Cobra slash cut slipons

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlb7569

Reaction score
Hello, has anyone ever tried to drill out the baffles on these? Everyone says that they rob the vmax of power. Can someone please let me know what they have done to there's and what kind of sound they have with them drilled out? Please let me know. Thanks, Jamie.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Hello, has anyone ever tried to drill out the baffles on these? Everyone says that they rob the vmax of power. Can someone please let me know what they have done to there's and what kind of sound they have with them drilled out? Please let me know. Thanks, Jamie.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I had a set, love the appearance, but yes, they do rob the bike of power - 10% less or so.

The reason that the Cobra's lose power isn't the baffles, it's the fact that there is no crossover between sides. The crossover is needed to promote exhaust scavenging . Scavenging is (simplified) where the exhaust pulse from combustion is used to 'pull' the following one along. This allows a bit more mixture in the combustion chamber than without scavenging, and at least a bit more power.

Without the crossover pipe (the stock Max has that big ol' box under it), the left pulse can't help the right pulse and vice-versa.

UFO made some quad muffler systems with better than stock power, but they don't quite have the look. Apparently this is an area where you can't have your Kate and Edith too.

I had Cobra slip on when i brought my 1998
The where already drilled, at my ears; sound was poor as many kind of muffler driled out are also (always at my taste !!)

So i pluged them back with stainless 5/16 flat washer and bolt untill i lost one the road,

Then i changed for Delkevic wich are more powerfull and good sound

Attachments

• pipe 1.jpg
    pipe 1.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 45
  • pipe 3.jpg
    pipe 3.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 46
  • pipe 2.jpg
    pipe 2.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 52
I have Cobra slip-ons that I got from a forum member. I know they rob power (and they do) but I like the look and the sound. Different stokes for different folks.

I have had my Delkevics for a couple years now and think they are great. The baffles came out the first day, and never went back in. Love the looks and sound!

I have Cobra slip-ons That came with the bike. I put the stock pipes on for a while and then went back to the Cobra's. I think they get a bad rap. I like them.
If I had an extra 500-1000 I might consider changing the others. I like the look and like the sound.

...I like the look and the sound. Different stokes for different folks.

Very true. I like my Cobras. But I have 2 sets of pipes that I frequently switch back and forth depending on my mood. I have Cobras and custom (LOUD) pipes.

I was told by a senior member here (I think Sean) that the main problem with modifying carbs and exhaust is that the stock down pipes are restrictive. I was considering larger jets in my carb, but was convinced doing so would give no gain as the exhaust is restricted out of the head.

Delkevic, Supertrapps, kerker... All good. You pick the sound you want, but don't expect any real power gain without a full system.

Ive drilled mine out using a 5/16 drill. 0 improvement on power but way better sounding. 10 holes in each slip on.

Latest posts

Back