'85 Just in from the coast

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice set up BB! Coming into the dangerous time pretty soon here.....warm days....cold nights = moisture & ice on all heavy metal parts....but you got that well in hand. :clapping:
That fool can't even buy a tarp!?!?!

Then there are guys like me!
I have a tarp over the whole trailer, properly secured, with another sheet of foil backed 4x8 Styrofoam 1" thick over a raised foam pieces glued together to lift the styro above the roof vent that is left open a couple of inches so the condensation can escape to under the styro. It has worked pretty good so far with no rust forming. I don't keep it blazing hot in there either but it never goes below 40 degrees from what I can tell. The heat blows up onto the engine then can escape from the back of the foam cocoon but the air only moves slow probably not enough to blow out a candle and the blankets seem to hold the heat in pretty good.

It is a makeshift setup for sure and I would like to have a nice heated garage to work in. Only have 5 more years to pay on the house so I know I'll get one soon enough.

I read the description and sent him a message. It said extended swingarm, so I asked if he wanted to sell it separately.He's apparently using all the other "missing" parts on his '85 The description made it sound like he had a stock one, too. It might actually be worth it to part out.

No airbox, either. I'm sure the carb internals are perfect. :confused2:

There was a storage yard in Pompano Beach FL on the way to work, he advertised a Venture for parts. I looked at it. The carbs were full of water, because it was stored outside, and the airbox was missing. It looked to be complete except for that, and it had the luggage still on it. I told him I'd give him $50 to take it away, and that I was taking a risk at that as-far as anything on the engine being usable, too-bad it was a 1200 & not a 1300. He turned me down. I used to drive by there and be able to see it sitting unbought, unloved...

The yard was getting cleared-out, and I thought about stopping by to pitch him again, but I passed. Shortly the entire yard was cleared-out, and the ramshackle building that was there was demolished. Now it's just a big vacant industrial-zoned parcel of a few acres, awaiting its next use.

That fool can't even buy a tarp!?!?!

Then there are guys like me!
I have a tarp over the whole trailer, properly secured, with another sheet of foil backed 4x8 Styrofoam 1" thick over a raised foam pieces glued together to lift the styro above the roof vent that is left open a couple of inches so the condensation can escape to under the styro. It has worked pretty good so far with no rust forming. I don't keep it blazing hot in there either but it never goes below 40 degrees from what I can tell. The heat blows up onto the engine then can escape from the back of the foam cocoon but the air only moves slow probably not enough to blow out a candle and the blankets seem to hold the heat in pretty good.

It is a makeshift setup for sure and I would like to have a nice heated garage to work in. Only have 5 more years to pay on the house so I know I'll get one soon enough.

Nice BB! I also subscribe to "If it ain't overkilled....it may not be dead'! :biglaugh:

No airbox, either. I'm sure the carb internals are perfect. :confused2:

And from there down into the heads then the bottom end.....love to see a sample of the oil/water mixture in the base! :biglaugh:

And the water/gas mixture in the tank....doesn't look like the duct tape cap held up to the elements very well.

Still, it's a shame to see a nice bike end up like that. :sad2:

There was a storage yard in Pompano Beach FL on the way to work, he advertised a Venture for parts. I looked at it. The carbs were full of water, because it was stored outside, and the airbox was missing. It looked to be complete except for that, and it had the luggage still on it. I told him I'd give him $50 to take it away, and that I was taking a risk at that as-far as anything on the engine being usable, too-bad it was a 1200 & not a 1300. He turned me down. I used to drive by there and be able to see it sitting unbought, unloved...

The yard was getting cleared-out, and I thought about stopping by to pitch him again, but I passed. Shortly the entire yard was cleared-out, and the ramshackle building that was there was demolished. Now it's just a big vacant industrial-zoned parcel of a few acres, awaiting its next use.

Sad ending for such a fine machine....probly went to a breaker or maybe crushed for weight.

Remember the video someone posted of the kids who chained a CB750 (I think it was) up by the front wheel, set the throttle wide open, kicked it in gear and video'd that poor bike just tear itself apart at the end of that chain....that was hard to watch!

They used to do that w/a Japanese bike at Spotnick's Cabbage Patch in Daytona Beach during Bike Week, every year. The other big draw was beefy Harley women engaging in cole slaw wrestling. That's besides the beer drinking and checking out all the bikes, and characters.

Sad ending for such a fine machine....probly went to a breaker or maybe crushed for weight.

Remember the video someone posted of the kids who chained a CB750 (I think it was) up by the front wheel, set the throttle wide open, kicked it in gear and video'd that poor bike just tear itself apart at the end of that chain....that was hard to watch!

No paper (title)? I'd request a shot of the serial # on the engine and VIN on the steering head, run them w/your local PD, and then it's only a $400 bike, maximum, w/no title. To me, anyway.

The rear caliper is off because the durn thing is frozen, and the bike won't roll w/it in-place.:damn angry:

At $800+? Pass!

Front 2 also.

Beautiful bike Danny, congrats!

I have a friend (who is responsible for my love affair with Vmaxs) that is the original owner of an 85' that sits in his garage. He hasn't ridden in in at least 15 years because he has a bad back.

He bought it right after coming home from the dealer show in Las Vegas when Jay Gleason did his famous introduction of the bike.

I've been prodding him every time I see him to cut the bike loose.....but he's not giving in ....yet.

Best of luck with that awesome example.

Thanks Mark! :worthy: You made a heck of a score too! :clapping:

Maybe we'll cross paths this summer....love to hear those flat slides, only sound cooler is a turbo spooling up!

What color is your friends '85? I have seen very few of these dark amethyst ones but it's a really nice color I think.

Thanks Mark! :worthy: You made a heck of a score too! :clapping:

Maybe we'll cross paths this summer....love to hear those flat slides, only sound cooler is a turbo spooling up!

What color is your friends '85? I have seen very few of these dark amethyst ones but it's a really nice color I think.

His is red.....completely stock except for a set of Supertrapp slip-ons. The original exhaust started losing it's packing while it was still under warranty. He put a set of Supertrapps on it then, and he still has the new replacement exhaust that Yamaha sent him in the unopened box.

You're right almost every one that I see is Red.

Look at what some guy near me is asking for his. :surprise:

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/mcy/6009299656.html

His is red.....completely stock except for a set of Supertrapp slip-ons. The original exhaust started losing it's packing while it was still under warranty. He put a set of Supertrapps on it then, and he still has the new replacement exhaust that Yamaha sent him in the unopened box.

You're right almost every one that I see is Red.

Look at what some guy near me is asking for his. :surprise:

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/mcy/6009299656.html

Wow, those 1FK pipes are very difficult to find....NIB?....Impossible to find!!

By Gee, he's not giving that '85 away now is he! Sure is a beauty tho.

The '85 Jon gave me is silver-his '85 is silver.

And the one pictured in the above post is silver also....I'd say silver is the correct one.

Wow, those 1FK pipes are very difficult to find....NIB?....Impossible to find!!

By Gee, he's not giving that '85 away now is he! Sure is a beauty tho.

And the one pictured in the above post is silver also....I'd say silver is the correct one.

Ours are very close to yours in numbers-paint is the same also.

Back