Merle Haggard

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He was one of a dwindling group of genuine country artists. He leaves a void that cant be filled by his younger counterparts, most of whom have a heavy pop/crossover influence. Maybe hes playing with Johnny now. Sad day, he will be missed.

And Waylon......RIP.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

He was one of a dwindling group of genuine country artists. He leaves a void that cant be filled by his younger counterparts, most of whom have a heavy pop/crossover influence. Maybe hes playing with Johnny now. Sad day, he will be missed.

+1. One of those voices that was instantly recognizable.
Being a product of the Sixties, I was heavy into long hair, beads and sandals.
Merle shamed me out of all of that.
No more long hair or beads, and manly leather boots when on my bike.
That is, till I get home. Then the sandals go on.
Peace&Love!
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=...FQHFwE&usg=AFQjCNFktpHiSwiXf5jTrQVSjumNesrI0Q

+1. One of those voices that was instantly recognizable.
Being a product of the Sixties, I was heavy into long hair, beads and sandals.
Merle shamed me out of all of that.
No more long hair or beads, and manly leather boots when on my bike.
That is, till I get home. Then the sandals go on.
Peace&Love!
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=...FQHFwE&usg=AFQjCNFktpHiSwiXf5jTrQVSjumNesrI0Q
Funny you mention that song Miles. I will say my dear old dad's favorite country singer but he enjoyed the pickers even more (J. Reed, R. Clark, G Campbell, Roy Nichols and Chet.
I was 17 long hair spent my hard earned $ to drive to the next town to see him in concert. 2nd song he sings is "okie from muskogee" and changes the words. Sorry------
"We don't smoke marijuana like the Goddamn Fuckin' Hippies here in Odessa Midland do".
The concert at ector co. coliseum almost cleared out. The were 10,000+ people bought tickets and a few hundred stayed.The arena seats 5,000 and 5,000 more were standing up. I think he played to 138 people.
Headline's in the next days paper were pretty embarrassing to say the least.
He was never invited back.:confused2:
Not too many know the story of his prison life but he was invited to escape in a desk built with 2 hiding places built for an official of California. He decided that night not to go and "Rabbit" went by himself, shot a police officer and came back to San Quentin to be executed.

Funny you mention that song Miles. I will say my dear old dad's favorite country singer but he enjoyed the pickers even more (J. Reed, R. Clark, G Campbell, Roy Nichols and Chet.
I was 17 long hair spent my hard earned $ to drive to the next town to see him in concert. 2nd song he sings is "okie from muskogee" and changes the words. Sorry------
"We don't smoke marijuana like the Goddamn Fuckin' Hippies here in Odessa Midland do".
The concert at ector co. coliseum almost cleared out. The were 10,000+ people bought tickets and a few hundred stayed.The arena seats 5,000 and 5,000 more were standing up. I think he played to 138 people.
Headline's in the next days paper were pretty embarrassing to say the least.
He was never invited back.:confused2:
Not too many know the story of his prison life but he was invited to escape in a desk built with 2 hiding places built for an official of California. He decided that night not to go and "Rabbit" went by himself, shot a police officer and came back to San Quentin to be executed.

Interesting!
The song reportedly came about as their tour bus was passing the sign for Muskogee, on their way to a concert venue. The entire band, including Merle, was stoned.
The bass player remarked "I wonder if they smoke marijuana in Muskogee?"
Born was the first line of the song. The rest is history.
Cheers!

Music from a simpler time.....

Whenever someone in country music dies, and they are from the 60's/70's (you know....part of the outlaw movement)...I do wonder whose gonna fill their shoes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN_8zLuimsA

Like quality folk music it may be an era gone by. On the upside we have many years of great music recorded. Most of the music I listen to is 50s -70s but some later to. I made sure my kids were exposed to real music and they often request I play music of long deceased artists. My son went to school with a Jerry Garcia shirt and nobody knew who it was. Point being Merle and other great artists live on through the timeless music they leave us with as long as we dont forget. It was a time when talent was a prerequisite to fame, a concept foreign to many young folks.

Like quality folk music it may be an era gone by. On the upside we have many years of great music recorded. Most of the music I listen to is 50s -70s but some later to. I made sure my kids were exposed to real music and they often request I play music of long deceased artists. My son went to school with a Jerry Garcia shirt and nobody knew who it was. Point being Merle and other great artists live on through the timeless music they leave us with as long as we dont forget. It was a time when talent was a prerequisite to fame, a concept foreign to many young folks.
Appreciated the story Casey, I myself grew up in a family of music with 3 boys and 3 girls all who play musical instruments professionally. Mother from Wink Texas played with and graduated high school with Roy Orbison. Town of 1000 today. 300 in the '50's.Roy proposed to her and she said no. I always believed she was the Pretty Woman he was singing about because I got to live with her for 17 years.

Im not much of a country fan (prefer industrial and metal) but i do appreciate the greats! Sad to see him go, but hes earned his rest and left a great mark on music!

Appreciated the story Casey, I myself grew up in a family of music with 3 boys and 3 girls all who play musical instruments professionally. Mother from Wink Texas played with and graduated high school with Roy Orbison. Town of 1000 today. 300 in the '50's.Roy proposed to her and she said no. I always believed she was the Pretty Woman he was singing about because I got to live with her for 17 years.

Cool story & she might be the pretty women he sang about . I love country & like most of the old country. A friend of mines son in Texas is trying to carry on the old Country. I love listening to him he reminds me of some of the older country. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRgk_d0zB4Q

Great story blaxmax! God, I loved that song! Still do!

Latest posts

Back