker, before I picked up my FJR.

Hi,
my headlights a bit dim, and Im considering putting in a led insert or changing the whole light.

Has anyone tried fitting something like the HD Daymaker China copy or similar
73390-10A_OB

I was thinking of bying an EMGO 7inch lamp kit and a Chinese copy like in the link. Has anyone done something like that.

Or even better, is there a direct fit insert for the original VMAX headlight.

BlaxMax put me onto this replacement and I have used it about a month with no issues. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UX5WRBM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It is on sale now for less than $20 on Amazon. It was plug and play with no mods to the headlight bucket. Much much brighter than the stock lamp.

BlaxMax put me onto this replacement and I have used it about a month with no issues. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UX5WRBM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It is on sale now for less than $20 on Amazon. It was plug and play with no mods to the headlight bucket. Much much brighter than the stock lamp.

That looks pretty decent. Is there any problem with it splashing light everywhere, sort of like when you install an HID element into a light designed for Halogens?
It looks like a pretty decent way to get a lot of light and spare the charging system but I dont want to be blinding oncoming drivers.

Pretty good beam focus?

Yes it is pretty focused. I was kind of expecting oncoming traffic to be flashing there high beams at me but haven't had a one on the 4 night rides I have been on since I installed it. Be aware it is easy to invert the lamp during installation but just pay attention to the detail of which side is up. It's a 5 minute install!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes it is pretty focused. I was kind of expecting oncoming traffic to be flashing there high beams at me but haven't had a one on the 4 night rides I have been on since I installed it. Be aware it is easy to invert the lamp during installation but just pay attention to the detail of which side is up. It's a 5 minute install!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very nice, I think I'll give it a try. I see a pair of them, maybe I'll toss one into the Venture at the same time.

Trucklite make a very similar unit, cost a small fortune though!

I only use the high beam in the daytime unless I've got the road to myself. My low beam is more concentrated too. At night it blinds on coming traffic. 100 watt low beam from Sean, duel relay harness from Digisync. It's more than I ever wanted. Night driving is no longer a hassle for me.
Steve-o

In my opinion, headlight relays running the bulbs right off the battery are the only way to go. Getting maximum voltage to the bulbs, without running the power through the whole harness makes an amazing difference. Adding in the higher voltage that a direct hookup to battery MOSFET or (preferably) Series regulator supplies is another plus. I've got a stock H-4 bulb in my Max, aftermarket high output stator wired directly to a SH775 series regulator, output directly to battery, through a fuse. Using Eastern Beaver relays, homemade harness. I'll put this setup up against any fancy LED or HID setup. We ought to have a headlight shootout at Thunder next year. I'll come up with an appropriate trophy, if there is any interest..

In my opinion, headlight relays running the bulbs right off the battery are the only way to go. Getting maximum voltage to the bulbs, without running the power through the whole harness makes an amazing difference. Adding in the higher voltage that a direct hookup to battery MOSFET or (preferably) Series regulator supplies is another plus. I've got a stock H-4 bulb in my Max, aftermarket high output stator wired directly to a SH775 series regulator, output directly to battery, through a fuse. Using Eastern Beaver relays, homemade harness. I'll put this setup up against any fancy LED or HID setup. We ought to have a headlight shootout at Thunder next year. I'll come up with an appropriate trophy, if there is any interest..
I will be mounting this one for Thunder! :ummm:

Attachments

• bat light.jpg
    bat light.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 18
And what kind of trophy would you like? I think a 50 mega volt Tesla Coil would be appropriate!

Back