NGK Platinum Spark Plugs?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalbo

Reaction score
I had a plug die on me, so decided to swap them all out. I was intending to replace them will the same NGK DPR8-ea9, but the store was out of stock. Instead the guy recommended an alternative NGK plug which he said was a platinum tip. I can't remember, but I think it was something like DP8-efg. They were the same price. They were not the more expensive 'iridium' NGK's. I decided to try them and noticed that the tips were very thin, almost like a needle. On my first run out, I had some problems. I took a run out on the highway and after a half hour at a constant 70 mph, the bike began to lose power and started backfiring, then all 4 cylinders shut down. It was like all 4 were flooded. After a minute at the side of the road, she started back up again on all 4. However, 2 or 3 miles down the road the same thing happened again. The 2nd time, I continued home keeping my speed down to 45 mph and made it back. I have now swapped these for the DPR8-ea9 and so far so good. I think the thinner tipped plugs just weren't able to handle the fuel load and may have been more susceptible to any contaminants in the fuel. Fuel here in the Philippines is often a problem and generally not the best quality. I was wondering if anybody else has had a similar problem?

P.S. I had just filled the tank before getting on the highway, so I'm not ruling out the possibility that bad gas may have been the cause. I drained and refilled the tank when I swapped back with new plugs the next day.

P.S. I had just filled the tank before getting on the highway, so I'm not ruling out the possibility that bad gas may have been the cause. I drained and refilled the tank when I swapped back with new plugs the next day.

My guess would be bad fuel.

Unless the heat range is totally wrong......the narrow electrode should not be a problem.

I'm using that style NGK plug is n my Gen 2 VMax and F-150 with very good results.

Thanks....seems it was the fuel that was the issue then and not the plugs.

Latest posts

Back