Plugs and Heat

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Max2012

Reaction score
Guys.
have you seen were 1 plug looks to be extremely hot and melting the stock rubber boot and the others are fine?

#2 seems to be melting the boot.
burning rubber.jpg

#1,3 and 4 are fine.
Regular rubber.jpg

Come next spring, I have to get a temp reading on #2.

Buy a new plug. They can be bad brand-new. I learned that w/a KZ1000 that had a miss after I changed plugs. I thought it might have been the boot, so I changed that. Nope! I trimmed back the high-tension lead. Nope, either. I switched coils. Nope. My friend the mcy mechanic said, "did you try a new plug?" No, I hadn't, but that was a lesson learned. Even a new plug can be defective. Vexing, not common, but it can happen.

Hi Medic,
That plug is actually from the 2nd full set installed.. It's still heating up..

Just throwing thoughts at the wall.

Is the plug itself firing way too hot or is that cylinder way too lean. Lean is hot.

What would may the plug burn physically hotter? Bad plug. Bad coil. You've changed plugs. Have you swapped coils to see if the problem remains on that cylinder?

What are the chances that one cylinder is getting way more air than the others causing it to go lean? I'd think slim. What are the chances one cylinder is getting way less fuel than the others. Not great but I'd say more likely than it getting more air.

I'd empty that float chamber into a glass jar. Mark the fuel level. Do another cylinder and compare. If the float levels are off maybe there is a restriction in one of the Tees on the top of the carbs. If float levels are similar, I'd take em apart and have a look. Float level could be way off. One of the jets misplaced/loose/gone....

Hard to say but that's about all I can think of right now.

Good idea with the coil change.. have not tried that because its a PITA to get to the fronts.
Will check the floats again.
4 years ago, I put new rubbers all around. Boots, Sliders, V-boost etc.. Bike pulls nice and strong.. Idle's well. No hiccups at all.

This summer, I had the gurus at Thunder check the sync.
They said it was the easiest one they had all day..

Come spring time, God willing, I'll check the temps on all 4..
I have to pick up a laser temp gun. Harbor Freight, here I come..

Good idea with the coil change.. have not tried that because its a PITA to get to the fronts.
4 years ago, I put new rubbers all around. Boots, Sliders, V-boost etc.. Bike pulls nice and strong.. Idle's well. No hiccups at all.

Always going in there for one thing or another. I just got a 50' air hose auto-retract reel I mounted above my workbench. I use it alot now from blowing-out the shop floor to stretching it outside to air tires in the driveway. It was $54 on sale over Thanksgiving. The temperature display tool will keep you from burning yourself. It beats trying to feel a header pipe. I use the 'spray water on it' trick as I don't yet have an infrared remote probe like you're getting

The laser temp gun works well, and I used mine to help set the carbs. I would aim it at the exhaust about an inch coming out of the heads, and used that to "balance" the carbs. I got the temps within 50-100 degrees of each other while the bike was idling. I do have a kerker 4-1, the stock pipes are double walled, so i dont know how well that would work with my method.

I use a Laser to check balance of Temp. Use a Morgan Carb Tune. Run bike at 3,000 RPM with fans on the Radiator to Sync (I don't care where the Idle is ) Keep Carbs clean with Sta-Bil Red and Non Ethanol 91 Octane. Coils and Wires can go bad.
All considered the bikes have run perfect for many years.

Oh: Never Seize on threads.

Good Luck.

Got a 25% off coupon email from Harbor Freight today. Heading there tomorrow.:biglaugh:

Thanks guys..

!!!! lol !!! :rofl_200:

You may be right!!!

Back