Long Distance Back Pain Fix?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conman

Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions for how to alleviate upper back pain on long (+2hr) trips? I tend to get burning pain in my lats the worst, with some pain between my shoulders, but definitely the worst in the lats, and usually only on one side or the other for some reason. It happens on both the Vmax and the Stratoliner (which has a full windshield so I'm not fighting wind much). Right now it's the only thing preventing me from taking looooong trips.

I'm looking for something I can apply to myself as the rider (such as a back brace) first before jumping into new handlebars and backrests and stuff for the bikes, especially since I like the current setups for short distance. I'm young, I use the gym quite frequently and stretch and eat healthy and all that fun stuff and I only get this pain from long rides.

Any suggestions or things that have worked for you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Connor

It might not hurt to have a conversation with your Dr. Upper back pain after a couple hours in the saddle seems unusual for a young guy in decent shape.

It might not hurt to have a conversation with your Dr. Upper back pain after a couple hours in the saddle seems unusual for a young guy in decent shape.
That'll be the last resort... I've been in for lower back pain when I wrestled, but that has subsided and the pain from riding is totally unique. Luckily it's always gone by the end of the day.

It could depend on the bars that you are using. There is a bar riser thats available, to move the bars back 1-2 inches, so you wont be leaned forward as much.

I've got some 1" risers and sean's "Daytona bend" bars you can try. With the stock low cowl you really are dealing a lot more wind. The way the stock bars bend, the seat/bar/peg triangle, and your lifting could have you subconsciously pulling down and back on the bars all the time.
The quest is a great helmet for the max seating position, but you really are holding on and pushing your head into the wind even though the blast is off your chest. I just took mine out with the low cowl for the first time in a long time about a week ago, and remembered in about an hour how much wind there really is at highway speeds. I did a 4k mile trip on my max a couple years ago using a givi airflow screen, and traveled with Brian (redbone) on his - and me on my super tenere- this past summer. He used a really good looking givi tall windshield. Those really get the air actually up and over your head.

On the strat, you are probably dealing with a low pressure zone actually pulling your head forward as the wind swirls over the screen. Then your neck muscles are working all the time to keep from tipping forward, but you don't really feel it until you get off.

I'd put a laminar lip from mra on the strat, and try one of the touring screens on the max. See if a more aggressively leaned forward seating position doesn't help on the max, too.

could have you subconsciously pulling down and back on the bars all the time

That's what I think is my biggest issue, but I don't see how anything but leaning further forward could possibly help it.

On the strat I try to sit upright and feel almost no wind. I think no matter what I pull down slightly on the bars, not so much pulling back.

Would handlebars be the next go-to? I REALLY doubt it's the wind. The pain feels exactly the same on both bikes and did even on the old 550 maxim.

Take a ride and try to flap your elbows a but every minute. You'll find the stress areas. Lower bars or a different sweep will let you put a little more pressure on your hands and release your back muscles,too.

I change my riding position often. Having short legs, my feet on the rear pegs is comfortable leaning forward. One inch risers and drag bars are just right for me. I don't lean back much. I sit straight up to change positions on long rides too.
Steve-o

I wear the Qwest helmet and it's great. I use a Givi Airstars 123 windshield and the air hits me in the chin of the helmet.
On a awesome trip to Newfoundland this year (W/ Dave) I used a Givi touring windshield (20" tall 20" wide) and it was great for all except when it was warm. When I first got my Vmax I found the bars too narrow and uncomfortable so I went to wider bars (31.5" wide) from the stocks 27.5" wide. The Flanders drag bars I installed had a slight pull back but were much straighter so they pulled my upper body forward a little bit. I can ride 2-400 miles a day and not have issues but add several days or weeks in a row is a different story altogether!

Thanks for all the pointers. I'm gonna try a $30 posture brace for my upper back first, then it'll be a drivers backrest, and if that still doesn't work I'll fool with the handlebars.

Ask around for loaner parts here. My offer is always open. I'm about to go back to my Carmichael bend pro taper bars.

Ask around for loaner parts here. My offer is always open. I'm about to go back to my Carmichael bend pro taper bars.

I appreciate it... I might take you up on it in a few months. Looking at 18 deg here today haha.

Latest posts

Back