Carb or Fuel Pump

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mineral oil with food coloring. The viscosity will dampen the pulsations.

Tried it, either the diameter of the hoses was too large, or my Carb are WAY out of sync. 3 and 4 nearly pulled the oil into them before I killed the bike. Guess I will have to buy a Carb Sync Tool and go from there.

Road tonight, RPM were changing without adjust either the idle speed control, choke or throttle. Varying from 1100 up to 2800. Seemingly on their own. Still sputtering and coughing some. After warm up, let the bike idle while I spoke with a friend and it died. On trying to crank it up, after a moments hesitation it turned over. No clicking like the a battery was dead, just nothing on hitting the starter.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Tried it, either the diameter of the hoses was too large, or my Carb are WAY out of sync. 3 and 4 nearly pulled the oil into them before I killed the bike. Guess I will have to buy a Carb Sync Tool and go from there.

Road tonight, RPM were changing without adjust either the idle speed control, choke or throttle. Varying from 1100 up to 2800. Seemingly on their own. Still sputtering and coughing some. After warm up, let the bike idle while I spoke with a friend and it died. On trying to crank it up, after a moments hesitation it turned over. No clicking like the a battery was dead, just nothing on hitting the starter.

Any thoughts?

http://www.carbtune.com/

Did you put a restrictor in each hose, close to where it attaches to the manifold? If not, I would try that. You can make one out of many things.

Have you check the carb butterflies to see if the are close to one another? I.E. bench synch?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

In retrospect, I did not so that with the restrictors. Do I simply attach them and put hose on the opposite side side going to the carb?

You can just stick it in the hose about 6" from the end that attaches to the manifold. Some guys have used a bolt. Some have used a piece of coax with the center conductor removed. I'm sure there are plenty of options. Just make sure whatever you use can't get sucked into the manifold.

I would pull the air box and check synch with feeler gauges or small drill bit. You should be able to get it close before you ever hook up the synch tool.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sorry for the delay in response, uncle sam called for training.

I did a bench sink thanks to some advice from mabdcm, and then followed up with a home made carb sync. Bikes is running great now with no coughing or any issues.

Had a bit of a ping when I started it up after being gone, but I am relating that to using 87 octane gas for the first time.

Any insight as to the best octane for the bike?

Nick?

Sorry for the delay in response, uncle sam called for training.

I did a bench sink thanks to some advice from mabdcm, and then followed up with a home made carb sync. Bikes is running great now with no coughing or any issues.

Had a bit of a ping when I started it up after being gone, but I am relating that to using 87 octane gas for the first time.

Any insight as to the best octane for the bike?

Nick?

The bike is designed for 87 octane. Chances are it was something else that you heard. Normally you wont hear detonation (or pinging) except under hard acceleration.

Sorry to resurrect this topic, AGAIN.

Sync'd the carbs with a DIY manometer and the bike seemed to be running beautifully. Left for training, again, and came back to it sputtering more now than it did prior to sync'ing it.

Also, over the past year she has shut off on me a few times. Never while riding, always at idle. If I up the RPMs she is fine, but otherwise she will die on me and have a momentary challenge turning over. Hit the starter, wait a second, she starts right back up.

Any insight?

Latest posts

Back