Back from Cycle-istiC vacation/roadtrip

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnMax/Magniac

Reaction score
It was a great trip, with only 2 minor detractions on the same day, a loose spark plug and a tremendous thunderstorm. I decided to take the Magna rather than the VMax, since it is a bit more comfortable for long distances. We started out going East across Nevada's hwy 50 (loneliest road in America) and made a pic stop at the famous "shoe tree" where shoes have been tied together and thrown into the tree. For some reason, people do this across the country in several locations.
We spent the night in Ely, NV, and next morning we rode through Great Basin Nat'l Park, to Wheeler Peak. We outran the rain across Utah, until the last 20 miles or so to Vernal, where we spent the second night.

Next morning the skies were clear, so we headed North through Flaming Gorge, to Rock Springs, WY. As we were entering town, my engine started cutting out at low speeds and had almost no power to accelerate. I thought I could hear an exhaust leak on the right side. It turned out the #3 spark plug was loose, so we stopped at Rock Springs Honda/Toyota for repairs. The plugs were a couple of years old, so we had all 4 replaced, and since the radiator had to be moved to access the fronts, I had them replace the coolant as well. They were quick and professional, very helpful and friendly. I highly recommend them to anyone passing through the area and needing any parts or maintenance.

As we were preparing to leave, there was a huge thunderclap and the skies opened up. Within minutes the streets were rivers, so we decided to cut our day short and spend the night in Rock Springs.

The next day we rode diagonally toward the Northeast through Wyoming and across the Southern portion of the Bighorn Mountains to spend the night in Gillette, and next morning to Rapid City, SD. We spent a couple of days in SD, seeing Mt Rushmore and the Crazy Horse monument under construction. We rode East to the Badlands and back West to Devils Tower in Wy, then on over the Northern portion of the Bighorn Mtns, then up to Billings, MT.

From Billings we went Northwest through Great Falls to spend the night in Browning before taking the Going To The Sun road through Glacier Park, and south to Missoula for that night. Out of Missoula on hwy 12 West through Idaho, I waved a big "thumbs up" to Val as we passed a yellow diamond-shaped hwy sign with that squiggly arrow saying "next 99 miles". What a wonderful road!

We overnighted in McCall, ID, which is a beautiful little town, although a bit "touristy", at the south end of Payette Lake. The last 2 days were actually a bit boring, long empty roads and us having the "horse headed back to the barn" syndrome. We got home late Friday PM, and spent Saturday catching up with things at home, getting ready for Monday morning and business as usual. All in all, it was a great adventure, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Pics: Shoe Tree, Wheeler Peak, Flaming Gorge

Attachments

• ShoeTree.JPG
    ShoeTree.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 17
  • WheelerPeak.JPG
    WheelerPeak.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 17
  • FlamingGorge.JPG
    FlamingGorge.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Pics: Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Devils Tower (sorry, don't know how to rotate it)

Attachments

• MtRushmore.JPG
    MtRushmore.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 17
  • CrazyHorse.JPG
    CrazyHorse.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 19
  • DevilsTower.JPG
    DevilsTower.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 17
Pics: Going to Sun Rd, Bison, Burro

Attachments

• GoingToSunRd.JPG
    GoingToSunRd.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Bison.JPG
    Bison.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Burro.JPG
    Burro.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 21
Pics: Prairie Dog, Antelope, Bighorn Sheep

Attachments

• PrairieDog.JPG
    PrairieDog.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 15
  • Antelope.JPG
    Antelope.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 14
  • BigHorn.JPG
    BigHorn.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 14
Enjoying the pictures. That's home to me, Wyoming. If you rode over the big horns and were on 14a, you drove though my small home town. One stop light in town to race from. Not sure how long before I get back, I was there in 08, my bike didn't like the going from being at sea level to up in the mountains.

Enjoying the pictures. That's home to me, Wyoming. If you rode over the big horns and were on 14a, you drove though my small home town. One stop light in town to race from. Not sure how long before I get back, I was there in 08, my bike didn't like the going from being at sea level to up in the mountains.

Cody? Garland? Lovell? I did that run in June, '08. Still lots of snow. We were lucky - they had just opened the pass the week before. Absolutely GREAT biking territory.
Yellowstone? not so much. Lots to see, but too many f_ _king tourists. I'm not big on crowds.
Being a history buff, I think the Little Big Horn battle site was the highlight for me, when I was in that area. Custer got what he deserved. Hope to make it out that way again sometime.
Cheers!

Attachments

• Thru the Bighorn Pass.jpg
    Thru the Bighorn Pass.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 14
Lovell, and I used to hate tourists- best time to travel thru the park was 5-8am. And I have seen snow storms In June and August. I worked out of a small town south of Jackson in the summers they had the nation low last week of 34*, used to freeze my ass of riding to work In The mornings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back