New member.. thinking about buying a vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I am like 1,000,000 miles away from you, but I do have a Vmax for sale. I think. Yeah, I do - maybe. That's the thing about these bikes. They are hard to get away from once you have owned one. This is my third one. Was going to replace my Shadow Spirit 1100 of 9 years with a Honda Magna - wanted to keep the 'cruiser' comfort but get the 'V4' power. Ended up buying a friend's '89 Vmax. After I got the carbs cleaned out good, I 'bout scared myself with its power - forgot how hard they run. Last time I had one was in '98 - lots of Shadow miles since then. Sure love it for what it is. Ended up buying a Magna locally a few weeks later that I can 'go places' on. So, the Vmax is for sale - I think. CRAP! Really don't wanna sell it. The Vmax is not the fastest thing out there (but close!), the most comfortable (by a long shot), the most beautiful (curse you who think it's not), or the most practical. Which is EXACTLY why most people who own them love them so much. Curb appeal is off-the-charts. And, hey, if I end up keeping mine, I have no qualms showing up to a classic car gathering on my 28-year-old bike. Only thing that might get more attention would be a '63 split-window 'Vette or a '59 Ford Fairlane Skyliner!

Anyway, link to the Vmax follows. Good luck in your search. 'When' you buy one, you'll know right away why we love these bikes as we do. And you will not find a better forum community anywhere. An absolute wealth of knowledge freely and eagerly given here.

https://mcallen.craigslist.org/mcy/5958511358.html

Thats a heck of a bike, especially for the $$. I hope the OP takes a ride on one before making a final determination, there really is something special about these things.

That's a fair price for a sorted VMax without a lot of miles.

00a0a_jwgPYk6zqq2_600x450.jpg

When I got it, had not been started in over a year, and ridden less than 250 miles in the last 3 years. I installed a new battery, flushed / bled clutch and front brakes, drained fuel tank and carbs, cleaned carbs using "shotgun" method (on the bike), all four air/fuel adjustment screw kits replaced, two new throttle cables installed, new spark plugs, engine oil & filter changed (Shell Rotella T4 15w40 w/ Yamaha filter element), and new Bridgestone Exedra tires front & rear. Runs 100% correct. Running non-ethanol fuel in it. Carbs synchronized 27Jan17.

As far as I can tell, bike is 100% bone stock with exception of turn signals, hand grips, K&N air filter, and engine guards. 24,088 miles and counting (riding it at least once a week). All lights / indicators / gauges work, plates/inspection good to 11/2017. Very nice dark blue body panels with no scratches, all chrome parts in excellent condition. Only two aluminum parts with some corrosion (below and above the headlight, see pics). Engine paint a little thin in areas, probably due to run-off carb cleaner from previous owners.

Awesome bike at a very reasonable price. Clean, blue title in my name in hand. Extra Yamaha engine oil filter w/ o-ring seals, and bike cover included with sale. No trades, tire kickers, or low-ballers. ONLY serious, experienced riders, please (let's not waste each other's time, OK?). Price firm at $2,750. Text (956)eight 73-two 576.

I appreciate the kind words, Fire-medic, and the link. I believe 100% in telling the truth, especially on something that someone is going to be entrusting their life on. "This is what it is, this is what it's got on it, this is what's right with it, this is what's wrong with it. Priced more than fairly. No haggling - don't like it, move along". Still torn between selling or not. Wife went down almost 3 weeks ago on her Vulcan 500 following me around a curve. Low-sided the bike, no major damage to the bike, and thankfully no major damage to the wife. Lots of road rash, bruises, etc, but should go back to work tomorrow. That little incident kinda keeps me thinking I ought to sell it - just so I don't 'occasionally' use the Vmax like it's supposed to be used! But, dang, it's paid for, and fits nicely in the garage next to the Magna...

I know I am like 1,000,000 miles away from you, but I do have a Vmax for sale. I think. Yeah, I do - maybe. That's the thing about these bikes. They are hard to get away from once you have owned one. This is my third one. Was going to replace my Shadow Spirit 1100 of 9 years with a Honda Magna - wanted to keep the 'cruiser' comfort but get the 'V4' power. Ended up buying a friend's '89 Vmax. After I got the carbs cleaned out good, I 'bout scared myself with its power - forgot how hard they run. Last time I had one was in '98 - lots of Shadow miles since then. Sure love it for what it is. Ended up buying a Magna locally a few weeks later that I can 'go places' on. So, the Vmax is for sale - I think. CRAP! Really don't wanna sell it. The Vmax is not the fastest thing out there (but close!), the most comfortable (by a long shot), the most beautiful (curse you who think it's not), or the most practical. Which is EXACTLY why most people who own them love them so much. Curb appeal is off-the-charts. And, hey, if I end up keeping mine, I have no qualms showing up to a classic car gathering on my 28-year-old bike. Only thing that might get more attention would be a '63 split-window 'Vette or a '59 Ford Fairlane Skyliner!

Anyway, link to the Vmax follows. Good luck in your search. 'When' you buy one, you'll know right away why we love these bikes as we do. And you will not find a better forum community anywhere. An absolute wealth of knowledge freely and eagerly given here.

https://mcallen.craigslist.org/mcy/5958511358.html

Nice bike and reasonable price.

Something isn't matching up though. That color is not from a '89. Looks like the midnight blue from a '90.

Either the year is wrong, or the tins were painted/changed.

You are correct, sir. No 'Vmax' badge on the side covers, and the emissions tag on bottom of the faux tank cover says 'passes emissions for model year 1985', as well as having a Kerker sticker and several others under there. No Kerker exhaust. I assume all three pieces were traded out at some point in time. I know my '86 model was the dark blue, and I pulled the two fenders and tank cover and had them painted Mopar Plum Crazy. Not that big a chore to do.

I know the year is right - 1989. Production date is either 10/1988 or 09/1988 , can't remember which. I'm on a tractor planting milo on the farm right now, so I can't go check ! ! :biglaugh:

Also, thought I saw somewhere that the side covers where the 'Vmax' emblem is was different in '85, is that correct? Did they not have the badges, or were they different somehow? Just curious, since these are naked and I don't see any evidence there ever were any on it.

I know the year is right - 1989. Production date is either 10/1988 or 09/1988 , can't remember which. I'm on a tractor planting milo on the farm right now, so I can't go check ! ! :biglaugh:

Also, thought I saw somewhere that the side covers where the 'Vmax' emblem is was different in '85, is that correct? Did they not have the badges, or were they different somehow? Just curious, since these are naked and I don't see any evidence there ever were any on it.

In '85, the side covers were stamped with the word vmax.
Subsequent years just have the emblem glued on.

Thanks again for all the replies, I'm not even a vmax owner and I can tell how Freud let everyone here is already.. I think my final determination is ultimatly going to be to get rid of the caddy and keep the HD (and payment, while paying it off faster) and buying an older car for cash (maybe a 10 year old caddy or lincoln town car) as much as I love my car I can't justify getting rid of my HD when the caddy is dropping in value like a rock, is now 7 years old, and has 115k onit.. it is super clean and looks new though and girls love it (part of the reason I love it lol) but I'll probably still hang around here and now that I will only have one payment I should be able to add a few more bikes to the stable (including a vmax) I've learned that I shouldn't have financed a "toy" in the first place

Thanks again for all the replies, I'm not even a vmax owner and I can tell how Freud let everyone here is already.. I think my final determination is ultimatly going to be to get rid of the caddy and keep the HD (and payment, while paying it off faster) and buying an older car for cash (maybe a 10 year old caddy or lincoln town car) as much as I love my car I can't justify getting rid of my HD when the caddy is dropping in value like a rock, is now 7 years old, and has 115k onit.. it is super clean and looks new though and girls love it (part of the reason I love it lol) but I'll probably still hang around here and now that I will only have one payment I should be able to add a few more bikes to the stable (including a vmax) I've learned that I shouldn't have financed a "toy" in the first place

I'm a former Lincoln guy, big fan of the 4.6L. I picked up a 96 Lexus LS400 on "accident" a couple years ago just to get a reliable temporary sedan on the cheap. It should be illegal to buy a car this well engineered and built for under $5k. I love this car and dont ever see going back to a domestic. Lexus (Toyota) totally nailed the full-size V8, rear wheel drive luxo sedan, not sure you can do any better without spending LOTS more money.

Good luck with all! :punk:

Luxury cars just don't hold value.. someone paid 60k for my caddy 7 years ago, I spend 17k last year

I have a 1996 lincoln. I looked up the price for it new. Just under 40K. I bought it a year and a half ago for $1000. from a 93 year old lady in Florida. Great condition

I ended up grabbing that super clean 79 Suzuki gs1000 off my buddy. Now I'm still deciding weather or not I keep that bike and my car or keep that bike and my hd and down grade my car.. decisions to be made

Latest posts

Back