Hypothetical Question: If You Were A Drifter...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronx

Reaction score
Imagine yourself as a drifter on a motorcycle. No job you have to get back to, no home you call your own. A wanderer of the world on two wheels. Taking the roads less traveled, eating in the hole in the walls rather than the corporate chains, spending more nights sleeping under the stars than under a roof. No schedule, no itinerary, you can take as much time as you wanted to get where you wanted to go. You could do 100 miles a day or a 1000 miles a day. Whichever you prefer. What motorcycle would use choose for your travels? Both from a practical standpoint and from a romanticized standpoint.

What motorcycle would use choose for your travels? Both from a practical standpoint and from a romanticized standpoint.

I'm not sure if you were combining practical and romanticized........it's 2 different bikes for me.

Practical:
2016-Honda-Gold-wing.jpg

Romanticized:
IMG_20170201_130234.jpg
I love this bike.

Practical, my 89 Venture unless budget allows for a K1600GT OR a GS1200ADV
Romanticized. A bobbed 69 Bonneville or some cool retro bobber way off to the left of the twin.

This is sort of what I do when I tour, other than the part about having to return home at some point.

I've always been partial to the older valkyrie

url

I'd probably lean towards an adventure touring rig.
Maybe something like the BMW S1000XR.
Seems like a good bike to ride down into Central/South America and explore.
Maybe catch a boat to a different continent and see where I end up?

Perhaps if you're 22 y.o., you can ride a hardtail bobber, anyone still riding into their 40's and beyond is going to want some suspension comfort. Your prostate will demand it. Anyone with varicose veins of the 'elimination portal' will be challenged to even ride a motorcycle of any sort, much-less a hardtail. Those of you who are old-enough, or afflicted with either or both of these issues will understand, those of you who are 'callow youth' without first-hand knowledge of these afflictions only need to wait, as this type of stuff is in your future, guaranteed, if you live long-enough.

The Kawasaki KLR 650 single has a long history of production, and will probably be like the cucarachas, still around after The Big One happens.
17_KL650E_RD1_RS_OR.png
17_KL650E_RD1_RS_OR.png

The easy choice I think is some sort of BMW adventure bike, something like a single or twin mid-size for maneuverability and ease of handling, and the full-tilt measure of a GS1200 for the bigger people.
F700GS
F800GS
F800GS Adventure
R nineT Scrambler
R1200GS
R1200GS Adventure

Perhaps if you're 22 y.o., you can ride a hardtail bobber, anyone still riding into their 40's and beyond is going to want some suspension comfort. Your prostate will demand it. Anyone with varicose veins of the 'elimination portal' will be challenged to even ride a motorcycle of any sort, much-less a hardtail. Those of you who are old-enough, or afflicted with either or both of these issues will understand, those of you who are 'callow youth' without first-hand knowledge of these afflictions only need to wait, as this type of stuff is in your future, guaranteed, if you live long-enough.

The Kawasaki KLR 650 single has a long history of production, and will probably be like the cucarachas, still around after The Big One happens.
17_KL650E_RD1_RS_OR.png
17_KL650E_RD1_RS_OR.png

The easy choice I think is some sort of BMW adventure bike, something like a single or twin mid-size for maneuverability and ease of handling, and the full-tilt measure of a GS1200 for the bigger people.
F700GS
F800GS
F800GS Adventure
R nineT Scrambler
R1200GS
R1200GS Adventure

Yup, my hardtail days are overwith. I toured the KLR650 for a couple years. A fine machine with a notable lack of power and high oil consumption being the only strong downsides. There is a 685 kit that addresses both issues to some degree but all in all a super machine for just about any purpose. I think the big BMW GS would be a perfect ADV bike to "live" out of if unpaved roads are even remotely possible. I think you can buy 4 KLRs for the price of one fully loaded GS though. The only time my 08 KLR felt out of it's element was on long stretches of merciless highways struggling to keep up with minivans and Corollas.

Riding a bike bound to the pavement really hinders your "under the stars" overnight accommodations. The KLR is on the heavy and outdated side for a 650 but I would much rather that for the tight technical trails than a full on GS1200.

EDIT, not sure why I always tend to put the GS at the wrong end, maybe that dyslexia haha.

I'd probably lean towards an adventure touring rig.
Maybe something like the BMW S1000XR.
Seems like a good bike to ride down into Central/South America and explore.
Maybe catch a boat to a different continent and see where I end up?

My choice too Mike....and I'm lucky enough to already own one.

Attachments

• 002 (2).jpg
    002 (2).jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 37
Since my idea of aimless wandering is limited to actual roads, probably a Dyna Lowrider or something similar.

I think the davesax36 Tenere is a good combination of over the road capability and less-bulk than the 1200GS BMW for instance. The external frame members make sure your bodywork has a reasonable expectation of surviving a low-speed get-off and possibly more.

Had an old triumph cool but you won't be riding whenever you want cus it will be in the garage! Have to go with the BMW for serious reliability though my imagination requires me to have a warm bed being a Brit where it rains every other day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it would be cool if there was a US manufacturer making a bike like the Tenere or the BMW GS models.

I think Indian could come-up with something for their smaller Scout.

I think it would be cool if there was a US manufacturer making a bike like the Tenere or the BMW GS models.

I would go for a custom vmax.bigger tank,supercharger and loud pipes. Like a 2 wheels mad max version

It'd be on my 1200 Sportster, Rubber Mount Engine and 60 MPG. It's pretty well modified and runs fast (For A Harley) to well over 100 Mph. I'd do 100 miles or so a day and stop at free scenic sites. There's a lot to see in the USA. Then Came Bronson Style.

Back